Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   trimming or filing a dogs nails by yourself? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522521)

Radosny Matka 04-04-2017 06:40 AM

trimming or filing a dogs nails by yourself?

Can someone advise me on trimming or filing a dogs nails? My vet office won't do it because he "hasn't been seen for vaccines since 2015." He had a three year rabies shot. I'm not spending $50 for an office visit and then more for an unneeded rabies shot when he's good for another year. Thanks.

update: I just bought an electric nail trimmer off amazon. I will watch some youtube videos, but if anyone has any suggestions/tips, I would appreciate it. :)

mamacat 04-04-2017 07:29 AM

Re: trimming or filing a dogs nails by yourself?

You got the little grinder kind? Have not tried that kind.Depends on dogs personality. Am told there are dogs that you can kind of settle them in your lap and they dont mind. Our small pups turn into these strong wildcats when we trim theirs.They thrash and scratch and yip. None of us look forward to it. My adult son can not keep a grip on them. Maybe the little grinder would feel less uncomfortable; Following!

RiverRock 04-04-2017 08:19 AM

We have a "strong wildcat" German Shepherd. It takes two of us to trim his nails. We bought the scissor like clippers and were advised to take a small amount off often so there is less chance of bleeding and so our dog gets used to having his nails trimmed. We haven't kept up with the trimming unfortunately...but we had good intentions. :shrug3

Radosny Matka 04-04-2017 08:21 AM

Yes, I got this one from amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not brave enough to use the clippers. My dog has extremely, abnormally long nail beds. The vets always clip and cause bleeding on a few nails. :( My lab is super laid back. I don't think he will have a problem with the grinder. I just want to make sure I do it correctly. I'll youtube some videos later too

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

oh shoot! I just realized the listing says small/medium dogs. blah Maybe I need to cancel this order and get a bigger one??? (well, it says it can be used on large too. I guess I will just return it if it doesn't work. Anyone know?)
Save

mamacat 04-04-2017 08:51 AM

It looks like it has 2 ports? I just got a different kind in and wish I had thought to try this kind

Atsirk 04-04-2017 10:24 AM

If it makes any kind of buzzing/vibrating sound it might be good just to turn it on near your pup so they get used to the sound before you try to actually use it on them.