Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Entrees / Main Dishes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=541)
-   -   Easy Main Dishes to Freeze? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=503843)

Mama2mylittles 05-03-2014 08:19 PM

Easy Main Dishes to Freeze?

Hi there. I have a one month old, and two older kiddos, and am finding meal times a bit challenging. The preparing of meals, anyway. One idea I had is that DH and/or I could do a bit of batch cooking on the weekend. Cook 4-5 meals worth of a single dish, and eat one and freeze the rest. If I did that each weekend, eventually I would have quite a variety of frozen meals that could be pulled out the night before and popped into the crock pot or oven or into a pan on the stove and heated up. It would make cooking with a new babe more simple, and less stressful.

I am wondering if you have suggestions on easy meals that freeze well. I am open to more complex meals, as long as they freeze well and are easy to cook or heat after being frozen. For example, one of my stand bys is meatloaf. I mix up a batch, put it in loaf pans, and freeze raw. Then I can pop into the oven with some potatoes, add a bagged salad, and call that dinner. It is an easy, homemade meal that requires very little prep the day of, and is much more cost effective and nutritious than eating take out or premade meals from the store.

I am looking for more ideas like that, if anyone cares to share.

Thanks!

Michelle

charla 05-03-2014 08:34 PM

Re: Easy Main Dishes to Freeze?

Lasagna - This is my favorite recipe.

If you are on pinterest, you can search for freezer meals and there are tons and tons of ideas there to suit any palate.

I tend to not freeze much because for some reason I can't remember what's in the freezer, :doh but I'm sure there are more mamas here who do freeze things. Hopefully they'll be along here in the next few days. :) I just happened to know that lasagna recipe freezes really well because I've done it several times. :yes

MaybeGracie 05-03-2014 08:51 PM

I find pre-made meatballs (cooked or raw) and hamburger patties are useful to have on hand in the freezer. I also like to cook and shred a whole chicken, then freeze that and slowly use it as needed (soups, chicken curries, quesadillas, pizza, etc).

IslandHome 05-04-2014 02:28 AM

I love to freeze meatloaf in muffin tins as well for a quick lunch.
I also freeze:
Pasta and vegie sauce when tomatoes are in season. Just add some beans or mince, and rice or pasta and it's an easy meal
Meat patties - mix in rice and veggies and freeze them raw
Sausage rolls - I make a vegetarian version which freezes well
Soups
Chickpea curry
Chicken pie

Mama2mylittles 05-06-2014 09:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the meat loaf in muffin tins idea. And the reminder about pinterest is great. I will look there, along with the ideas in this thread.

esperanza 05-07-2014 03:59 AM

Baby just erased my reply! Quick retype.
Check heavenly homemaker blog, make ahead meals.
We really like her meals. Super easy to double recipe- one for dinner, one for the freezer. Just ate the beefy enchilada bake the other night and getting the salsa enchiladas out of the freezer for tonight. When I double it I use one pound of ground beef and one can of black beans. Saves money, no difference in taste.
I'm all about easy freezer meals!!

sara1215 05-07-2014 05:49 AM

Some of these have already been mentioned, but these are my go-to freezer meals. Lasagna, mac and cheese, chili, meatloaf, chicken spaghetti (so good).

Happygrl 05-07-2014 06:19 AM

There's a long thread here with lots of ideas and recipes. I'm on my phone, so I can't search but if you search for OAMC or freezer meals, it should come up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk