Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   how to help 7 yr pass hard BM (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=515851)

greenishmama 10-03-2015 07:50 AM

how to help 7 yr pass hard BM

My 7 yr old has a hard poo in there and can't pass it because it hurts. We've gave him 3 Pedia-Lax chewable tablets (magnesium hydroxide) last night (saline laxative) that says it works in 1/2 to 6 hours. Nothing yet. 3 more this morning. He drinks at least 8 oz. of water with them. Yesterday earlier in the day I had given him natural calm (magnesium citrate) and also some Citrucel (fiber bulking agent). He has tried several times but it won't come out or hurts too much.
Suggestions? I've read that stimulant laxatives can cause cramping and force out a painful one (which can cause further fear, etc.). Is it time for an enema? He's even been to swimming lessons this morning and the cool water apparently didn't stimulate him.

houseforjoy 10-03-2015 07:55 AM

Re: how to help 7 yr pass hard BM

Warm Epsom salt bath with lots of Epsom salt. Warm up the mag drinks and give warm tea. U can also use a stool softener, or do a large cap full of Miramax. Once he goes keep giving him mag for a few weeks to make sure everything gets out.

mamacat 10-03-2015 08:00 AM

That happened before when one of mine was younger and ended up having to lie on side in warm tub and uh poop in there.Of course had to well shower him and scrub tub right after

mom23sons 10-03-2015 08:04 AM

a suppository will soften the stool to make it easier to pass, but that is up to you if you want to go that route.

greenishmama 10-03-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseforjoy (Post 5950801)
Warm Epsom salt bath with lots of Epsom salt. Warm up the mag drinks and give warm tea. U can also use a stool softener, or do a large cap full of Miramax. Once he goes keep giving him mag for a few weeks to make sure everything gets out.

is that the same as Miralax? dh at store now....

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23sons (Post 5950804)
a suppository will soften the stool to make it easier to pass, but that is up to you if you want to go that route.

I explained suppositories and enemas to him and he seems open to the idea! :shrug3 Just think that will change once we're doing it! so want to try other routes first...

mamacat 10-03-2015 08:23 AM

I would use suppositories with caution they really burn!

greenishmama 10-03-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 5950812)
I would use suppositories with caution they really burn!

thanks! good to know. I wonder if the Pedia-Lax brand suppositories don't burn.?
do you mean the glycerin suppositories or are you referring to enemas that burn?

mamacat 10-03-2015 08:39 AM

The glycerin suppositories

houseforjoy 10-03-2015 09:27 AM

ack sorry, yes mira LAX not miramax. and yes sometimes telling them tojust poop in the tub is much easier on them.

mom23sons 10-03-2015 09:40 AM

I have given a plenty of suppositories and never have heard of them burning....hmmm

houseforjoy 10-03-2015 09:43 AM

they can burn. i don't know if it is a certain type or what but it doesn't make the process eaiser for a child

mom23sons 10-03-2015 09:44 AM

I wonder if it just glycerin?? I have given dulcolaxx and other medicated types.....hmm new to me and been a RN for 23 years.....

greenishmama 10-03-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23sons (Post 5950839)
I wonder if it just glycerin?? I have given dulcolaxx and other medicated types.....hmm new to me and been a RN for 23 years.....

so are you saying the don't typically burn? Maybe it's the insertion itself that is uncomfortable? I remember getting enemas as a kid and hating it but don't remember details...

mamacat 10-03-2015 09:59 AM

No the glycerin burns like fire after it melts - this has been my own experience and when tried to use with kids

mom23sons 10-03-2015 10:00 AM

It may be the insertion itself that is the burning not the medication.....if you do go the enema or suppository route make sure you use something to lubricate the enema or supp.