Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   Instant Pot for Newbies (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521830)

bananacake 01-21-2017 02:04 PM

Instant Pot for Newbies

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas!

I watched one video and learned a ton more than I did reading the manual :giggle

What is your favorite trick or thing to do in your Instant Pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2sunshines 01-21-2017 04:09 PM

Re: Instant Pot for Newbies

I LOVE my instant pot and use it ALL the time.

My best advice is to actually do the water test first. Not that it itself is important, but more that the process of doing that really helped me to feel comfortable with how the pot actually functions so I had a better grip on what to expect, what is normal, and what isn't. I think I would have stressed out had there been real food that cost real money in there the first time. :lol

bananacake 01-21-2017 04:35 PM

What's the water test?

2sunshines 01-21-2017 04:44 PM

It's in the manual. You basically put water in the pot and do a test run. :yes

If you google, a lot of blogs and youtube videos come up explaining it too.

Mother of Sons 01-21-2017 08:13 PM

I say if you are going to do the water test you may as well make hard boiled eggs.

I've been making chicken "fried" rice in it lately which is easy and convenient. We make rice a lot. I also make stew and one great thing is that I can brown 4 pounds of Hamburger at once without standing at the stove with a spatula and no draining the grease!

sweetpeasmommy 01-21-2017 09:37 PM

I didn't do the water test, I just made rice as a test. The more you use it, the easier it gets but the first few times can be a little baffling.

graciousmomma 01-21-2017 10:25 PM

I didn't do the water test either :shifty

I love making hard boiled eggs in there. They peel so much easier than doing it the normal way! :yes

I cook crock pot soups a lot in there and get the same results in much less time. My favorite is butternut squash soup.

I have made refried beans in there a few times as well - they turn out so well!

I do a lot of chicken in there, too.

2sunshines 01-22-2017 04:56 AM

Yea, I realize I'm in the minority of people who actually do the test. :lol I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with my cooking devices. As in, I also actually read the manual. :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 6063381)
I didn't do the water test, I just made rice as a test. The more you use it, the easier it gets but the first few times can be a little baffling.

THIS is why I did the test. I was baffled a few times during the water test. Just surprised at some things like how long it took to get up to pressure, etc. I was glad that my baffle happened when there was no food in there to worry about messing up. But again, for me, that comes back down to my food perfectionism. :bag

All that to say, once I get comfortable with an appliance, I follow no rules ever. :lol All recipes and cooking rules become guidelines to me. I wing pretty much everything I put in the IP now and it all comes out amazing! :heart

Whatever you do, you'll get a hang of it quickly! Like everyone else said, the first few times can be a bit of a learning curve but you will very quickly become a pro!

Soliloquy 01-22-2017 05:39 PM

I did the water test!! :highfive :giggle

For hard boiled eggs, I add 1 cup water, the little rack, and about 18 eggs. Manual for 6 minutes, quick release, then an ice bath. Perfect!

Pot roast is pretty awesome in the IP. 1 Tbsp oil. Saute "adjust more." Wait until the display reads "Hot." Put the roast in to sear it, 5-10 minutes per side. Then add 1 c broth, 1 Tbsp tamari, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, and whatever other seasonings you like. Manual pressure for 45 mintues for a 3 lb roast.

Jasmine rice: Rinse the rice well. Put in equal amount water and rice. Manual pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release. (If you don't rinse the rice you'll need more water.)

For quinoa, rinse it well, and cook for only ONE MINUTE.

BriansLovie 01-23-2017 06:16 AM

I received one for Christmas too and it scares me :lol My fear is that it will explode and the noises freak me out. I've used it three times so far. The meat is so tender!!

Laurlor 01-23-2017 02:12 PM

Is there a difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker, or is it the same? I have a pressure cooker my mom bought for me that I never use because it scares me too, but my mom used to make the best roasts in one.

ECingMama 01-23-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurlor (Post 6063630)
Is there a difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker, or is it the same? I have a pressure cooker my mom bought for me that I never use because it scares me too, but my mom used to make the best roasts in one.

same thing

instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker

2sunshines 01-23-2017 02:32 PM

Instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker, however, it has 6 additional (or 5 additional if you buy the 6in1) features in it. The pressure cooker part is just 1 of the features, although the main selling point of it. :yes

Also from what I understand the Instant Pot implemented additional safety measures that previous pressure cookers did not. But I truly don't know any details about what those are or if they really are more safe than other brands or if it's a sales gimmick. :shrug3

Soliloquy 01-23-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurlor (Post 6063630)

It's a programmable pressure cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, and slow cooker.

I may buy a second one, eventually. I use mine for rice as often as I use it for a pressure cooker.

greendelight 01-23-2017 10:01 PM

Mine is still sitting in the box!