Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Minimalist Clothing Choices for Infants (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=507254)

ECingMama 07-27-2014 06:01 PM

Minimalist Clothing Choices for Infants

How many outfits for an infant per size? I've read between 5-15. I want to go through my baby clothes again and get rid of half of them, but I don't want to get rid of the amount that's good to have.

I'd be happy to mail them to a mama on here who is in the foster care system and needs clothes for certain ages. I kept my favories from birth to 18 months. I've given the rest of them away as soon as my kids outgrow them.

MrsHutch 07-27-2014 06:05 PM

Re: Minimalist Clothing Choices for Infants

I'm just :cup for future reference.

Hannah Elise 07-27-2014 06:07 PM

:cup Wish I could be, but seems like we always dirtied way too many outfits in a day to keep only a few...

Aerynne 07-27-2014 06:15 PM

It really depends on how often you do laundry. Also I found sometimes my baby would wear the same outfit for three days :shifty and sometimes they would go through four outfits in a day. Those could be consecutive days.

ECingMama 07-27-2014 06:38 PM

hmmm....I like to do baby clothes once or twice a week because I'm also washing diapers 3-4 times a week.

Hannah Elise 07-27-2014 06:40 PM

Yeah, with two in diapers and not a huge rotation ofany given size, we do diaper laundry at least every other day.

2TMama 07-27-2014 06:52 PM

following to see what the general consenus is :)

we're limited on space & chose not to find out gender.....so have a small collection of 0-3 month onesies, kimono t's, several sleepers, several gowns & a couple gender neutral outfits. I just figure we're going to go the "make it work" route ;) PLUS, the fact that it's still summer here....and I figure we'll probably get by with the aforementioned stuff. :cool

we have more sleepers/onesies & probably just over 1/2 dozen gender neutral outfits in 3-6 months.....and I figure we'll add (not a lot....again, space is limited & I don't want to go overboard--- hence the reason your "minimalist" title appealed to me :giggle) to our small collection some gender specific stuff once baby arrives

lucie 07-27-2014 11:17 PM

It also depends on the season, and on the type of baby, i.e., is it a baby who spits up a lot or a baby who hardly spits up at all? Anna needed like 5 onesies a day on some days... She would spit up a ton. Isaac just needed 1 a day so 5 onesies total for the whole week was plenty :giggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whirlwind 07-29-2014 01:19 PM

Can you do laundry at home whenever you need it or do you have to wait for a weekly trip to the laundromat or something? That would make a big difference . . .

Elibellamiah 07-29-2014 01:30 PM

I agree it depends on the baby. I've had one that seemed to spit up all over herself every couple of hours and one that could wear the same clothes for 2 days if I wanted him to. It seems like 10 would probably be safe, I'm just guessing that number though.

JoannaV 07-29-2014 02:47 PM

Depends on sizing also.
- If minimalist, you'd want the ones you kept to definitely fit any baby. Eg, no tight sleeves.
- Some things you can use more than one size of at a time. So if you did have a baby that spit-up a tonne, maybe they could be using the next size of onesie even when they still fit the smaller size.

rjy9343 08-08-2014 01:55 PM

I don't think there is a hard fast rule for kids clothes. Ivy spit up a lot and was changed several times a day some days. My nephew has some major blow outs that meant his parents trashed his outfits. My niece could go a week in the same outfit. You also have the laundry questions.
For me, I preferred to have closer to the fifteen mark because I did not want do laundry for Ivy every day.
While we are working back to a minimalist lifestyle, I am really a more is better with clothes because I have a hard time staying on top of laundry.

milkmommy 08-08-2014 02:05 PM

for little ones I like having between 1-2 actual outfits per day and about 2-3xs that of just simple onsies/T shirts or one piece play suits. Enough to comfortably last between laundry or a comfortable weeks worth. We never bother with fancy clothing when just at home but did dress in outfits when going out so one and a spare for that. Some days we used the same onsie the entire day other times we needed a change with each diaper.