Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Learning to Read (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=237117)

TraceMama 02-10-2008 07:17 PM

Re: Learning to Read

Great to hear that the Ordinary Guide has worked for you. How recently did you buy the BOB books at Costco? I'd love to pick them up there.

blessmybirth 02-11-2008 11:41 PM

Ooooh, hmmm, maybe about three months ago. I had to visit a couple of different ones to get the 1st collection, too. I think they were pretty popular. You might even try costco.com

TraceMama 02-12-2008 11:06 AM

Thanks! :)

FoxDenLane 02-18-2008 02:17 PM

I've been using Barbara Curtis' book Ready, Set, Read, which is a Montessori-based reading method. BC is extremely encouraging. I highly recommend any of her books on teaching reading. :yes

monkeylicious 02-18-2008 02:38 PM

:popcorn

Grover 03-07-2008 02:04 PM

I liked the book Reading Bug by paul jennings but taht was more an information guide than astep by step program for your little one.Im teaching My 5 yo to read right now and his words helped me see how confusing this can be,Iloved the chapter GHOTE spels FISH :lol
Im still working on finding the system that will work for my DC

AngelaVA 03-10-2008 07:42 AM

Just wanted to offer an alternate suggestion to a prepackage curriculum. The weakness of these is that they usually overemphasize one area e.g. phonics and ignore or deemphasize other important areas, like reading for meaning. Also, they don't always allow you to work with your child's own learning style. My website explains briefly the types of activities I do to teaching reading and in the resource section I have free resources like high frequency word lists, lists of library books according to reading, and level free printable poems and materials and books and you can order to teach your reading using regular books. I know this can work well for home schooling families because I have worked with lots of families both in my tutoring and through having the parent attend my reading seminar who have seen great progress.

http://angelatuell.googlepages.com/m...sandphilosophy

BecauseIJustDid 05-03-2008 12:14 AM

We're super old fashioned. I am teaching my daughter phonetically. I have been since we taught her how to speak. It's way more fun to teach the right way from the start and see how fast they go. DD went to public for the first 5 mon. and she didn't get anything accomplished that had not already been taught at home. I can't imagine how far behind she was when we finally had it and pulled her (lot's of other reasons) out. She's now doing just fine and learning to read. Slow and steady wins the race. I liked reading when I was her age and was allowed to go at my own pace. I read everything with a cover on it as I grew up. Reading was the one thing public school couldn't be ruined for me.

AdrienneQW 05-03-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

It talked about word recognition and labeling things around the home. Also to have cards with family and pet names and use them in a flashcard style. I used that with my kids. Table, chair, refrigerator, stove, sink, tv, radio, etc. Everything in our home had a label on it.
Off topic, but I have to share this story. I was at a preschool once doing language assessments with some students and they had these types of labels on everything in the classroom... including one in the play kitchen that said "refridgerator". :laughtears

(And if you don't get why that's funny, please have someone else write out the cards you use in your home). ;)

Teacher Mom 05-03-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdrienneQW
Quote:

It talked about word recognition and labeling things around the home. Also to have cards with family and pet names and use them in a flashcard style. I used that with my kids. Table, chair, refrigerator, stove, sink, tv, radio, etc. Everything in our home had a label on it.
Off topic, but I have to share this story. I was at a preschool once doing language assessments with some students and they had these types of labels on everything in the classroom... including one in the play kitchen that said "refridgerator". :laughtears

(And if you don't get why that's funny, please have someone else write out the cards you use in your home). ;)

I love when good intentions go wrong!!!!!! Too funny!

joyfulmomof4 07-11-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessmybirth
He just started reading the Bob Books (got 'em at Costco) and he's really proud, if he doesn't feel like he's getting anywhere with his reading "lesson" the Bob Books help him to realize he IS reading! He's on book 3 "Dot."

How much did the Costco set cost?

greenishmama 03-07-2009 07:47 AM

Is the author of Reading Made Easy Valerie Bendt ?

boysx3 01-13-2010 09:45 AM

DId you like hooked on phonics? I have though about it but wasn't sure.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Did you like hooked on phonics? I have thought about using it.

Call Her Blessed 04-13-2010 02:02 PM

Yes, Valerie Bendt is the author of Reading Made Easy. I have just completed this book with my son, who is 8. We took about 2 years to work through the entire book. What a sense of accomplishment he had upon its completion! I must say, we could have skipped off of it about half way through, because he was reading from other books by then. However, we continued using RME's lessons to increase his confidence and his reading skills.

I have also been using RME with my 6yo son and 4 yo son. It's funny how different each child is. There's much I could say about how each of them interacts with the material, but suffice it to say, that RME can be easily modified "on the fly" during each reading session with each child. I have found this book to be such an inexpensive, yet invaluable asset to me as a teaching mother.

As a side note, our daughter (who was an only child for 6.5 years) learned to read with NO curriculum or phonics instruction whatsoever. We simply read all the time, about everything we wanted to know about, she and I. She picked up on reading as a four year old. As life got so busy when we began having our sons (we now have 4 about 2 years apart) then there is no way that I could afford to spend the kind of one-on-one time that our daughter received. However, RME makes it easy to achieve simple daily progress, at each boy's level. They each enjoy this reading time with Mommy and I love experiencing their growth in reading skills with them.

Liberated4Christ 04-13-2010 07:07 PM

Just wanted to put in a chime for Color Phonics. Alpha Omega puts it out and it is pretty cheap. Only $35 dollars for all 5 cds on the christian book site. My son really enjoys it, and it is fun he says.:yes