Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Laundry detergent (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525968)

MudPies 08-22-2018 01:54 PM

Laundry detergent

What is your fave brand/recipe for laundry detergent?

Soliloquy 08-22-2018 02:17 PM

Re: Laundry detergent

I love my laundry balls.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Non-...70_&dpSrc=srch

I still use Oxi Clean for whites and lights. But this is what I use for "detergent."

The Tickle Momster 08-22-2018 04:04 PM

Excelsior is one we like.

I just did a trial of Meliora and it worked reasonably well also.

Prior to our new fancy washer, I used BioKleen.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6153553)
I love my laundry balls.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Non-...70_&dpSrc=srch

I still use Oxi Clean for whites and lights. But this is what I use for "detergent."

Do you know if they work well with HARD water?

Soliloquy 08-22-2018 05:21 PM

I have hard water. Calcium carbonate, which is known as temporary hardness (white dust precipitates when I boil water, stays dissolved when I add vinegar). I have always used vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser and I still do.

I love my laundry balls.

The Tickle Momster 08-22-2018 05:31 PM

I've been nervous to add vinegar in the new washer. It's a front loading HE washer. :think

mamacat 08-22-2018 05:35 PM

I ordered a different kind of laundry ball recently and it has a scent. Like the way baby aspirin used to smell like artificial orange :( Was told it would dissipate after a few washes but a blanket I washed with it smells like it. So no scent in these? I like 7th Generation detergent for dishes and was considering trying it for laundry but would like to use those balls!

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

I use vinegar in fabric softener cup too

Soliloquy 08-22-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6153576)
I've been nervous to add vinegar in the new washer. It's a front loading HE washer. :think

I have a Samsung front loader. Washers are designed to hold up under germicidal bleach (strong base) and fabric softener (acid). Lots of people don't realize that fabric softener is acidic. That's part of how it works. Vinegar is acidic without the extra stuff. Vinegar will help prolong the life of your machine by reducing buildup, too.

mommylove 08-22-2018 07:44 PM

I had no idea fabric is acidic!

I used to put vinegar in a Downy ball, but I quit one day, not knowing if it did anything.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Scent wise, I love these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005K...TpL&ref=plSrch

Virginia 08-22-2018 09:14 PM

I use Charlie’s Soap (per someone’s recommendation here), along with the same brand’s hard water softener powder stuff.

I also like Seventh Generation.

If I want stuff scented, I put a couple drops of EO on my wool dryer ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TraceMama 08-27-2018 09:30 AM

I also use Charlie's Soap, but those laundry balls are intriguing.

Do you really need to put them in the sun for 2-3 hours a day to keep them fresh? Some reviewers complained about clothes smelling musty once they were wet due to not enough sun exposure. :think

Soliloquy 08-27-2018 12:13 PM

I can't remember the specific directions but it's definitely not every day. IIRC it was one sunny afternoon every 2 weeks. We have more laundry than an average, 4-person household so I try to do one afternoon a week. I will often put the balls out when I go to bed (in summer) and then get them at some point in the morning. Then they get regular morning sun. In winter, though, we can go a long time without a bright sunny day. I just give them sun when I can. Mine do not get smelly. I've thought about getting a second set just because we have grey winters and lots of laundry.

I am fanatical about keeping my washing machine aired out, though, too. The door is always open when not in use and I remove the laundry drawer for extra air circulation. And I use distilled vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser in every load to reduce mineral build-up. I use Kleenite about twice a month.

mamacat 08-28-2018 06:57 AM

can it be sunlight thru a window or has to be outside?

Soliloquy 08-28-2018 04:04 PM

I think it has to be direct sunlight. I'm guessing a window would be better than nothing, though. I put mine outside. I think even an open window would be better than through glass.

According to this, they are even starting to make washing machines that come with these little balls already installed. https://household-tips.thefuntimesgu...laundry-balls/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYp8R_CuMl0

tempus vernum 08-28-2018 05:12 PM

Ok. What am I missing? These are agitator balls that require no soap? :scratch I read the description and am just :jawdrop so cool

Soliloquy 08-28-2018 05:20 PM

No other detergent required but I do add oxy clean to my whites and lights, just like I did when I used detergent. I also add baking soda to loads with fitness wear. I instruct my teen to add baking soda to every load, too. (which I also did with regular detergent.)

They generate their own hydrogen peroxide like reaction in the water, they absorb odors and stains. They last for 1,000 loads.

I first heard about them from SamRose, for those of you who remember her. I know her in person and she is not only extremely frugal, she is someone who WILL get her money back if a product doesn't work. :lol So, when I found out she was still loving hers a year after purchase, I bought some.

I had formerly been a longtime user of Charlie's Soap.. Still like that as a detergent but I love my laundry balls.

I think I've had mine almost a year. Not sure. Maybe longer.