Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   How do you make kefir? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=436411)

PDX Mommy 01-10-2012 05:36 PM

How do you make kefir?

I see that some of you ladies have made it! How? Is it hard? Recipes? Also, anyone know of a DF kefir recipe that I could give to my DF/GF kiddo? :)

Damselfly 01-10-2012 06:55 PM

Re: How do you make kefir?

Kefir is really easy to maintain as long as you can commit to taking care of it. You'll need to get kefir grains. Are you wanting basic kefir made with milk for you and water kefir for your kids or just water kefir? Water kefir is a different process involving a sweetener and dried fruit. I didn't keep mine up for very long because I was the only one in the family who like it. I've had my dairy kefir for a couple of years now. If you want help with dairy kefir I can help but I'll let someone else chime in on the water kefir. This is an awesome website with tons of information. Don't let all the techniques and tips intimidate you though---it really is a very simple and forgiving process.

Soliloquy 01-11-2012 06:29 PM

Kombucha is similar to water kefir, you might like that, too.

houseforjoy 01-11-2012 06:51 PM

you can use milk kefir grains to make coconut milk or rice milk kefir too. i tried the water kefir, but no one here really likes it either unless i mix it with juice or something and then i figure what is the point:shrug3 so we do kombucha here and milk kefir.

PDX Mommy 01-11-2012 07:34 PM

Are the kefir grains GF? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

GraemesMomma 01-11-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDX Mommy (Post 4396147)
Are the kefir grains GF? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Not dumb :no

Yes. They aren't a "grain". They look like grains :) But just a symbiotic group of friendly yeasts and bacteria that make a yogurt-like ferment. Are your kiddos casein AND lactose free?

I have both. If you want to try water kefir, I'd be happy to send you some grains. That's how I got mine. They multiply like crazy!:giggle

I got my dairy kefir grains from Cultures For Health.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Easier than making yogurt, at least,the dairy version. You just pour milk on and leave it on the counter for 24 hours (for lactose-free). No heating or keeping it at a certain temp.

PDX Mommy 01-12-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraemesMomma (Post 4396199)
Not dumb :no

Yes. They aren't a "grain". They look like grains :) But just a symbiotic group of friendly yeasts and bacteria that make a yogurt-like ferment. Are your kiddos casein AND lactose free?

I have both. If you want to try water kefir, I'd be happy to send you some grains. That's how I got mine. They multiply like crazy!:giggle

I got my dairy kefir grains from Cultures For Health.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Easier than making yogurt, at least,the dairy version. You just pour milk on and leave it on the counter for 24 hours (for lactose-free). No heating or keeping it at a certain temp.

Evan is dairy-free (so we avoid whey, casein, and lactose from milk), so I think water kefir would be best. I would love for you to send me some! :heart

PDX Mommy 01-25-2012 03:37 PM

Bumping because I have a question: is there a problem with using metal with kefir? I am going to need to strain it but haven't found a suitable strainer yet. I have a metal mesh strainer. Is that a no no? I don't want to kill my kefir!

Soliloquy 01-25-2012 03:52 PM

100% fine. I've been using metal spoons and sieves for years.

PDX Mommy 01-25-2012 03:59 PM

YES! One less piece of kitchen equipment for me to store! Thank you!

Iarwain 01-25-2012 04:28 PM

Yeah, you just don't want to store it in metal because of the acidity potentially etching the metal surface and/or liberating those compounds into your food. That takes a fair bit of time though. Brief contact like with a spoon or strainer is no biggie. I also use a metal sieve to strain mine (and have for years).

Mommainrwanda 01-26-2012 03:11 AM

I find my water kefir to be pretty easy although I just got milk kefir grains for Christmas and they are UNBELIEVABLY easy.

I have found that, with water kefir, I need to add a little bit of honey to the second ferment if I want it to get fizzy. Maybe I'm not using enough juice? :think

Anyway, just made a batch of "root beer" today by adding some honey and 1/2 t. root beer extract to my second ferment. :tu

The Urchin loves kefir too. :heart I love being able to give her "juice" without having a lot of suger.

Sundance 01-26-2012 05:12 AM

This thread is timely for me! I just got milk kefir grains on Sunday, and am learning about it :) We're going to be trying our first batch in a smoothie in a few minutes :)

We used raw milk, so the cream was at the top. When the batch was done, the top was very thick and yucky looking.....I took it off, but am wondering if it would stir back in w/o being chunky? I'm sure it's find to eat, I just didn't want to

Damselfly 01-26-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundance (Post 4426858)
We used raw milk, so the cream was at the top. When the batch was done, the top was very thick and yucky looking.....I took it off, but am wondering if it would stir back in w/o being chunky?

We've stirred it back in and it hasn't bothered us but I usually use my kefir in smoothie so that make a difference. Sometimes I make a cream-only kefir ferment to use for butter. It always has that weird look but once I take out the grains its nice and smooth. It looks yucky but at least in my experience it's thick but not chunky.

Sundance 01-26-2012 08:15 AM

I have another question, I hope you don't mind me asking questions, too, OP!

So, I just went to make the smoothie, and both kids asked to have some in a glass.....and it was SICK tasting. I smelled it, but did not let them know that *I* thought it was gross....but their reaction was pretty clear that they thought it was gross, too.

That was my second batch with my grains (it was a pint). The friend I got them from said they'd been in her fridge for a while, and it might take a few batches to get them going again....

....is it normal for it to be sick (like I spit out the mouthful I tried and rinsed my mouh out, that's how gross it was) like that, or would it just be slightly off??

I'm getting discouraged :(