Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Suggestions for grain free cat food? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522380)

Beauty4Ashes 03-19-2017 07:25 PM

Suggestions for grain free cat food?

Any place to buy grainfree cat food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I heard that maybe better quality cat food could help Ginger with her thinning fur. Someone also suggested fish oils. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmommy 03-19-2017 07:29 PM

Re: Suggestions for grain free cat food?

We use Sheba

Soliloquy 03-19-2017 07:57 PM

We use Taste of the Wild. I order from chewy.com.

I've heard that Tractor Supply has great grain free pet food. And Costco. But I haven't tried them, they're too far away from me.

Lady Grey 03-19-2017 08:08 PM

We use Merrick Before Grain, that I get on Amazon. It did improve his coat. (his previous owner used 9 Lives)

MegMarch 03-19-2017 08:15 PM

I do Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet canned and dry. ThE company will send you coupons and frequent buyer programs, but I usually get ours from Amazon subscribe and save.

There are salmon oils sold for pets but mine weren't fans. I do give them unseasoned fish in small portions when we have it.

Maedchen 03-19-2017 08:48 PM

We have to also accommodate my husband's allergies, so we do grain free.

We order Earthborn wet and dry cat food from Vitacost.com It is cheaper than my local supplier and they deliver for free if you meet the shipping fee limit. (They also send emails with codes for $ or% off the price. I think you can look up a code for your first time order also.) It is a little pricey, but our oldest cat is going through liver failure and the 3 others throw up a lot on other brands.

Reva 03-28-2017 01:46 PM

I'll second Taste of the Wild. I don't buy it anymore bc one of my cats can *only * eat Blue Buffalo Sensitive stomach (he will throw anything else up). But I used to buy it all the time at Tractor Supply. Chewy .com has great prices on most of their stuff too though.

Tractor Supply also carries a brand called 4Health. I think it might be their house brand, but I could be completely wrong about that. ;) That's what we give to our outside cats. It's a lot more affordable than TotW. They have two versions, but one is grain free.

Sadly, most grain free foods are pricey. :(

domesticzookeeper 03-28-2017 06:07 PM

If you've got the brainspace for it, CatInfo.org is the website to study. Dr. Pearson has done heaps of (well cited) research on feeding cats properly and makes updates to her recommendations as the information/understanding changes :rockon If you want to really dig into the data, it's there, but she also offers some concise suggestions. She keeps a list, most recently updated just this month, analyzing the breakdown of protein/fat/carbs in pretty much every available commercial cat food: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProte...horusChart.pdf

I went through it all just this past week*, and the real stand-outs for content were (in order of cost):
  1. Tiki Cat [Koolina or Puka Puka]
  2. Nature's Recipe [Indoor or Chicken & Turkey]
  3. Against the Grain [Caribbean Club Chicken]
  4. VeRus [Beef, Apple, Vegetable]
  5. Iams Purrfect Delights [Winner, Winner with Chicken]
  6. Fancy Feast's Chicken Tray is shockingly decent and shockingly the MOST expensive :jawdrop
Grain-free =/= low carb. All of those foods have carbs under 2% and protein over 50%. It may or may not help you, but I figure the legwork should benefit someone :giggle

*I had been curious to see the cost comparison between a good commercial food and the homemade diet (also from CatInfo) that we have done for over a decade. It's been great but it is so. much. work. Commercial foods start at three times the cost :spitSo I guess we're sticking with work :doh

marigold 03-28-2017 08:33 PM

Did not read the replies but we use Costco's grain-free cat food and our cats are doing well. It is less than half the cost of the grain free stuff at the local pet food store.

milkmommy 03-28-2017 11:58 PM

I said it earlier but we use Sheba the "perfect portions" which are a tiny bit more than the cans but the convience for us is worth it. Its not top quality but it is grain free. We pay about $9 every two weeks and she gets a "portion" twice a day.
We do supplement some with a higher quality grain free dry food usually Wellness brand. However a bag lasts us a long time. Our cat can not handle food with wheat or gluten really she gets runny bloody stools. She has been very healthy on the sheba nice super soft shiny coat healthy weight etc.. She is also an indoor/outdoor cat though so she is also getting some "ideal" meals as we have plenty of mice and other things for her to catch.
We did have her on more expensive grain free foods for a time but we simply needed to find a cheeper solution, this has been the best so far. We will do classic fancy feast if in a pinch but she tends to still have runny stools with that.

Beauty4Ashes 03-29-2017 02:22 AM

Thanks everyone. I started looking and felt so overwhelmed by all the options. Turns out there are many small businesses that sell grain free food. Ginger would benefit from it, so would her kids and Elmo, but that's 6 cats. I will find something though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk