Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   Fair trade Coffee (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=465131)

swimming with sharks 11-08-2012 10:24 AM

Fair trade Coffee

If you use it, what brand do you use? I like dark roasts (italian, espresso, french, etc). :think

The Tickle Momster 11-08-2012 02:54 PM

Re: Fair trade Coffee

Camano Island Coffee Roasters :yum

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 11-08-2012 03:04 PM

We buy the packaged Starbucks coffee...I dont see the fair trade symbol on it but supposedly it is...

I miss the full circle FT coffee at BJs...but its not worth a membership I wont use otherwise.

Luciola 11-08-2012 04:04 PM

equalexchangecoffee.coop - darkbreakfast blend

swimming with sharks 11-09-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (Post 4954403)
We buy the packaged Starbucks coffee...I dont see the fair trade symbol on it but supposedly it is...

I miss the full circle FT coffee at BJs...but its not worth a membership I wont use otherwise.

Is this true about STBX?? :think That's what we currently use! I'd love to keep my coffee :heart AND it be ft. :rockon

I have a BJ's membership that currently gets a hefty workout...I can check for that coffee if the stbx isn't ft. :yes :ty

I went and looked and indeed STBX says their packaged stuff is FT!! :jump2 I'm glad I asked. :mrgreen

TestifyToLove 11-09-2012 05:39 AM

Starbucks is NOT fair trade. They did add a fair trade coffer label to their line-up but it is often very hard to find. Nothing is ever fair trade if it is doen't have the labels and recognized by the Fair Trade Comission.

I haven't found Kuerig options for fair trade very easily. I normally drink Green Mountain because it is fair trade and has the certification on the side.

When not using my Kuerig, I typically prefer Ethiopian Fair Trade. My favorite place to buy it is Dean's Beans which has less of a mark up than many fair trade suppliers. Green Mountain doesn't have Ethiopian in their Fair Trade line-up but I can find it locally and it fits in my budget, even if I normally drinnk their Sumatran.

I get paid for the first time in two weeks and I need to research. I REALLY want to find Ethiopian fair trade I can use with my Kuerig, even if I have to investigate whether I need to re-use K-cups somehow.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I've had far too many coffee blends directly from the international sources and I find far too many options imported to be lacking in what they are like at the source. I really, really like the flavor of the Ethiopian and if I can find it fair trade, it is my absolute favorite. The Sumatran I get from Green Mountain tastes like it's weaker than just grinds. I probably need to just give the Kuerig to the boys and go back to my French Press for me, except the boys would bankrupt me that way.

swimming with sharks 11-09-2012 05:50 AM

So it looks like they made up a name (CAFE) rather than using the FT stuff.
Here's a link to the Starbucks program
I wonder what's different between the two? Anyone know? :think Their program 'sounds' good but in reality is it? :scratch:shifty

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

so doing more searching (in case anyone else is interested...) I found this so it looks like STBUX has 1 variety of coffee that is fair trade. :-/

Kazimiera 11-09-2012 05:51 AM

Starbucks coffee is ethically sourced and they work to make it sustainably grown. They do everything they can to support their growers and have extra initiatives that work to improve life in the locals where their coffee is grown and roasted. So although it is true that all of their coffees do not have the "fair trade" label. It is a coffee I can feel good about purchasing.

TestifyToLove 11-09-2012 06:06 AM

Starbucks still buys on the same market as companies such as Nestle, Johnson & Johnson, and Proctor & Gamble. They are extremely resisitive to complying with accepted norms for Fair Trade and instead developed their own program which only exists in one or two places, only filters into ONE label of their coffees and is NOT recognized Fair Trade.

No one can understand why Starbucks insists upon this and it is one criticism I actually hold against the company. Growers in several countries petitioned Starbucks to enter Fair Trade and consumers have petitioned for the same, yet they refuse. There is a REASON you need to look for Fair Trade labeling on products. There are only 2 Fair Trade organizations that truly check to make sure it is FAIR TRADE and not merely a label put onto a product to raise prices.

Starbucks is not fair trade. Whatever they are claiming in their own program only applies to that one program AND there is no oversight to it. There is NO indepdent party that has looked at whatever this alternative they claim is actually doing. Unless you are purchasing that one label, then it's not even that program. It's just open market coffee if it's not that program.

chasingbutterflies 11-09-2012 06:17 AM

https://www.aspirecoffeeworks.com/

We like their bold. With that said, neither of us are connoisseurs.

justbreathe 11-09-2012 06:30 AM

The Sam's choice brand I've been buying from Walmart says it's Fair Trade. :shifty (though I haven't researched it at all) It's very economical and the decaf is Organic, though I don't thinkit's fair trade. :think

Lady TS 11-09-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestifyToLove (Post 4955401)
Starbucks is NOT fair trade. They did add a fair trade coffer label to their line-up but it is often very hard to find. Nothing is ever fair trade if it is doen't have the labels and recognized by the Fair Trade Comission.

I haven't found Kuerig options for fair trade very easily. I normally drink Green Mountain because it is fair trade and has the certification on the side.

When not using my Kuerig, I typically prefer Ethiopian Fair Trade. My favorite place to buy it is Dean's Beans which has less of a mark up than many fair trade suppliers. Green Mountain doesn't have Ethiopian in their Fair Trade line-up but I can find it locally and it fits in my budget, even if I normally drinnk their Sumatran.

I get paid for the first time in two weeks and I need to research. I REALLY want to find Ethiopian fair trade I can use with my Kuerig, even if I have to investigate whether I need to re-use K-cups somehow.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I've had far too many coffee blends directly from the international sources and I find far too many options imported to be lacking in what they are like at the source. I really, really like the flavor of the Ethiopian and if I can find it fair trade, it is my absolute favorite. The Sumatran I get from Green Mountain tastes like it's weaker than just grinds. I probably need to just give the Kuerig to the boys and go back to my French Press for me, except the boys would bankrupt me that way.

Do you know about the reusable K-cups you can buy and put regular coffee in? You probably did, but I wanted to let you know, in case you hadn't seen them. ;)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 11-09-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady TS (Post 4955477)
Do you know about the reusable K-cups you can buy and put regular coffee in? You probably did, but I wanted to let you know, in case you hadn't seen them. ;)

I was gonna tell her about the same thing! :heart

Emerald Orchid 11-09-2012 06:55 AM

I drink Kicking Horse, they have a good variety.

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/

doubleblessings 11-09-2012 06:57 AM

TTL, not specifically Ethiopian, but you might try
http://www.keurig.com/coffee/africana-coffee-k-cup-vh

Also, the patent has expired so you will start seeing more companies selling their own coffee in k-cups when they get production facilities up and running since they don't have to contract with Green Mountain now to do it.

This is the reusable k-cup we have. I think there are a few more options out now, not sure if they are better.

Oh and I don't drink much coffee, but when I do it is Green Mountain (or one we can get from them). Right now it we have pumpkin spice :giggle