Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

2TMama 05-28-2013 12:03 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

Most recently did ginger/strawberry/rhubarb = YUM!:yes

TraceMama 07-11-2013 07:43 AM

So, if my scoby has been refrigerated in a tight container for the last 10-12 months :shifty, can I take it out of the fridge and use it to try again? :bag

2TMama 07-11-2013 07:53 AM

I would just try & see! You wouldn't be out much if it doesn't, right? I haven't been at this for that long.....my SCOBY has never hibernated more than a few weeks....but it seemed fine at that point.

Let us know how it goes....you don't have much to lose by trying!

JenLovie 07-11-2013 08:00 AM

Has it has some KT with it?

I made watermelon flavored KT (I just threw chunks in the bottles). Amazing. SO tasty. Subtle and sweet.

2TMama 07-11-2013 08:08 AM

Ohmygosh....Jennifer, that sounds delish! Too bad I have not been drinking KT since I found out about baby #3.....(did you while pg and or nursing?)

dakotablue 07-11-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TMama (Post 5372540)
Ohmygosh....Jennifer, that sounds delish! Too bad I have not been drinking KT since I found out about baby #3.....(did you while pg and or nursing?)

I did not while pregnant, I am while nursing. :shrug3

justbreathe 01-04-2014 04:06 PM

ok, I've only made it through pg 8 and I don't know if I have the patience to read all the way through before asking. :shifty

I don't have a SCOBY but I do have a bottle of store kombucha. It's raw and organic. I was thinking of attempting to make my own SCOBY from it? *BUT*, it's not plain - it has organic ginger juice in it. Will it still work to (maybe) form a SCOBY? :think

Hopetobe 01-04-2014 05:42 PM

kombucha 101 thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by justbreathe (Post 5603974)
ok, I've only made it through pg 8 and I don't know if I have the patience to read all the way through before asking. :shifty

I don't have a SCOBY but I do have a bottle of store kombucha. It's raw and organic. I was thinking of attempting to make my own SCOBY from it? *BUT*, it's not plain - it has organic ginger juice in it. Will it still work to (maybe) form a SCOBY? :think

I wouldn't use a flavored one, you could get mold or just not be totally right. Also, what kind is it, specifically? I ask because I've read that some, even raw now, don't make SCOBYs. Since the govt pressured them to play by the alcohol regulations, GT (and maybe others) has two different kinds, one has a tiny amount that is under the regulation limits"(Enlightened" I think) and one that is probably over ("Classic"). For GT's, the Classic will probably work while the Enlightened one probably won't.

If you lived near me I could give you a SCOBY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mama Rophe 01-04-2014 07:05 PM

If a person had amalgam fillings, would drinking KT be safe for them?

cobluegirl 01-04-2014 07:14 PM

hmm. I am not sure but I would venture to guess that most of us drinking it have amalgam fillings. I do.

Mama Rophe 01-04-2014 08:46 PM

I guess, I'd be in good company. :)

justbreathe 01-04-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopetobe (Post 5604090)
I wouldn't use a flavored one, you could get mold or just not be totally right. Also, what kind is it, specifically? I ask because I've read that some, even raw now, don't make SCOBYs. Since the govt pressured them to play by the alcohol regulations, GT (and maybe others) has two different kinds, one has a tiny amount that is under the regulation limits"(Enlightened" I think) and one that is probably over ("Classic"). For GT's, the Classic will probably work while the Enlightened one probably won't.

If you lived near me I could give you a SCOBY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

yeah, I finally just made it all the way through the thread. I need to check the brand of KT but I've lost hope that I can make kombucha from this stuff.

Definitely going to look for a local source for a SCOBY though. We do have a couple of GCMs nearby - hoping one of them has one. :)

HadassahSukkot 01-05-2014 11:04 AM

you could start your own from tea, but it's like a 4 week or more wait. So you have to worry about mold and bugs. :/

There are a few places online you can get them that are reputable, but it's best if you know someone who has one themselves.

As far as drinking with fillings - not a problem from what I understand. I asked the doctor and he was actually pretty amazed I even knew what Kombucha was, because that was either a "hippie" thing or something mostly the Russian and Bulgarian community do. :giggle I apparently continue to amaze them.

solatido 01-06-2014 10:47 AM

So my SCOBY has been sitting in a hotel for the betterpart of a year now... :shifty Think itwill still work? I saw a deal on amazon for a scoby, milk kefir, and water kefir grains that all ship separately for 14.99 total. I am tempted to just do that. WDYT?

cobluegirl 01-06-2014 10:52 AM

try it and see. I have done that before.