Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Anyone Have A Whole-House Water Filter? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517430)

bananacake 01-14-2016 07:41 AM

Anyone Have A Whole-House Water Filter?

I'm looking into this and don't know where to start. I mean a filter that exists for where your water enters the house.

For many years, the water in my town was unsafe to drink. A lot of the neighboring towns have unsafe water. I'd at least like to filter out the chlorine and something that is present that is known to be cancer-causing (gotta find that water safety paper they send).

ECingMama 01-14-2016 07:50 AM

Re: Anyone Have A Whole-House Water Filter?

We were quoted t d 6K. Subbing.

bananacake 01-14-2016 07:51 AM

Green Smoothie Girl claims you can get one for $250 :hunh

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 08:01 AM

We had one installed a few houses ago. Our last rental house had one because the water was so rusty.

To remove cancer causing chemicals I believe you're looking at reverse osmosis.

Have you considered a Berkey for now?

bananacake 01-14-2016 08:36 AM

I'm as concerned about the chlorine absorbed in the shower as I am about drinking water. So I'm considering all options :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

This is what GSG says: "I have a $250
carbon filter installed by a plumber in my home to remove it from all of the water in my
home, as well as the comprehensive filtration of drinking water at the kitchen sink."

Is such a thing even possible?

bananacake 01-14-2016 10:43 AM

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/p...on-systems.htm

houseforjoy 01-14-2016 11:13 AM

yes they sell whole house reverse osmosis systems at home improvement type stores and they are a few hundred dollars. you do need to replace filters occasionally. i really want one, but at this point i will wait until our next house in about a year.

bananacake 01-14-2016 12:40 PM

This one looks promising: http://www.lowes.com/pd_31217-43353-...AID=1024201690

Soliloquy 01-15-2016 04:39 PM

That looks similar to what we installed a few houses ago.

Personally I would add a Berkey with a fluoride filter for drinking water, unless your municipal water is without added fluoride.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-.../fluoride.html

2sunshines 01-15-2016 07:07 PM

We have two different things going on. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on the issue at hand) we have well water. So no fluoride or chlorine issues, but other issues to contend with.

We have a whole house filter and a water softener at the main water intake of our home. :yes

However, we do not drink any of this water. For our drinking water we debated buying a reverse osmosis filter, but decided instead to buy a water cooler that dispersed from a 5 gallon water. Then I just fill those up regularly through a reverse osmosis water filtration system at our local grocery store. Fairly inexpensive and great drinking water. :yes We go through more gallons than you would guess a week. :shifty But we are fairly heavy water drinkers so it's vital to have healthy and delicious pure water. :rockon

Occassionally I consider looking in to an in-home reverse osmosis system in addition to our whole house filter and water softener, but for now, this is working. And it's fairly inexpensive. So I'm happy with it as is.

bananacake 01-04-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 5980483)
Personally I would add a Berkey with a fluoride filter for drinking water, unless your municipal water is without added fluoride.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-.../fluoride.html

There is no fluoride added to our water :jawdrop

I found a reverse osmosis system that also has a carbon filter. Thoughts on reverse osmosis?

2sunshines 01-04-2018 03:36 PM

two years later and we're still lugging water jugs for our drinking water. BUT we are finally almost done! Next month dh is planning to purchase a reverse osmosis filtering system to put under the kitchen sink to dispense water.

This is one of the ones that he is considering: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2FK9SWWGDTINQ

Mind you, not entirely helpful to you since this is just for the sink and not whole house.... Like I said before we do whole house and water softener, but not reverse osmosis at that level.

KarenBoo 01-05-2018 02:55 AM

When we purchased our house about a year ago, we bought a whole-house filter. It softens first, then filters. They guy really wanted us to add reverse osmosis water at the sink, but I am not convinced that RO water is healthy. I heard that the structure of the water changes, and that it also becomes more acidic. Obviously, minerals are stripped out too.

So we kept our Multipure at the sink. We've had that for 11 years now!

Anyway, I tried to research whole-house filters, and I found that it's an incredibly difficult task! There is no real apples to apples comparison that I could find!

In the end, I went with a system recommended by a guy in our community whose wife died from cancer. He is convinced that our city's water is to blame, and campaigned heavily to get our mayor to at least get some testing done, which our mayor did not do. But, this guy did do a lot of research on water filters, so I just went with what he got. If I had to do it again, I'm not sure that I'd recommend this particular system because it uses copper in there somewhere, and I'm all about ridding the body of unbound copper at the moment!

One reason we did choose this particular one is because we can move it if we move. But again, I don't know if I would just leave it with the house and try again with a different one.

Interestingly enough, as soon as we installed it, Kitten started having frequent, random food reactions (throat swelling!) Our homeopath fixed her up though, but it's a very strange thing. I had her drink nothing but bottled water for a while while we sorted it out. And when she returned to drinking our house water, she was fine for a few months, but then the reactions started again. So now, she just uses her homeopathy and that works, but if she doesn't take it, the problem can come up again.

All in all, I love having it. We take detox baths frequently, and I feel *so* much better about the water. When I go to hotels now, the showers smell like a swimming pool to me. And one thing I did not expect - the toilets need more frequent cleaning. There's no chlorine to combat the slime that grows in toilets!:sick

bananacake 01-05-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6123622)
Mind you, not entirely helpful to you since this is just for the sink and not whole house.... Like I said before we do whole house and water softener, but not reverse osmosis at that level.

At this point, I'd be happy with something filtering out the chlorine from the whole house and getting a countertop filter for the kitchen :yes

2sunshines 01-05-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6123726)
At this point, I'd be happy with something filtering out the chlorine from the whole house and getting a countertop filter for the kitchen :yes

I agree. Ideally i'd love to filter our whole home but practically and cost efficiently this is the route we're going.

Let me know what system you decide to go with. I'm learning with you. :yes