Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Favorite Cutting Board? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523869)

tempestjewel 09-27-2017 08:51 PM

Favorite Cutting Board?

I badly need to replace the main cutting board I use (no raw meats, just veggie prep and such). My current one is bamboo and it has split. I have an acacia wood one, but don't really care for it.

Do you have one you love?

MaySunflowers 09-27-2017 11:52 PM

Re: Favorite Cutting Board?

I just love glass ones because I feel I can sterilize them.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mummy2boys 09-28-2017 12:25 AM

I have a wooden one (not sure the type of wood) and its worked well for me.

I do have plastic ones that I use when I cut meat/chicken/fish.

ViolaMum 09-28-2017 05:15 AM

My favorite wooden one I think is maple. It's 2 inches thick, and looks just like the Boos boards you see on cooking shows. My dh was doing a workshop in Maine when we were first married and he bought it at a specialty store - the stamp on the back says it was "made in a Maine Correctional facility." It was a little pricey, but much less than a real Boos. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed one.

Any other wooden boards I've had have split eventually from being washed. Maple and bamboo have lasted the longest. I've been told that conditioning boards with food-grade oils helps to preserve them, but I've never done it. One friend recommended walnut oil, but my kids are allergic to walnuts, and I just haven't had time (or inclination) to research it further.

Glass is really hard on your knives; it ruins the edge. (The sound of knives passing over glass is also like nails on a chalkboard to me.)

Most of what I have is plastic because it can go in the dishwasher. I've got a couple of small ones from Ikea and larger ones from various stores. The Ikea boards have lasted longer than I expected.

knitlove 09-28-2017 05:31 AM

I have two cutting boards that I love, both are 1" of wood. I keep them well oiled so that they don't split. One is from wilinsanoma and one is locally made.

I had one board split when I moved Noth and wasn't oiling it regularly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mommylove 09-28-2017 01:41 PM

I despise wooden because I don't feel like I can get them clean. Bamboo is ok, but splitting is an issue.

On a whim one time, I bought a package of plastic cutting mats. I can't believe how much I love them. They're small, they're easy to wash, and I can have multiple mats going based on what I'm making. I love grating cheese, setting the mat aside, then moving to onion & whatever else, setting that mat aside, rinse & repeat.

tempestjewel 09-28-2017 01:46 PM

I do have some plastic mats, though I mostly use them for meat prep (a yellow one for chicken, a red one for red meat, and a blue one for fish) because they can be sterilized and put through the dishwasher.

I do have oil and wax for my boards, though I could definitely be using both products a lot more :blush My bamboo board was really thin (less than 1/2") and I think that is part of the reason why it split.

Bamboo does seem to be cheapest on Amazon. But at the same time, I want to get something that lasts. :-/

Lady Grey 09-28-2017 02:54 PM

I like Epicurean boards. (one of mine is a generic)

I don’t cut raw meat on them. I usually use kitchen shears for meat.

2sunshines 09-28-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 6108712)

Bit of a tangent but this intrigues me. I've always cut meat traditionally with a knife and raw meat on any surfaces totally skeeve me out and require extensive disinfecting. It does seem that using kitchen shears would make that process easier. :think So dumb question. Are these scissors specifically labeled as "for meat"? As in are they different than other types? And what makes a good quality one vs. a lower end one?

Lady Grey 09-28-2017 03:59 PM

I think it’s easier but I don’t have the greatest knife skills. I think if you search kitchen shears on Amazon the right thing should come up. They come apart for easy cleaning. I can link to something like we have when I get home.

tempestjewel 09-28-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 6108712)
I like Epicurean boards. (one of mine is a generic)

I'd never seen those boards before! Amazon is advertising that they go in the dishwasher and never need to be oiled. I'm intrigued!

Lady Grey 09-28-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel (Post 6108734)
I'd never seen those boards before! Amazon is advertising that they go in the dishwasher and never need to be oiled. I'm intrigued!

The are really low maintenance. I've had mine about 10 years. I don't put them in the dishwasher so I can't speak to that.

The kitchen shears I do put in the dishwasher, which wears down the plastic handles over time. We've always had two pairs in the kitchen and I think right now we are on pair #4 and #5. (in 15 years) I bought a nicer brand this last time (Wustoff) but it's only been a couple of years.

MegMarch 09-28-2017 06:48 PM

I also like Epicurean. Dishwasher safe gets all my :heart

ECingMama 09-28-2017 09:28 PM

I use kitchen shears as well. Learned in Korea. SOOOO much easier!

I like the plastic sheets.

MaySunflowers 09-28-2017 10:15 PM

Yep, food scissors here too. They were sold near knives, didn't say specifically for meat but don't find that many other uses for them. Have been known to cut pizza with them.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk