Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=271358)

Heather Micaela 09-16-2008 03:55 PM

Re: A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
:rockon

I've found this to be very helpful for me as well - although, personally, I noticed a HUGE difference in maturity at 7. It was as if a switch flipped with my older two on their 7th birthday. :)

I have seen this with my own 7yo too -even though he is still less mature than his peers. But he had a "switch" 5 as well.

So Crystal. You would say a 5 yo is still an "infant" as well? I think I have seen instant maturity jumps at a few birthdays. I just know that for DD is was *very* important for me to embrace her immaturity and I had an silent mantra "She is still a baby" almost all year. Now at 5 she is already blossoming

And just to show I didn't imagine the age 8 thing:

Quote:

The National Association for the Education of Young Children works to raise the quality of childcare for children to age 8

ArmsOfLove 09-16-2008 03:58 PM

Yes--it's most assuredly time to protect and transition into teaching. I've come to find that transitioning from primarily teaching to focusing on correction is better from 8 to 12 and then turning over to natural consequences is the adolescent years :yes

Heather Micaela 09-16-2008 04:00 PM

So then using our familiar words - C would be a "toddler" with 5 being that transition age

naturallia 09-16-2008 04:58 PM

coming back

mwwr 09-16-2008 06:07 PM

:ty4 for this reminder! :yes

joy 09-16-2008 06:26 PM

this is awesome!

Atarah 09-16-2008 06:32 PM

Thanks for writing that all out. :heart

I do have an understanding of it, but sometimes I get caught up in unrealistic expectations, or allow myself to become angry or frustrated over little accidents.

Emerald Orchid 09-16-2008 06:40 PM

That's SO interesting! I would like to study more about it, what's your source?

Dana Joy 09-16-2008 06:42 PM

Just thinking more on this- I think this also goes along with a higher "age of accountability" that goes well with brain development research.

Heather Micaela 09-16-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy
Just thinking more on this- I think this also goes along with a higher "age of accountability" that goes well with brain development research.

True. I love CEF for their heart, but I think sometimes they try too hard with kids that are just too young

tigerlily 09-16-2008 07:01 PM

It reminded me of something else from Crystal's Biblical Parenting. She talks about toddlers/preschoolers being in an in-between stage of needing to have all needs met (infancy), and a teaching stage.

When a preschooler (or even early elementary age child) is having a good day, then we lean more to the teaching side with letting them experience some appropriate natural consequences. Conversely, if the child is having a "bad" or difficult day, you would lean more toward the infancy model of meeting most of their needs (babying them in an age-appropriate way ;)).

I know this thinking has helped me to show grace to my preschooler many times I otherwise would have grown frustrated and/or punitive.

mom2threegirls 09-16-2008 07:05 PM

That's a really great way to look at it, and so true :yes. I've noticed a HUGE change in my middle daughter since she turned 6. It's like someone turned a light switch. My 4 y/o is still very little and it's really helpful to think of it this way.

I too noticed a big BIG change when my oldest turned 7.

mom2jolakeil 09-16-2008 07:16 PM

That's what I love about Ilana's teacher. She is always saying, "they're just so little still" :heart Her Kindergarten teacher was always pushing them and expecting more out of them. I couldn't get her to understand the fact that they haven't been around that long and it's all still so new to them.

SamRose 09-16-2008 07:18 PM

Interesting! I was actually gonna post a question about if kids can be advanced physically, verbally & mentally, but still babies emotionally. I think thas wut my kids R, and I know I need to remind myself that just cuz they talk, act and move like older kids, they R still very little ones. It is hard 2 remember sometimes tho, when they R capable of something one day, and suddenly act as if they're not on another day. :giggle

TinyTotMommy 09-20-2008 04:14 AM

:heart This is the greatest thread.