Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   How do you store your family's shoes? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=507196)

Blue-EyedLady 07-26-2014 10:54 AM

How do you store your family's shoes?

Especially the kids' shoes? I'm sick of the pile by the front door that everyone trips on.

houseforjoy 07-26-2014 10:58 AM

Re: How do you store your family's shoes?

they have a plastic bin that fits under their bed or dresser. we do still get the pile by the door, but once a day i usually tell everyone to grab their shoes and put them away, or if it is a big pile i will let one of my littler ones put everyone's away for a "chore"

ValiantJoy07 07-26-2014 11:24 AM

We have this eight inside the front door http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80156120/

And I have a cheap rubber basket in the door way (about 18inch deep door well) of the back kitchen door (rain boots and crocs and flip flops water shows- what have hog get thrown in there the minute they walk in).

Shoes still get thrown in the floor, but a simple "put your shoes away" keeps it mostly under control. Church/dress shoes any extra seasonal shoes are in a laundry basket in their closer,

BarefootBetsy 07-26-2014 11:33 AM

We have stacking plastic baskets inside our coat closet by the front door. Each child has their own basket and we go through them maybe twice a year to pull out shoes that are too small and see what is needed after the too small shoes are shuffled around to the smaller children :)

HadassahSukkot 07-26-2014 01:01 PM

We have two of these. IKEA has since discontinued them. The inside of each drawer looks like this.

WanderingJuniper 07-26-2014 02:51 PM

We have a grey bin behind the door they all throw their shoes in. Nothing fancy but no unruly piles and no shoes strewn about the house either.

Aerynne 07-26-2014 03:00 PM

We have a little locker thing behind our door. Each kid has a canvas basket over a place to hang their coat over two shelves for shoes. They can keep two pair of shoes there (one on each shelf). I don't care which shoes they pick to keep there. The rest go on a shoe rack in a closet we have in the family room.

lucie 07-26-2014 03:01 PM

We have a small closet right by the door, and I hung two of the hanging clothes organizers in there. I think they're originally meant for sweaters or something... We use the lower cubbies for shoes and the upper ones for hats and the kids' sweatshirts (since they're too little to hang). DH and I put most of our shoes on the floor under the cubbies. We also have a bench with two drawers in the hallway for shoes that we don't use regularly, but the drawers are bit too heavy for kids to pull out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beth1231 07-26-2014 03:16 PM

They're all lined up along my kitchen wall. You see them as soon as you come in. My three year old recently took over the task to keep them in neat pairs.

RealLifeMama 07-26-2014 04:16 PM

It is not the most attractive thing, but we have two of those 9 suare cubbie things in our entryway.
They are like this
Before we had child number 5, we could get away with just one.
Anyway, we have a column of cubbies for each person's shoes, and then a basket drawer for their other "out the door" things.

sweetpeas 07-26-2014 05:19 PM

We have a rubber or plastic (not sure which) "tray" (they sell them in the winter time to set boots in) that slides under the butcher block "island" right by our back door. We also have a shelf thingy (I got it at Aldis several years ago, it's designed for shoes) by the door where more shoes are put. Part of our afternoon tidy is making sure all shoes are one of those 2 places, or in the owner's closet. If it starts getting out of control I mandate all but 1 pair per person goes back to closets, to get it back under control. When we had a bigger entry area we had a bench with a big drawer in it and we tossed all shoes in the drawer.

canadiyank 07-26-2014 05:24 PM

Cubbies by the door (we also have had wire racks in the past). The rest go in their room, on the shelves. Mine I have stacking shoe racks and a strict one-in-one-out policy, as I kind of love shoes. :shifty

homesteadmama 07-28-2014 07:37 AM

I have a pretty laundry basket by each door (like a real basket, not plastic) that we throw our shoes in. It's my attempt to make it not too unsightly. ;)

Blue-EyedLady 07-28-2014 08:01 AM

I'm thinking about a boot tray under the dresser for the "extra" shoes. I actually don't mind one pair by each door, so long as they're not a tripping hazard. There really isn't a place for a basket or shelf by either door, though. :think

cbmk4 07-28-2014 09:15 AM

They are in the garage on shoe racks. The ones worn less frequently are also in a garage but in a box or bin.