Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   Instant Pot for Newbies (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521830)

bananacake 03-09-2017 05:43 AM

Re: Instant Pot for Newbies

Both DD and DH loved the yogurt. I used 1/2 can full fat coconut milk plus 2 cups coconut milk beverage (the refrigerated cartons). I don't like the unsweetened beverage in much, but I use it for savory cooking. So I'm always looking for uses for it.

So cost:
$1.25 for half can coc. milk + $.75 for beverage + $.05 for gelatin + $.11 for glucomannan + $.10 of sugar for the Tablespoon of sugar I put into each jar :shifty = $2.26 for 24 oz of yogurt (about)

I blended fruit into DD, so it's an even better deal. A 24 oz container of unsweetened yogurt is at least $6.49.

I based the amount of sugar on how many grams of sugar are in the little containers. I will experiment with honey, etc. I will also experiment with more canned coconut milk, which will raise the price but also the taste. I'm just low on it right now.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Oh, and I added a little lemon flavoring to DH's yogurt, this brand: https://www.vitacost.com/simply-organic-lemon-flavor I didn't measure it, because there were only a few drops left. But it was enough :tu

bananacake 03-13-2017 11:59 AM

What is your favorite thing to do in the IP with chicken breasts? GFDF :)

2sunshines 03-13-2017 12:53 PM

chicken teriyaki
salsa chicken
chicken vegetable soup

bananacake 03-13-2017 06:08 PM

I ended up simply sprinkling my homemade ranch seasoning on it. Everyone loved it, including my non-chicken lover!

2sunshines 03-14-2017 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6073085)
I ended up simply sprinkling my homemade ranch seasoning on it. Everyone loved it, including my non-chicken lover!

Yep as long as you have enough liquid in there to bring the pot to pressure you can pretty much do anything. Chicken breast adapts such a wide variety of flavours!

bananacake 03-22-2017 02:12 PM

I set the IP to rice but could not get the time to adjust. What am I doing wrong?

2sunshines 03-22-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6074848)
I set the IP to rice but could not get the time to adjust. What am I doing wrong?

I have never used the "rice" setting, just used manual and set it to the desired time. :think

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Found this on their website:

"The “Rice” button is timed for white or parboiled rice only.
~For other types of rice, set “Manual” to correct time (by pressing “-” to adjust the cooking time) for the type of rice you are cooking, in the case of brown rice, for example select 22-25 minutes depending on your preferences and any local issues, like high elevation."

http://instantpot.com/how-to-cook-pe...essure-cooker/

So it does not appear that you *can* adjust the time with the rice setting but need to either go with their time (for white) or use the manual setting. :)

AngelaVA 03-22-2017 04:41 PM

It seems from my experience thus far that the time you set for rice is about half the cook time on the package if you are also giving the time for natural release of pressure. It makes really good rice. It also takes less water. My light brown Costco rice is 11-12 minutes 2 cups rice 2.5 cups water. I also put salt and a tiny bit of butter in there. So good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bananacake 03-22-2017 05:00 PM

I've been doing 12 minutes for the white rice I get from Trader Joe's.

bananacake 03-26-2017 04:52 PM

Mother of Sons, how long do you cook the ground beef for?

Mother of Sons 03-26-2017 06:35 PM

I think I usually do 35 minutes for about 3 pounds then I check with the thermometer and add more time if needed.

bananacake 04-03-2017 03:39 PM

I have trouble cooking chicken breasts from frozen. Any tips? I usually freeze 2 small breasts in a bag together. I basically have to open the IP several times to adjust them in order to cook thoroughly.

The Tickle Momster 04-03-2017 03:54 PM

I freeze my chicken the same way. I put them in the IP with a cup of water or broth. Set it for 20 minutes and let it go. Usually shreddable when it's done. I have noticed a difference in texture between my Zaycon chicken and Foster Farms (I think) from Costco. Zaycon is tougher.

bananacake 04-03-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6077013)
I freeze my chicken the same way. I put them in the IP with a cup of water or broth. Set it for 20 minutes and let it go. Usually shreddable when it's done. I have noticed a difference in texture between my Zaycon chicken and Foster Farms (I think) from Costco. Zaycon is tougher.

Mine is still frozen in the middle after 20 :scratch

knitlove 04-03-2017 04:36 PM

Does the time start after it reaches prusher? I can cook frozen breast in my stove top prusher cooker 15 min at prusher and then 10 min natural release.