Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Dessert *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   ice cream maker tips (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=513261)

houseforjoy 04-13-2015 01:16 PM

ice cream maker tips

i don't have one yet, so recommend a budget friendly and quality one if you have one!!

but are there any tips to getting it more fluffy, and for getting it fluffy enough to store in the freezer for eating on later days? whenever i have made it in the past it is great right away as soft serve, but then gets rock hard in the freezer.

oh and i will be making these dairy free ice creams most likely. and corn free

kiloyd 04-19-2015 12:59 PM

Re: ice cream maker tips

I'll have to look to see what brand we have. My dh always makes the ice cream, I don't care much for the recipe he uses.

I keep thinking that I need to find some different recipes than his mom's that he uses which is eggs, sugar, half and half, condensed milk, vanilla, milk, I think that's all.

BestLaidPlans 04-19-2015 01:12 PM

Subbing because we told the kids we'd like to get one this summer.

Dandelion 04-19-2015 03:58 PM

I have the attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. I like it, and I used it a ton when we first got it, but not so much now.

Leslie 04-19-2015 04:41 PM

You have to add things to make it not freeze hard. I've read of people adding alcohol, but I there are other things you can add, too.

I got an ice cream maker and I'm probably going to give it to my son because I didn't know when I got it that whatever you make in it will freeze rock hard and I'm not going to bother googling what I need to add to prevent that. Whatever it is, it probably isn't on my diet anyway. And my whole point in getting it was to make ice cream I can eat and store it in the freezer for convenience. Since that's a no-go, I'm just doing thick smoothies in my Vitamix.

Lady Grey 04-19-2015 07:15 PM

MIL got us the Cuisenart a few years ago. We used it a ton that first summer but not so much since. We found that the recipes we used would store nicely for about 5-7 days, but they weren't dairy free.

kiloyd 04-19-2015 07:16 PM

A friend has told me you need to make a base first. I'll try and get the recipe from her.

Dandelion 04-20-2015 08:24 AM

One of the main reasons that I don't use mine very often is that it makes just enough ice cream for everyone in my family to have a small bowl. It ends up feeling like a lot of work for a tiny reward.

AngelaVA 04-20-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5909947)
One of the main reasons that I don't use mine very often is that it makes just enough ice cream for everyone in my family to have a small bowl. It ends up feeling like a lot of work for a tiny reward.

:yes this exactly. I have the kitchen aid one and it's a lot of time and a lot of dishes to wash for everyone to have a single bowl of ice cream with none left over. And you can't make a double batch the bowl has to freeze for 12 hours in between each one. And also, by the time you buy everything, it's more expensive than high quality store bought ice cream.

houseforjoy 04-20-2015 10:32 AM

yes, but there are very very very few corn free ice creams. and like no flavors:-/

but maybe at least when i spend $5 on a pint or less of chocolate i won't feel so bad that it isn't as expensive as i am thinking :shrug3

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5909947)

i don't need to feed everyone:shifty just me:shifty

right now the only tricks i have for fooling myself into ice cream are making my own dairy and corn free shakes -- freeze some canned coconut milk ice cubes, freeze some chocolate almond milk in ice cubes, and then put it in a blender with peanut butter and almond milk and blend.

but i some times i want to eat actual ice cream, and sometimes i am not brave enough to run the blender cuz the baby is sleeping :giggle

AngelaVA 04-20-2015 10:48 AM

Yes I think it would be the way to go to get allergen free ice cream.

Dovenoir 04-20-2015 03:19 PM

The higher fat smoothies I've made seems to freeze softer. Trader Joe's makes a coconut milk with xanthum gum and cellulose that makes a perfect blend although I know some avoid those items.

houseforjoy 04-20-2015 05:04 PM

yeah cellulose is corn and he reacts to it :(

passthemanna 04-21-2015 09:13 AM

We've made ice cream by putting the ingredients in a ziplock then ice & rock salt in a larger bag & putting the smaller bag inside that. That may be a good way to start without investing much $$