Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Soups *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   What kind of soup do you like? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=375363)

Ajani 09-10-2010 06:42 AM

What kind of soup do you like?

The cool weather seems to have arrived, so my thoughts are turning to soup. It's as quick and healthy as you need it to be. And some days nothing else will do.

I prefer creamy soups. I like to add things like cheese or bacon or croutons or sliced green onion to doctor them up at the end. :yes

I don't mind some brothy ones, but with a few exceptions I don't care for bits of meat. I prefer the broth on its own, with a nice chunk of crusty bread and maybe a slice of really sharp cheddar.

Our son especially loves lentil and barley soup. Always has. I used to puree it for him when he was a baby.

I'm going to post a few soup recipes that I enjoy in the cool months. How do you like your soup?

ncsweetpea 09-10-2010 06:56 AM

Re: What kind of soup do you like?

Homemade chicken rice is my favorite. :yum

delightedmama 09-10-2010 07:15 AM

Broccoli & cheese. DH's least favorite :jawdrop

Hope to see some soup recipes added!

jewelmcjem 09-10-2010 07:22 AM

My kids love this cheesy veggie medley soup, but it's not very healthy. I'm not sure how you'd make it w/o the Velveeta. :duck

It's basically chicken broth brought to a boil, then add sauteed onion and 2 bags of frozen california medley. Once veggies are cooked, you add half a brick of velveeta, cubed. Once it's melted, you take a stick blender and smush the veggies up. A potato masher or even just a fork work pretty well too. We serve it with crusty french bread. It would be awesome in bread bowls.

Lady TS 09-10-2010 07:25 AM

When I am sick I totally crave Wonton soup, but can't seem to make it well for myself...

I like white chili and a good beef veggie stew(does that count as soup though?).

The kids like any soup I put ABC pasta in...unless (for ds2) it contains green beans or greens

charla 09-10-2010 07:56 AM

I LOVE soup. :heart

Charla’s Chicken Noodle Soup
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 TBSP olive oil
½ lg onion, diced
2 carrots, halved and sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 lg garlic clove, minced
2 qts chicken broth
2 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
1 bay leaf
1 large lemon
Salt
4 oz whole grain spaghetti, broken into bite-size lengths
Shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.

Meanwhile sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil until soft. Stir in chicken broth, water, chicken bouillon cube if using and bay leaf. Season with salt and juice of the lemon. Bring to a boil and add broken spaghetti. Cube chicken into bite-size pieces and add to soup. Gently boil until pasta is tender about 8-10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and adjust salt. Ladle into bowls and top each serving with shredded parmesan cheese.

Don't be afraid of the lemon in this recipe. It really brightens the flavor of the soup.

Charla’s Navy Bean Soup

1 1b navy beans, soaked either overnight or by quick method, drained and rinsed
1TBSP olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 TBSP canned diced jalapeños
6-8 slices of ham, diced
1 qt chicken broth
2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
Shredded Parmesan cheese to top each serving

Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the chicken broth, water, navy beans, jalapeños and ham and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme and continue to simmer, covered for another hour or more until beans are tender. Check the seasonings. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.

Charla's Cream of Tomato Soup
1 48 oz can tomato juice
4 TBSP butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 cups milk for desired creaminess

Heat tomato juice, butter, salt and pepper over medium heat. When hot, reduce heat to low and add milk, stir and heat just until hot so milk doesn't curdle.

Charla's French Onion Soup

This is my version based on a recipe I found in a cookbook that I've had for years.

4 large onions, sliced
1/2 stick butter
2-3 cloves minced garlic - my addition
6 cups beef broth
dried thyme (1/2 tsp ?) - my addition
salt & pepper

Sauté onions in melted butter in a large pot on medium heat until they turn a deep brown color. Stir often. Sometimes it helps to put the lid on for a little bit at a time or add a little salt to the onions to help them break down. When the onions are almost done add the minced garlic to sauté for a couple minutes. Add the beef broth and seasonings and stir well. Bring to a boil, lower heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. You can ladle into bowls or crocks and top each serving with a French bread slice and parmesan plus other white cheeses - mozzarella, Swiss, etc. and then place under broiler to make it all melty and oozy.

