Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Cloth Wipes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527052)

LovinBeingMommy 04-30-2019 10:42 AM

Cloth Wipes
 
We're cloth diapering the coming baby (did it part time with Monkey), but I figure we might as well do cloth wipes, too, while we're at it. What do you do as a solution for them? I've seen a few sprays and recipes, but I was curious what's worked for people who've actually used them?

Aerynne 04-30-2019 10:44 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
I just get them wet with warm water as I need them.

JoannaV 04-30-2019 11:13 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
I had Diaper Lotion Potion concentrate and Homestead Baby Wipe Companion concentrate (I think the former was my favourite) which I mixed in a spray bottle 1:8 with witch hazel.
Sometimes I'd spray directly on baby's butt, other times I'd spray onto the wipe which first I'd wet with warm water.

MamaRachel 04-30-2019 11:32 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
I just used warm water with mine too.

LovinBeingMommy 04-30-2019 11:34 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Sounds like warm water is the way to go. :) Nice and simple, so I'm not complaining! I'm just totally new to cloth wipes (continued using disposable wipes when we switched to cloth diapers last time) and all the "helpful advice" can be a bit overwhelming.

knitlove 04-30-2019 11:48 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
I just got my wipes wet and held them I. My hands, it took forever for the water to get warm in our house so the wipes we're hardly ever warm, I did try to hold them long enough that they weren't cold.

With wiggle worm getting the wipes wet was a perfect big sister task for early bird. She would get them wet and I would 'warm' them in my hands for a tiny bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 04-30-2019 11:53 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Whenever I tried to keep them wet in any kind of container they got funky, no matter what I did. So I wet them as I used them.

I got a great idea from a GCM. Take a bottle from liquid dish soap. Rinse it until there's no more bubbles. Then fill it with water and keep it at the changing table. Wet the wipes as you need them. No funk. A peri bottle works gets, too.

I made lots of cloth wipes for almost no money. I found a 100% cotton flannel sheet set at the thrift store. Cut them with pinking shears. Done. (If you do this, cut them bigger than you think you'll need. Better to be too big than too small.)

Aerynne 04-30-2019 11:53 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinBeingMommy (Post 6178989)
Sounds like warm water is the way to go. :) Nice and simple, so I'm not complaining! I'm just totally new to cloth wipes (continued using disposable wipes when we switched to cloth diapers last time) and all the "helpful advice" can be a bit overwhelming.

You can keep a thermos of water by the changing table for warm water if you want.

My kids were always sensitive to anything other than water being put on their skin and would get diaper rashes with regular wipes. If I got them wet in advance they would always mildew. I do use Water Wipes (the disposable ones you buy) when out and about because trying to keep wipes wet while I'm out is annoying, and walking over to a sink isn't always as much of an option depending on where I am.

MaybeGracie 04-30-2019 12:35 PM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
I wet them with warm water as I need them as well.

If you have basic sewing skills, my favorite cloths are flannel on one side and towel on the other.

MegMarch 04-30-2019 02:23 PM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Water in a peri bottle worked for me. I ended up sticking with disposable wipes since my H wasn't using the cloth ever. The washable ones we use as napkins and hankies and stuff now.

bliss 04-30-2019 05:26 PM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
I used plain water but I did also keep a little spritz bottle in my purse with diluted baby Dr Bronners. It's good for wipes and other stuff like dirty playground children.

LovinBeingMommy 05-01-2019 09:20 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6178994)
Whenever I tried to keep them wet in any kind of container they got funky, no matter what I did. So I wet them as I used them.

I got a great idea from a GCM. Take a bottle from liquid dish soap. Rinse it until there's no more bubbles. Then fill it with water and keep it at the changing table. Wet the wipes as you need them. No funk. A peri bottle works gets, too.

I made lots of cloth wipes for almost no money. I found a 100% cotton flannel sheet set at the thrift store. Cut them with pinking shears. Done. (If you do this, cut them bigger than you think you'll need. Better to be too big than too small.)

My MIL has been asking for projects for the baby, so I gave her the assignment of making some. ;) She has a ton of flannel left over from projects that she can cut up and plans to hem. That way I don't have to find time to do it and she feels useful. Win all around.

BCSweetie 05-04-2019 08:15 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
We made the Bates diaper wipes mix (I can find the recipe if you wanted it) and instead of using paper towel like they do, we used an icecream bucket filled with mix and put our cloth wipes in it. Worked so well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LovinBeingMommy 05-04-2019 06:11 PM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSweetie (Post 6179457)
We made the Bates diaper wipes mix (I can find the recipe if you wanted it) and instead of using paper towel like they do, we used an icecream bucket filled with mix and put our cloth wipes in it. Worked so well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for recipes. I figure it's good to be prepared with options, rather than desperately trying to find something later. ;)

BCSweetie 05-07-2019 01:26 PM

Re: Cloth Wipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinBeingMommy (Post 6179515)
I'm all for recipes. I figure it's good to be prepared with options, rather than desperately trying to find something later. ;)



https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...209fd19455.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.