Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   I want my own domain (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526409)

Virginia 12-13-2018 09:26 AM

I want my own domain

Long story short, I want to be done blogging on Blogger/Blogspot. I want my own domain (www.firstnamelastname.com) and to use Wordpress for blogging.

I used WordPress and had a domain about six years ago, but a tech-savvy friend helped a lot. My website also wasn’t my first and last name.

What hosting site do you recommend and why?

Also, I’m not amazing at Wordpress— any resources to help me get better?
Or should I consider just having a website and not a blog? Idk.

One of my really big dreams that I’ve been writing down every day, a la Rachel Hollis, is to have a successful blog and podcast and to publish a book. I know moving into that space right now is challenging and the road is long, but I want to jump in.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiteria 12-13-2018 10:01 AM

Re: I want my own domain

I can't help with info about blogging, but I've been collecting info about writing and publishing books. I'll try to come back with links.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

You're a good writer, and I would look forward to seeing that from you. :heart

Virginia 12-13-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiteria (Post 6164594)
I can't help with info about blogging, but I've been collecting info about writing and publishing books. I'll try to come back with links.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

You're a good writer, and I would look forward to seeing that from you. :heart

Thank you! Also, thank you for those kind words :happytears I simultaneously know I’m a good writer but also constantly doubt whether I have anything of value to offer the world :shifty So I decided to write for me, put it out there, and that’s that; if it speaks to others, cool beans :)

ECingMama 12-13-2018 10:47 AM

If you write like you do here, you'd be great! Money Saving Mom has a whole blog to help new bloggers. She's making more than 100K a year blogging.

Young House Love . Com has a podcast webinar or something. They're also extremely successful.

I think consistent posting is more important than people realize. 4 days a week at same time every day.

Virginia 12-13-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6164609)
If you write like you do here, you'd be great! Money Saving Mom has a whole blog to help new bloggers. She's making more than 100K a year blogging.

Young House Love . Com has a podcast webinar or something. They're also extremely successful.

I think consistent posting is more important than people realize. 4 days a week at same time every day.

Thank you! I know monetizing a blog is really hard, so I would be interested in seeing how someone else does it :) :tu

Yes, consistent posting and high quality content are crucial, I think. Promoting successfully on social media can help, too.

ETA: My current blog, which started out as a way to just update my family and friends about my life, has been somewhat successful. Someone was telling me they went to a teaching conference three miles away and a random teacher who didn't know me brought up a blog I did on the toxic environment of teaching, so that was encouraging-- at least some of my content is resonating with my audience :heart

ECingMama 12-13-2018 12:16 PM

I don't think high quality content of as important as you think. People like oversharing. That's not necessarily quality! Lol

Knowing what to expect at each blog is what draws people on, I think. Who is your audience for your new blog? Working moms?

Virginia 12-13-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6164618)
I don't think high quality content of as important as you think. People like oversharing. That's not necessarily quality! Lol

Knowing what to expect at each blog is what draws people on, I think. Who is your audience for your new blog? Working moms?

Really? I can't read blogs with poor quality writing :giggle Even if I am interested in the topic, if it's not masterfully written, you've lost me as a reader :shrug

I don't have one specific audience. I plan to cover a variety of topics, as I've always done-- teachers, Christian moms, women who WOH, women who SAH (since I mostly do that now), people who've been through similar experiences to me (trouble conceiving, eating disorder, miscarriage, long distance relationship), moderate Christians who are neither Democrat nor Republican :giggle

ECingMama 12-13-2018 12:26 PM

I think we are defining content differently. :)

Your ability to write well is a fact, so you have that covered. *What* you talk about is what will keep *your* readers, I think.

I don't read political blogs unless that's the only content.

Virginia 12-13-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6164623)
I think we are defining content differently. :)

Your ability to write well is a fact, so you have that covered. *What* you talk about is what will keep *your* readers, I think.

I don't read political blogs unless that's the only content.

For me, "content" is subject plus style :tu I have to be interested in your topic and you have to present it coherently, in an engaging manner, without too many grammatical mistakes ;)

Allison 12-14-2018 01:20 PM

I make a full time income from my main website. I'm building websites on several other domains in my "spare" time, as well.

