Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Is anyone working in the garden yet? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529402)

heartofjoy 03-23-2021 02:01 PM

Is anyone working in the garden yet?

I know many of you don't live as far south as I do. It's in the 80s today in Texas. :shifty

My son-in-law helped me make a large bed against my backyard fence and I've been collecting plants. I'm so excited! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...72ea8066a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b99d72230a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7fbfe7f997.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 03-23-2021 02:21 PM

Re: Is anyone working in the garden yet?

Ooooh, that's going to be lovely!

We've started seedlings, mainly vegetables. I usually have a kid or two that wants to start some flowers every year, so I let them have at it. They usually go for showy annuals, so our yard always looks different. We're too far north to get anything in the ground just yet.

Aerynne 03-23-2021 02:34 PM

I am trying to decide if I want to either cover my garden up and keep my toddler out of it this year and not plant anything or get some kind of fencing to keep her out of the plants. I do want to do it but keeping a toddler out is so much work! We can't plant most things outside until May but we start seeds inside in April.

passthemanna 03-23-2021 02:44 PM

Ive gotten as far as throwing cardboard out to smother weed sprouts... but it's barely covered and kind of blown around. Our garden gets over taken by mallow. I keep thinking i should plant lettuce

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 03-23-2021 05:10 PM

I failed at spinach and some kind of peas - sugar or those flat ones last year. I guess I better check with the kids to see if they want to try again. I have too much shade is the problem.

heartofjoy 03-23-2021 05:33 PM

I like permanent plants. I usually go for perennials and flowering shrubs and trees. My yard has very little vegetation so I'm starting by putting in some plants that will last for years and then in the future I might decide to grow some vegetables.

I do plan to make a little hodge podge herb garden. I was going to buy a raised bed for over $100 but then decided to get creative with stuff I have. I got what looks like legs to a toddler table for free from a neighbor. And I have a container than will sit on top. I just need to attach it. Maybe. And add dirt.

domesticzookeeper 03-23-2021 06:53 PM

We can't safely plant until Memorial Day :giggle So I'm vicariously living through other, warmer gardens :popcorn

Once it is warm enough, our project this year is a U-shaped raised bed with two types of sunflowers and some pickling cucumbers to climb stakes/sunflower stalks and fill in the lower foliage.

Sundance 03-24-2021 04:08 AM

You can definitely plant things before Memorial Day, just not cold sensitive crops.
Peas, kale, cabbages, etc can be planted now or once the soil can be worked.

Having said that, we still have snow.
But I have crocuses coming up.

And I've been trying to ditch around my garlic bed because it was flooded with the melt & underwater....I hope it's OK, because there are more than 400 bulbs.

2sunshines 03-24-2021 05:20 AM

Not yet but I definitely have the bug! We still have some below freezing nights ahead. Most of what I plant needs to be after the freezes are done. But I'm thinking and planning and am excited!!!

Aerynne 03-24-2021 06:02 AM

I have crosuses, too. They make me so happy!

PrincessAnika 03-24-2021 09:50 AM

Not yet. I haven’t had good luck tomatoes, cukes, peppers, etc from seed so I think we’ll stop at the garden store and grab some when it’s warm enough to plant. Peas and beans I can do from seed, and hope to, and lettuces as well. I need to yank out a bunch of mint before I can start turning soil and we didn’t have very good luck last year between what we think was too old seeds, weather, and animal. Might need to add some stuff to the dirt. I want to do carrots again, and onions as well. Not sure what else yet. Maybe an eggplant or two, zucchini/yellow squash, and some herbs - those I might actually try to get into a pot or smaller box though. :think I wonder if one of those plastic shoeboxes might work? If I put some rocks on the bottom and then the dirt on top? I don’t have a sunny side window sill I can use for a box so I’ll have to be able to set it outside I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 03-24-2021 02:59 PM

I wanted to start turning the soil and plant sugar snap peas & kale but I didn't get to it. It's snowing this week so maybe next week I can.

heartofjoy 03-24-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6247184)
I wanted to start turning the soil and plant sugar snap peas & kale but I didn't get to it. It's snowing this week so maybe next week I can.

I don't know how people live further north. I hate winter in Texas! Every year I want to move to Mexico.

But I've been cold natured all my life. I need warmth to feel normal.

I am looking for two specific plants that I bought last year for my garden. It was new last year and I was experimenting. These two plants, Rock Rose and Blackfoot Daisies, did very well and I want to add more but I'm having trouble locating them.

I contacted my nursery and they got some of the daisies in today but they are almost sold out! I can't go on Wednesdays. But I'll go tomorrow when they open and hopefully get some.

ViolaMum 03-25-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAnika (Post 6247132)
Not yet. I haven’t had good luck tomatoes, cukes, peppers, etc from seed so I think we’ll stop at the garden store and grab some when it’s warm enough to plant. Peas and beans I can do from seed, and hope to, and lettuces as well. I need to yank out a bunch of mint before I can start turning soil and we didn’t have very good luck last year between what we think was too old seeds, weather, and animal. Might need to add some stuff to the dirt. I want to do carrots again, and onions as well. Not sure what else yet. Maybe an eggplant or two, zucchini/yellow squash, and some herbs - those I might actually try to get into a pot or smaller box though. :think I wonder if one of those plastic shoeboxes might work? If I put some rocks on the bottom and then the dirt on top? I don’t have a sunny side window sill I can use for a box so I’ll have to be able to set it outside I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI: Old Miracle Grow will kill your seedlings, too. If you use it, make sure it's newer.

DH's grandmother always started her seeds in paper milk cartons turned sideways. (We usually got seedlings from her, she had so many.) But were you thinking of keeping them in the plastic box or just starting them that way?

heartofjoy 03-25-2021 11:38 AM

I bought 30 bags of dirt today. Some cheap topsoil to fill the bed and replace what we removed, a few big bags of miracle grow garden soil to boost the nutrients, and 1 bag of potting mix to start a little herb planter.