Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Is it possible to strip dipes without a washing machine? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=406945)

Mommainrwanda 04-27-2011 05:53 AM

Is it possible to strip dipes without a washing machine?

How would you do it?

Our houseworker washes all of the Urchin's diapers by hand. They pretty much always feel damp along the edges after about an hour of wear and soak into whatever she's wearing. So I think they need to be stripped.

This is such a unique problem I'm not sure if anybody has advice? Suggestions? Even shot-in-the-dark ideas? :shrug3

DoulaClara 04-27-2011 05:55 AM

Re: Is it possible to strip dipes without a washing machine?

I would try boiling them in a pot of water... but, how is the access to water where you are?

mamamonkey 04-27-2011 05:55 AM

I stripped all DS's in the sink when he had a reaction to Charlie's soap. I just used Dawn and a sink full of hot water. Rinsed until I didn't get a ton of soap and then did my wash as normal.

Mommainrwanda 04-27-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaClara (Post 3864024)
I would try boiling them in a pot of water... but, how is the access to water where you are?

Our access to water is pretty good...but my access to a big pot is another matter. I'm exhausted just thinking about boiling them three at a time... :spinsaroundandfaints

But it might be the only way...

newday 04-28-2011 09:32 PM

I don't quite understand what the problem with the dipe is? Does she pee a lot? Does it not seem absorbent?

Mommainrwanda 04-28-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newday (Post 3868968)
I don't quite understand what the problem with the dipe is? Does she pee a lot? Does it not seem absorbent?

I feel like they just aren't absorbing well. I don't know...maybe she does pee a lot?

I do double stuff at night and leaking by morning doesn't bother me because I know she's gone a long time. It's just that during the daytime I feel like I have to change her every hour because she's leaking out the legs of her diapers. We don't have access to any special kinds of detergent so there's pretty much guaranteed to be buildup.

I just want to be able to go longer without having to change her :shrug3

newday 04-29-2011 05:36 AM

I think stripping would probably be a good idea then :yes
Also, I have to change a ten-month old more than every hour - at least a couple of mine peed so often. Just fwiw. :hug

And, if I were you I would be tempted to skip using detergent of any kind... maybe try an acid (like vinegar) and then some borax :think Just a thought.
I hope you are able to get them working for you.

Have you ever read about ECing -- Elimination Communication? You might like to start doing it with her when she wakes up from naps or just before/after meals. You could find it greatly cuts down on the huge pee dipes :think Just an idea.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

PS -- I love your blog. Sweet photos and stories. Very nicely done :tu Your baby is a doll :heart

Mommainrwanda 04-29-2011 05:59 AM

Glad you enjoyed the blog :heart It's my small creative outlet.

We do EC first thing in the morning. Usually it catches her bowel movement for the day. She's not as keen on peeing so she usually just gets annoyed if I stick her on the toilet after a nap. I'm trying to find the balance between holding a squirming 20 lb babe on the toilet until she relaxes vs. saying its not worth it if she's worked up. :shrug3

Anyway, thanks for the diaper help. Good to know that maybe she's just a heavy wetter. We're definitely using disposables on the plane this summer. Can you imagine walking off of an international flight with 10 soggy diapers in a wet bag? :roll

newday 04-29-2011 06:15 AM

one thing that helps me to potty a resistant babe is just holding them over the pot, without their bottoms touching... with their back against/between my legs.

twentysixcats 04-29-2011 08:20 PM

I know people who have stripped them in their dishwasher before.