Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Vegetarian diet for menopause years? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522974)

Singingmom 05-30-2017 11:35 AM

Vegetarian diet for menopause years?

I've always been very healthy including meat in my diet, but as I've been struggling with the onset of perimenopause, I've read conflicting articles about what kind of a diet is best for women who are approaching menopause or are post-menopausal. My only symptom right now is prolonged heavy bleeding, so help with that would be wonderful.

Can you point me to your favorite sources for this kind of information? Clueless googling can be confusing. If you have any BTDT stories to share, I'd love to hear them.

(Since this is the veg forum, if you want to give me advice or links about meat being important, a pm would be better than this thread. :))

Aerynne 05-30-2017 11:48 AM

Re: Vegetarian diet for menopause years?

For heavy bleeding I would definitely try a whole food plant based diet. This would be a low fat diet with no oils (oils are not a whole food) and you may possibly need to eliminate higher fat plant foods like nuts, coconut, and avocadoes. There is a direct correlation between fat intake and sex hormones, and you would want those to go down to get rid of heavy bleeding, so keeping your fat intake low should help tremendously! It may take a few months to see the change, though.

Singingmom 05-30-2017 07:00 PM

My mom had a very easy menopause, and she was always careful to have a low fat diet. :think It would be a jump for me to cook without any oil at all, but other than that I do have a fairly low fat diet.

Aerynne 05-30-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6086956)
My mom had a very easy menopause, and she was always careful to have a low fat diet. :think It would be a jump for me to cook without any oil at all, but other than that I do have a fairly low fat diet.

Sometimes a little can change things a lot. If you need any help with no oil cooking, I'm happy to give you tips.

Katigre 05-30-2017 07:26 PM

Have you tried an herb like vitex to help with the heavier bleeding?

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

My mom swore by soy helping her through menopause (she went through it less than ten years ago).

Also, if you really like shredded meat dishes then Jack fruit is an excellent substitute. I just picked some up to try (it comes in a can, already peeled and chopped) and it makes an excellent sub in pulled pork (lots of recipes if you Google).

Aerynne 05-30-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6086964)
Have you tried an herb like vitex to help with the heavier bleeding?

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

My mom swore by soy helping her through menopause (she went through it less than ten years ago).

Also, if you really like shredded meat dishes then Jack fruit is an excellent substitute. I just picked some up to try (it comes in a can, already peeled and chopped) and it makes an excellent sub in pulled pork (lots of recipes if you Google).

I think I'm going to have to borrow that suggestion!!!

Katigre 05-30-2017 07:40 PM

Here's a few recipes: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...ing-jackfruit/

Trader Joe's sells it, and I'm sure you can get it in the Asian food section of the grocery store.

Singingmom 05-30-2017 08:39 PM

I hadn't heard of vitex...I'll look into it!

I want to avoid soy for now, or too many phytoestrogens since I'm reading that estrogen is what makes you bleed more. I'm taking progesterone to try to balance that out and get the bleeding stopped.

Jack fruit sounds fun. I shop at Trader Joe's often, so I'll look.

Aerynne 05-30-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6086983)
I hadn't heard of vitex...I'll look into it!

I want to avoid soy for now, or too many phytoestrogens since I'm reading that estrogen is what makes you bleed more. I'm taking progesterone to try to balance that out and get the bleeding stopped.

Jack fruit sounds fun. I shop at Trader Joe's often, so I'll look.

There is a big difference between soy protein isolate and less processed soy (edamame, tofu, miso, and soy milk). Just food for thought, maybe for later, or something to look into.

flowermama 07-05-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6086964)

I remember a lady at church many years ago (before I became vegan) telling me that soy helped her when she went through menopause. :think

Quote:

I've begun using jackfuit, thanks to my mom! I really like it. :)

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6086848)
For heavy bleeding I would definitely try a whole food plant based diet. This would be a low fat diet with no oils (oils are not a whole food) and you may possibly need to eliminate higher fat plant foods like nuts, coconut, and avocadoes. There is a direct correlation between fat intake and sex hormones, and you would want those to go down to get rid of heavy bleeding, so keeping your fat intake low should help tremendously! It may take a few months to see the change, though.

I'm not low fat at all :shifty, but I've heard such good things about eating without adding oils to your diet.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Kelly, I hope it gets better soon! If I come across any helpful links, I'll be sure to post them here. :heart