They are all hosted through Bluehost, who I've been with since switching from Blogger to Wordpress in 2013.

Full disclosure, I am an affiliate with Bluehost, but I recommend them because I've had a good experience with them. This is my sign up link if you're interested - https://www.bluehost.com/track/oursmallhours/

I love Bluehost because their support is easy to access via chat and they've always been able to solve any issues that arise.

They helped me move from Blogger to Wordpress. They helped me get SSL setup. They've helped me a couple of times when I've done something to break my site and it really wasn't their problem to deal with, but they fixed it anyway.

For Wordpress info I like WPBeginner. They have lots of great info.

I do have Bluehost's Wordpress optimized hosting and I love it, but it is one of their more expensive plans.

As far as niche goes, my website started out with several different topics and it was too much. I've narrowed it to four topics and I know who my target reader is. Still four topics is a lot for one blog.

If I didn't have nearly eight years of content I'd break it up into four websites and start fresh.

For all of those other topics I want to write about or monetize I've created new domains. (I have over 20 domains. So far. :shifty #domainhoarder) I doubt I'll ever create another website that covers more than one topic.

A popular blog quote is "The riches are in the niches." (Although that's not how I pronounce niche. :lol)

Let me know if you have any questions. I could talk about this all day. I mean, clearly, right? :shifty

Virginia 12-14-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison (Post 6164810)
I make a full time income from my main website. I'm building websites on several other domains in my "spare" time, as well.

They are all hosted through Bluehost, who I've been with since switching from Blogger to Wordpress in 2013.

Full disclosure, I am an affiliate with Bluehost, but I recommend them because I've had a good experience with them. This is my sign up link if you're interested - https://www.bluehost.com/track/oursmallhours/

I love Bluehost because their support is easy to access via chat and they've always been able to solve any issues that arise.

They helped me move from Blogger to Wordpress. They helped me get SSL setup. They've helped me a couple of times when I've done something to break my site and it really wasn't their problem to deal with, but they fixed it anyway.

For Wordpress info I like WPBeginner. They have lots of great info.

I do have Bluehost's Wordpress optimized hosting and I love it, but it is one of their more expensive plans.

As far as niche goes, my website started out with several different topics and it was too much. I've narrowed it to four topics and I know who my target reader is. Still four topics is a lot for one blog.

If I didn't have nearly eight years of content I'd break it up into four websites and start fresh.

For all of those other topics I want to write about or monetize I've created new domains. (I have over 20 domains. So far. :shifty #domainhoarder) I doubt I'll ever create another website that covers more than one topic.

A popular blog quote is "The riches are in the niches." (Although that's not how I pronounce niche. :lol)

Let me know if you have any questions. I could talk about this all day. I mean, clearly, right? :shifty

I cannot overemphasize what a terrible experience I had with BlueHost :shifty

I appreciate your input! I don’t know if I want to monetize :think I guess I need to do some research about this but I like being able to blog about anything that’s relevant to me :think

Allison 12-17-2018 06:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Bluehost. :(

I think my best advice for a successful website is to provide value to your reader/listener and they'll keep coming back.

Sometimes you'll provide value through storytelling and sometimes you'll provide value by offering your expertise in an area. As long as you're solving a problem for your audience they'll keep coming back.

Or, write a book that sells well and people will pop over to your website or podcast to hear more about that same subject. :heart

Virginia 12-17-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison (Post 6165025)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Bluehost. :(

I think my best advice for a successful website is to provide value to your reader/listener and they'll keep coming back.

Sometimes you'll provide value through storytelling and sometimes you'll provide value by offering your expertise in an area. As long as you're solving a problem for your audience they'll keep coming back.

Or, write a book that sells well and people will pop over to your website or podcast to hear more about that same subject. :heart

That is my ultimate dream ;)

ECingMama 12-17-2018 10:29 AM

I would totally buy your book, Raising Teens from a Teacher's Perspective!

Virginia 12-17-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6165045)
I would totally buy your book, Raising Teens from a Teacher's Perspective!

That’s a really good topic!