Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Gf df meal ideas for fussy eating kid (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522372)

milkmommy 03-19-2017 11:32 AM

Re: Gf df meal ideas for fussy eating kid

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6074138)
Have you tried nut butter muffins?

I buy Jarrow rice protein from Amazon. Very affordable. I add it to all baked goods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a recipe for the nutbutter muffins?

tempus vernum 03-19-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6074138)
Have you tried nut butter muffins?

I buy Jarrow rice protein from Amazon. Very affordable. I add it to all baked goods to boost protein.

Yes and yes to both posts above me. Only caution is we developed a brown rice sensitivity from using too much rice protein when we were dairy and gluten free. I don't know what Jarrow uses but be cautious because rice bran can digest similarly to gluten. BROWN Rice protein should be approached w caution for anyone who cannot digest gluten. We can tolerate very small amts of brown rice now but primarily use Jasmine rice.

milkmommy 03-19-2017 11:47 AM

Looks like my moldy muffins might not have been... it could have just been a chemical reaction to the baking soda.. oops. I wouldn't Have gotten her to eat green carrot muffins anyways.

bananacake 03-19-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6074142)
Yes and yes to both posts above me. Only caution is we developed a brown rice sensitivity from using too much rice protein when we were dairy and gluten free. I don't know what Jarrow uses but be cautious because rice bran can digest similarly to gluten. BROWN Rice protein should be approached w caution for anyone who cannot digest gluten. We can tolerate very small amts of brown rice now but primarily use Jasmine rice.

I'm the only one here who can digest gluten, though I don't eat it anyway. We've been eating the Jarrow protein for years with no issues.

Nut butter muffins
1 cup nut butter
1 T vinegar
1/4 cup sweetener
1/2 t baking soda
2 eggs

This would make about 10 muffins. Honestly, I add a ton of stuff to them: flax seed meal, hemp seeds, chia seeds, oat bran, oats, chocolate chips, etc.

But in terms of protein, just using the basic recipe:
With PB and 2 eggs making 10 muffins, each muffin has 7.6 grams of protein without adding any protein powder :tu

Here is the variation I make.

tempus vernum 03-22-2017 07:54 PM

So do you think u get 2 C of it butter out of a 16 oz jar? I'm looking at my almond butter jar and calculating :shifty

bananacake 03-23-2017 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6074921)
So do you think u get 2 C of it butter out of a 16 oz jar? I'm looking at my almond butter jar and calculating :shifty

Yes. Because I hate the mess that measuring nut butters makes, I make a double batch of
Muffins and use the whole jar.

2sunshines 03-23-2017 07:24 AM

:lol I NEVER measure nut butters. Totally an eyeball game. WAY too messy to measure. :lol

milkmommy 03-24-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6074990)
:lol I NEVER measure nut butters. Totally an eyeball game. WAY too messy to measure. :lol

somewhat off topic but we lean towards using regular peanut butter over like almond ect because we dont have any allergies and my kids prefer the taste. Not my hill to die on.. etc. I ALWAYS buy the smuckers all natural if I can't then Laura Scudder's.. I decided to try and save and ended up with a store brands version. Its just peanuts and salt so label wise it is fine. The stuff is soooooo liquid. I stirred its been in the fridge but I can still pour the stuff out. :sick Its also got this strange color.. Like normal natural PB has a kind of gritty look and a umm peanut color. This stuff looks way too smooth and almost orange.
While I hate waste I'm really tempted to tos this jar and go back to what I know.
(its a kroger brand jar if it matters) http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=p...1-84A2E5FCDE43

2sunshines 03-24-2017 07:00 AM

Kroger natural pb is my go to brand! In fact I just picked up 10 jars this morning. :lol We've been using it for years. :rockon

When you open it the first time you REALLY have to stir and stir and stir. I spend a good 5 minutes getting all the hard stuff off the bottom and mixed in to the liquid on top. If you don't thoroughly mix it at this point you get real dry stuff at the bottom. Which even that is not a waste. I just throw it in baked goods when that happens. :shrug3 BUT the best method is to do a real deep mix up upon first opening, longer than you think you should need to... Then each time we use it we do a quick stir.

If yours is in the fridge and still liquidy it definitely is fairly solid on the bottom. Get a knife and dig in to that bottom chunk until you can get it stirred around well.

I don't refrigerate ours. I find it gets too hard plus with our family it never lasts long enough to worry about going bad. But I know a lot of people do. :yes

milkmommy 03-24-2017 07:24 AM

I always pour the contents into a bowl then so I can stir it all really well. I know this jar is well stired yet it is still really running. The taste is fine but I can't really use it for dd sandwiches. Maybe this jar somehow ended up with excessive oil.. I might just use this one in some recipes. Maybe ill get another jar and see if its any better.

2sunshines 03-24-2017 07:36 AM

Oh it's possible that the runniness you're referring to is simply the way the natural pb is without the added sugar. :think I'm not sure since I'm just used to it. :shrug3 But I do know that it is definitely much more runny than conventional pb. My kids still use it on sandwiches tho. But again, they have never known differently either. :shifty

I've also found that the "chunky" version is a bit less runny than the creamy. I buy both because different kids here prefer each variety. :yes

bananacake 03-24-2017 08:05 AM

It's AMAZING the difference between natural PB's that are just peanuts and salt. Trader Joe's is VERY runny and super roasted. I use it for muffins only because it's the cheapest. We have a semi-local brand called Teddy's that is the thickest and it's my favorite in the 16 oz jars. But Costco smells Teddy's in jars over twice the size, and the consistency is different :scratch

milkmommy 03-24-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6075221)
Oh it's possible that the runniness you're referring to is simply the way the natural pb is without the added sugar. :think I'm not sure since I'm just used to it. :shrug3 But I do know that it is definitely much more runny than conventional pb. My kids still use it on sandwiches tho. But again, they have never known differently either. :shifty

I've also found that the "chunky" version is a bit less runny than the creamy. I buy both because different kids here prefer each variety. :yes

We only use natural not convential. When I say liquI'd I literly mean its drinkable. Think like heavy cream pourable. I'm used to the thinner constancy but this is just liquid... its fully stired I mixed it all again bur it just pools and gets everywhere.

knitlove 03-24-2017 09:45 AM

That sounds like an off batch.

milkmommy 03-24-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6075241)
That sounds like an off batch.

I think its probably this.