Charla's Chili
1 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 minced garlic clove

Brown meat and soften veggies in a large soup pot. When browned add:

1 can beef broth
1 can rotel
2 cans black beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 TBSP or more to taste chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
1 tsp granulated onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat through. This is a soupy chili because that's the way I like it. :snooty Serve topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Potato Soup
3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/2 large onion, diced
2-3 celery ribs, diced
1 TBSP butter or olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 qt chicken broth
1 qt half and half (could use cream or milk)
Salt

Melt butter in soup pot over medium heat, add onion, celery and garlic and saute until softened. Add potatoes, broth and salt and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until potatoes are for tender. Add half and half and heat just until hot. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Be creative with toppers: shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sliced green onion, pepper, croutons, sour cream, etc.

Maggirayne 09-10-2010 07:58 AM

I looooove Chicken Tortilla soup, and Cheesburger Soup and vegetable soup with big chunks of meat. :yum

I don't think there's any soup I don't like. I looove this soup book of cooks' favourite thatI got from B&N, and I can't find it. :hissyfit

charla 09-10-2010 08:00 AM

One of my children's favorites: Chicken Mug Pie http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

MaybeGracie 09-10-2010 08:54 AM

I love turkey soup, French onion soup, and creamy squash-based soups.

Starfox 09-10-2010 09:00 AM

I love creamy, cheesey, hearty soup. Yumm.. My favorite is cheesey chicken spicey soup in the crock pot. I'll post the recipe when I find it!

I'd love the recipe to the Chicken Tortilla soup too.

And Charla, :ty for the awesome recipes!!! Yum!!!

MarynMunchkins 09-10-2010 09:03 AM

Black bean soup. Italian wedding soup. Bean and bacon. Broccoli Cheese. Tomato. French Onion.

:yum

Now I want soup. :lol Too bad it's 92 here.

Ajani 09-10-2010 09:07 AM

Oh yeah, French Onion. I love that. But only with beef broth. I've had it with chicken and it's not the same. Not as rich. I like it with beer in it, too.

mommylove 09-10-2010 09:10 AM

Dh isn't much of a soup guy. Weird. :no I love lentil soup out of the crockpot with fresh bread from the bread machine. No effort.

Macky 09-10-2010 09:11 AM

I like too many soups to list recipes unless specifically requested. :yes

I make three different versions of potato leek soup, so that might be my favourite. I also do one that tastes like a loaded baked potato... mmmmm!

Curried roast cauliflower soup is addictive. I add half a cup of cream to this recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...uliflower-soup

Turkey and chicken soup with homemade broth is a given. I switch up the starch – potato, pasta or rice – depending on my mood.

Beef and barley soup is awesome as well as a hamburger soup recipe from a community cookbook (fundraiser) from hubby's home town years ago; it's heavier on veggies than other hamburger soups I've had. I guess chili would come under this same category... just made some this week (rainy here).

Oooo... I've got a wild rice soup (recipe clipped from local paper) that is hubby's favourite – masses of wild rice with carrots and celery and other veggies in an incredibly yummy broth with a smidge of cream.

I finally found a split pea and ham soup recipe that I like (more complex than the usual recipe), but only myself and DD2 like it... DD1 and DH turn up their noses at the mere mention of split peas.

Made a minestrone once that was AWESOME and then promptly lost the recipe. :doh

I feel like I'm missing some.

Soups I love, but don't make myself are French onion (can't seem to get the broth right even though I can make perfect caramelized onions) and tomato. Despite my garden tomato snobbery, for some reason nothing beats Campbell's tomato from a tin for me. Perhaps it's the childhood, comfort food link.

ETA: Oh, I made a squash soup for the first time last week that was heavy on the roasted garlic (two full heads). I don't typically like squash in any form except pumpkin pie and muffins, but this was absolutely delicious!

raining_kisses 09-10-2010 09:13 AM

chicken tortilla with avocado and sour cream. yummmm...