Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

AngelaVA 11-28-2011 08:34 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

Quote:

Originally Posted by derdsgirl (Post 4271812)
I have a question! or two!

I've been seeing info about kombucha in different places on and off for the last year. So finally today, I bought a bottle at Whole Foods to satisfy my curiosity as to what it is. Is it supposed to taste like vinegar? It was kinda sweet, but I couldn't get past the vinegar flavor. I wanted to try learning more about it, and maybe making some, because the health benefits look great, but I don't know that I could ever swallow anything that remotely tasted like vinegar. The brand was GT Daves Botanic No. 7. Maybe I just got a flavor that was supposed to be more vinegary?

So basically my question is - can someone point me to a Kombucha I can buy at Whole Foods that is sweet with no hints of vinegar? I want to learn to like the flavor before I attempt to brew my own.

Also - is there an age limit on this stuff? Can my children drink it or should they not? I hated the bottle we got today, but my 3yo took a few sips and liked it. I would let him drink the rest if he wants if it is ok. But I wasn't sure.

It's an aquired taste. I drank my first bottle of it wondering the whole time if I liked it or not :giggle My toddler liked it right away, my older child took a little longer. You might try the fruit flavored kind, like the mango or the gingerberry.

backtobasicsmum 12-02-2011 12:38 PM

Just an update....I am spreading the Kombucha love around my area. :giggle

My sweet SIL is trying it (easygoinmomma), I have my MIL/FIL/Greatgrandma going on it and this afternoon I have another friend from church coming out to get some "kombucha lessons" and a scoby. :rockon

And I have to say, I have not had a single day of digestion issues since starting to drink a glass a day. :rockon

easygoinmomma 12-02-2011 01:41 PM

I was actually coming to find this thread. I have a question. I put fruit into kombucha on monday and it has been sitting on my counter since and it looks like it is growing something on the top. Is this normal?

cobluegirl 12-02-2011 01:52 PM

growing something as in mold? or another scoby? Did you put a lid on it?

easygoinmomma 12-02-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl (Post 4318649)
growing something as in mold? or another scoby? Did you put a lid on it?

It looks bubbly on some and then like a skin on others. And yes, they all have lids on them.

cobluegirl 12-02-2011 02:00 PM

sounds like a new scoby... should be fine!

backtobasicsmum 12-02-2011 03:05 PM

I agree. Mine always look kind of like they have a skim on them, with the fruit...it is another scoby forming. I just throw it out.

easygoinmomma 12-02-2011 04:04 PM

It is kind of creepy. :shifty

Cheyenne 12-02-2011 04:09 PM

I was very intrigued to see this thread. I am very curious to try kombucha. I saw it recently sold in my local grocery store health section. Kinda pricey though.

I have to admit that I am very nervous about trying to make my own. Of course I am nervous about making other fermented foods. A subject probably for another thread.

:)

I think I may have to try the store bought one at least once or twice at first.

easygoinmomma 12-03-2011 06:09 PM

So, um, how sour is it suppose to be? Dh and I tried our first cup tonight and it was VERY sour.

cobluegirl 12-03-2011 06:10 PM

how long did it sit? the longer it sits the more sour it gets. If you don't like that flavor don't let it sit that long.

easygoinmomma 12-03-2011 06:24 PM

It sat on the counter without fruit for 2 weeks and then almost a week with the fruit in it.

backtobasicsmum 12-03-2011 06:34 PM

I don't like it to sit that long at all. I know Lisa and others do. I usually only let it sit with the scoby for 7-8 days (but I sniff it often. When it starts to first get that tangy smell, then I know it is done) and then with fruit for 2. Then into the fridge. I let a batch get too sour last week...I just dumped it out. :shrug3

derdsgirl 12-05-2011 08:33 PM

So I've tried a few more flavors and I am really starting to love this stuff. It definitely is an acquired taste. It kept our family from getting a bad cold that was going around over thanksgiving. We all felt it starting to come on and I made everyone drink a big glass of kombucha and we started to get better.

AND I talked to my SIL today, and her husband has been brewing kombucha for a while now and is bringing me a scoby over Christmas!!!

So I'm hooked. :) I'll be back later to read this all through when I actually get to brew some after Christmas.

I do have ONE question - where do you get half gallon jars? Or gallon jars? What is a reasonable price for these jars? Ok, that was three. :giggle

backtobasicsmum 12-05-2011 09:43 PM

I've begged around for my jars. :giggle But a couple of them have the label on them and they were from pickles or something from a restaurant. I'd ask around at some local eateries (not fast food) and see if they would keep some empty jars for you.