Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Myobrace, an alternative to braces (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522948)

Taedareth 05-25-2017 07:58 PM

Myobrace, an alternative to braces

Have you or your kids used this as a precursor or alternative to conventional orthodontic treatment? Apparently it's used in many countries around the world (was developed in Australia). Designed to train the mouth and facial muscles to apply the right pressures to the palate so that it develops the correct shape (wide enough for all the teeth).

I read a Japanese study describing how it worked on the individuals studied, complete with before and after pictures. It's interesting. Does anyone have personal experience with this method?

mamacat 05-26-2017 05:32 AM

Re: Myobrace, an alternative to braces

I dont but it sounds wonderful

Taedareth 05-26-2017 09:50 AM

Yeah, it is intriguing. I've been reading mom forums and health forums to see what people who've used it had to say. It seems like 80% of them were positive. Those who weren't, seemed to either be working with a dentist/ortho who didn't know how to fit the device correctly (and gave them back their money after a couple of visits) or weren't working with a dental professional at all and got their myobrace off aliexpress or eBay.

One person said their orthodontist sees lots of people who had a failed experience with myobrace and had to get orthodontic braces afterward, but I don't know how common that is. I did read that its effectiveness is directly proportionate to the patient's faithfulness at wearing it, and that some people have a hard time sleeping with a removable device in their mouth.

JoannaV 05-26-2017 10:38 AM

At what kind of age would this be used? :popcorn

Taedareth 05-26-2017 11:12 AM

The earliest is 5. Average might be 8-13. But adults can also. Our dentist and hygienist both use it.

sprout 05-26-2017 12:30 PM

how does this cost compared to traditional braces and how long does it take to work?

Sweet Life 05-26-2017 12:55 PM

I have heard of a similar device under a different name. It can be used solo but often as a precursor to braces. Because it widens the palette it helps save on the overall orthodontic cost.or can sometimes replace it. It had a weird name with numbers in it. Wish I could remember the name to compare what I am seeing about myobrace. Read somewhere sprout that it costs about $3k but not sure if that is American dollars or another currency.

Taedareth 05-26-2017 01:31 PM

Yes it's also called Trainer for Kids, T4K.

I don't know about the price yet. My dentist said something about 2k but I'm waiting for a callback with more specific details.

The orthodontist quoted us $2800 for the early treatment ("phase 1") involving head gear, braces and a retainer. This is for the baby teeth (mostly) on a 9yo as a precursor to braces on her permanent teeth when they come in.

tempestjewel 05-26-2017 01:54 PM

Interesting! Our ortho starts screening kids at 7. Dd2 had expanders out on at 8 because her canine teeth needed room to come in (it was this or eventual oral surgery). The expanders were around 3k. I am intrigued by the "training" aspect, because of course expanders just move teeth, but don't change habits. :think

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 05-26-2017 03:43 PM

Hmm, never heard of this before but it sounds so cool.

Quiteria 05-26-2017 05:08 PM

Hope to hear if any of you try it. All my kids have messy teeth.

ValiantJoy07 05-27-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel (Post 6086250)
Interesting! Our ortho starts screening kids at 7. Dd2 had expanders out on at 8 because her canine teeth needed room to come in (it was this or eventual oral surgery). The expanders were around 3k. I am intrigued by the "training" aspect, because of course expanders just move teeth, but don't change habits. :think

My dd1 is getting an expander this week and my understanding is that her expander will widen her pallet, not just move her teeth. :think

tempestjewel 05-27-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6086372)
My dd1 is getting an expander this week and my understanding is that her expander will widen her pallet, not just move her teeth. :think

Yes, that is correct. I posted incorrectly! Expanders widen the pallet to make more room for teeth!

bananacake 05-27-2017 03:15 PM

I had a pallet expander as a child (well, 12/13 y/o).

2sunshines 05-27-2017 06:03 PM

Following this. Apparently my children inherit a small pallette from me. :( My oldest has had an expander and my 2nd definitely needs one.

So I'm interested in reading more info on this.

I'll be honest that the cost sort of deters me because it's not that much different than a traditional expander. :think