Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

Stiina 03-15-2013 09:50 AM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

Not as big as DM's, I bet...but ya Karisa I got it from a friend who used a really wide jar. I don't really know what to do with it. So I just rolled it up and stuffed it in my small jar. :)

Dovenoir 03-17-2013 12:38 PM

Free E-Book on K-tea on Kindle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ouristreasu-20

HadassahSukkot 03-18-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovenoir (Post 5194405)

Thanks! I shared this one on Google+ for others who might be interested :giggle

dakotablue 03-25-2013 10:03 AM

ok, so my Bucha sat in my basement (not underground, my '1st' floor is 1st in front, but 2nd in back) for a few months. It was cold down there...not sure how cold.

It had grown a TON of new scobies in that time and turned almost to vinegar.

I brewed for the 1st time (again) and its been a week. There isn't a new scoby forming and the tea...well looks like tea. There is a slight kombucha taste, but that could be from the starter.

I think my scoby went dormant. How do I wake it up? I really really want to start drinking this stuff!

cobluegirl 03-25-2013 10:06 AM

try adding a little bit of sugar....

Stiina 03-25-2013 10:25 AM

Good luck waking up your scoby!!!

JenLovie 03-25-2013 11:29 AM

Trader Joes has an awesome peach juice that makes amazing kombucha. So tasty. :yum

houseforjoy 03-25-2013 12:01 PM

try and keep it in a really warm spot ( i keep mine in the bathroom -- it seems to like my hot long steamy showers :eyebrows :giggle)

Glitterfish 03-25-2013 12:59 PM

So I tried doing a 2nd ferment using 100% juice instead of fruit (I used the WIC juice :shifty)

and oh, the fizz!! :yum It is soooo good! I think it tastes like fruity soda, but DH says it doesn't, and that it's just been too long since I drank real soda :giggle

I poured it out of the big jar (I use one w/a locking lid to 2nd ferment :tu) into smaller jars to put in the fridge, and it had at least 2-3 inches of foam on top!

houseforjoy 03-25-2013 01:56 PM

yeah that is why i love using the POM juice. i use about a cup for a full batch of bucha, and i second ferment it in the smaller bottles. and yes fizzy and delicious. *just* the thing to go with a pizza :yum

HomeWithMyBabies 03-25-2013 09:13 PM

I've had three gallons of booch sitting around since the start of the year. :hiding I need to get on top of this situation.

I've been drinking some of the super sour stuff from the batch before that one :shifty and I don't think me tummy likey. :blah

Stiina 03-28-2013 11:49 AM

ew. How can you even DO that??? My mouth gets all...BLEGGGHHRRRRHHHAAAAHHH when I drink a batch that's a tiny bit sour. You're brave!

shekinah 03-28-2013 01:54 PM

I like it really sour. I had gotten behind in making it at one point so thought I would hurry it along and just bottle it after two weeks, but it was so sweet it tasted like it had gone bad. Bleck. Four weeks is my happy spot with another week in the bottles on the counter. If it *burns* it's too much, but if it's just strong, it's perfect :D

Stiina 03-28-2013 02:15 PM

wow! I let mine sit 7 days only :jawdrop I was going to try 10 days this time around. I wonder if I will like it better to let it sit much longer!!! I'm excited to see :)

Glitterfish 03-28-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 5211681)
wow! I let mine sit 7 days only :jawdrop I was going to try 10 days this time around. I wonder if I will like it better to let it sit much longer!!! I'm excited to see :)

I only let mine sit for 7 days too.... I let it go 2 weeks once and it was :sick

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

But, our house is pretty warm all the time too.... I wonder if that has anything to do w/ it? The warmer temp makes it "brew" faster? It's always between 72-80 because of the woodstove :think