Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   the good and the beautiful help (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528879)

marbles 08-27-2020 09:32 AM

the good and the beautiful help

I'm using the good and the beautiful for the first time. We just started it this week, level 5 language arts only. I have a question about the flash cards and sentence dictation. For those who've used it: Am I supposed to just jump in quizzing her on info she hasn't covered yet? Or do we introduce the card/dictations after this information has been presented? There are some easy cards, but also they get into identifying geography she hasn't learned and grammar rules she hasn't gotten to this year, and then the sentence dictation has like four spelling rules that each page covers, I mean am I supposed to spend time teaching her these then do the dictation then do the lesson? This is not making sense to me. Doesn't the course teach these things? In my head, they will teach, for instance, a grammar rule and then I will reinforce that rule with the cards/dictation. But from the curriculum, they don't say anything about that. But if we just go ahead and start them at the beginning, is she going to be just memorizing these things by trial and error? I'm confused!

SewingGreenMama 08-27-2020 09:58 AM

Re: the good and the beautiful help

I've never used it. But I would look on you tube for a tutorial. There are a lot of homeschool mom's posting curriculum tutorials and example lessons. BF is a popular one so I imagine there will be some videos.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

knitlove 08-27-2020 10:15 AM

They might be more classical inspired where the kids memorize facts and then get the explanation to use it latter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aerynne 08-27-2020 10:56 AM

I wouldn’t quiz her on stuff she hasn’t learned. You can either introduce a new card by telling her the question and answer or wait until it is covered. For dictation you can tell her the rule before doing the dictation.

The Tickle Momster 08-27-2020 11:06 AM

For dictation I let me son read the rule each day. Then do up to 5 sentences as dictation. He's 12 and this is our 3rd year w/tgatb.

For the flash cards, I hand him 5 geography cards & 5 grammar cards. He works on them himself and I check him one day a week. If he can do them really well, I swap them out for new ones. If he struggles ir hesitates, he keeps them a few more days. I keep it low key.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

marbles 08-27-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6229099)
For dictation I let me son read the rule each day. Then do up to 5 sentences as dictation. He's 12 and this is our 3rd year w/tgatb.

For the flash cards, I hand him 5 geography cards & 5 grammar cards. He works on them himself and I check him one day a week. If he can do them really well, I swap them out for new ones. If he struggles ir hesitates, he keeps them a few more days. I keep it low key.

So you do them before you learn the information on them? The how to use them I get, it's the when that I don't understand.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6229096)
They might be more classical inspired where the kids memorize facts and then get the explanation to use it latter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That makes sense then. We don't do that so I was really confused about it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6229098)
I wouldn’t quiz her on stuff she hasn’t learned. You can either introduce a new card by telling her the question and answer or wait until it is covered. For dictation you can tell her the rule before doing the dictation.

I want to do this, I was trying to look through and see if it would tell you where they came in but it doesn't seem to. And there are reference pages that have states/countries/grammar rules to learn them, I'm assuming that at some.point the lessons will refer to those and then I put the flashcards in the learning pile?

The Tickle Momster 08-27-2020 02:00 PM

Yes, he learns the material as he memorized. Then he applies it as it comes up in writing, dictation, etc.

marbles 08-27-2020 05:03 PM

ok so genuine question. Is all that information not in the lessons? Or is the idea behind this you memorize questions and answers without the context, then add the context in later?

The Tickle Momster 08-27-2020 06:10 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure. :bag He does all his work independently. :shifty I will ask him tonight or tomorrow morning. :poke me if i don't come back.

I know he's learning it because he brings it up in conversation.

Lady Grey 08-27-2020 06:23 PM

Are you on their Facebook group? It's pretty active and I'm sure you could find answers there.

Aerynne 08-28-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6229100)
So you do them before you learn the information on them? The how to use them I get, it's the when that I don't understand.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

That makes sense then. We don't do that so I was really confused about it!

I want to do this, I was trying to look through and see if it would tell you where they came in but it doesn't seem to. And there are reference pages that have states/countries/grammar rules to learn them, I'm assuming that at some.point the lessons will refer to those and then I put the flashcards in the learning pile?

Honestly I’m not sure. I pretty much just let ds do level 5 on his own, just doing dictation sentences with him and checking those and the rest of his work.

MrsHutch 08-30-2020 11:35 AM

For sentence dictation, we go over the new rules at the beginning of each new page. We do 5 sentences a day. If they get one wrong, they write it correctly 5 times, and then get a chance to redo it the next day until they get it right. It's pretty straightforward, and mine rarely get the new rules wrong. They more often have to rewrite sentences for misspelling words (I don't remember if that's my rule or TGATB's rule).

For the flash cards, yes they just learn as they memorize. I have mine do 10 unmastered cards a day. They learn the card by looking at the answer side and saying it to themselves a few times, then move on to just looking at the blank side and trying to remember. When they can say the right answer without looking a few days in a row, they move it to the mastered category, and they review their mastered cards once a week. They do all of their geography flash cards themselves, I only occasionally check on their progress.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6229142)
ok so genuine question. Is all that information not in the lessons? Or is the idea behind this you memorize questions and answers without the context, then add the context in later?

Also responding to this... For the sentence rules... possibly. I know it covers a lot of rules in the lessons. For the geography, no the flash cards definitely cover way more than is in the book. I think the geography cards are meant to be used over 3 years, if I'm remembering correctly.