Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   this board never gets used (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=226277)

Sarai 01-09-2008 12:01 PM

Re: this board never gets used

This is so interesting! I WOH and feel like I never, ever have time to make a decent meal (or we end up eating the same old thing). I was always afraid of them because I'd heard they could explode, but it sounds like the newer ones might be safer? I need to look into this. :think

Katherine 01-09-2008 12:02 PM

I need to get mine back out!

I have done beans, pot roast (BEST I ever made--mouthwatering and fall-apart tender), soup..... what else? :think

but I tend to forget about it b/c I'm "used to" regular pots.

It really does cut down on cooking time. :yes :rockon and the flavor of almost anything is better when it's done in a PC!

The newer ones typically have 3 separate safety release mechanisms.

Abinsmom 01-09-2008 04:04 PM

PCs are expensive, but don't be intimidated by the price. They are a fantastic investment! I've made some of my best meals in my PC. It's not like a crock pot that turns everything into mush.

CakeLady 01-09-2008 04:59 PM

I have 3 PCs. :shifty

2 Kuhn Rikon (sp??) and one electric one from QVC....they are all different and good for different things!

Abinsmom 01-09-2008 07:43 PM

CakeLady--

My friend has an electric from QVC as well. She says she likes it because her smaller Kuhn's handles get too hot on her gas cooktop (and one actually melted!). How big are your electric and Kuhns? I'm trying to make a decision on a new smaller Kuhn (I have the 7L -- it's enormous), and after my friend told me about her 3.5 L Kuhn braiser where the handle melted (she now covers it with foil -- what a pain), I'm thinking twice about it! She's got an inexpensive Kenmore gas stove so maybe she doesn't have as much control over her flame as I do (not that I have a Viking, but I have good control on my burners, I think).

CakeLady 01-09-2008 09:14 PM

I will check in the morning what size I have, but my small Kuhn is only the size of a skillet and about 3 inches deep. On a gas burner you are supposed to use a flame tamer. I have used mine on a coil and glass top and the handles never get hot. One of my friends has the same small Kuhn, gas burners, uses the flame tamer thingy and has never had a problem. If I don't post the size of my cookers tomorrow...remind me. :smile

Lady TS 01-10-2008 12:01 PM

I did stew the other night. Here's the recipe I sorta followed:

1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
1TB shortening(I use oil)
1 tsp salt
dash pepper(I use more)
1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup onions( I think I ended up using two onions)
4 carrots, whole(I used a bag of baby carrots)
4 potatoes, medium, cut in halves

Brown the meat on all sides in the oil . Add salt, pepper, paprika and water and put lid on. Bring to pressure and cook 8 mins (on 15lbs pressure). Remove from heat and let cool naturally 5 mins and then decompress under faucet.

Add remaining ingredients. My pressure cooker allows you to fill half full, so I kept adding veggies until it was that full. Cover, bring to pressure and cook 6-8 mins (on 15 lbs pressure). Decompress instantly under faucet.

Prepare gravy recipe:
Stir 2 TB flour into 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Add to stew liquid and simmer until it thickens. Put back in with stew and stir--dinner's ready!

mummy2boys 02-17-2008 05:22 PM

Tanya....that receipe looks good :yes Imight have to pull my pressure cooker out of storage now ;)

knitlove 12-16-2013 05:24 PM

Come talk to me about pruser vookets. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=495110