Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Paul David Tripp? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526162)

NovelMama 10-05-2018 07:49 AM

Paul David Tripp?

Anyone know about his parenting advice? A friend just posted that she found a parenting video series by him that she really loves. Wasn’t sure if he’s connected to Ted Tripp and shared the same dangerous parenting beliefs or not.

ECingMama 10-05-2018 08:12 AM

Re: Paul David Tripp?

He’s more gracious. Don’t know if there is anything bad.

Maleldil's daughter 10-05-2018 08:14 AM

Yeah, they're connected. Paul is Ted's brother, iirc. My old church did a parenting video series from Paul Tripp and I attended several to see what they were like. The basic philosophy and theology were completely the same as in Sheparding a Child's Heart. There was slightly less emphasis on spanking in that he did not go on and on with detailed instructions, but it was definitely an expected component of the child-rearing model.
When I discussed the material with others at the church, I did not mention spanking at all, since everyone there accepted it. What I did talk about was how focusing solely on the parents' authority distorts the parent-child relationship - kind of a connection before correction idea. I also shared how I believe the Holy Spirit is the one who changes people's hearts. (Honestly I didn't challenge it much because most people in that church had teens or grown children, and I was already being marginalized and on thin ice in that church anyway, so I didn't really think anyone would listen.)

OnAMission 10-06-2018 09:13 AM

My mom found him really gracious (coming from Dobson-ish parenting). In particular, she really enjoyed Paul Tripp’s teen parenting book because it emphasized (in her view) that teenagers are not a lost cause, that relationships with teens *can* be good, etc. Given that her relationship with her parents was terrible when she was teen, it was helpful. From my perspecive my parents were actually really good parents of teenagers.

That being said, I have skimmed his teenage book since it meant so much to my mom. From a gentle parenting perspective it could seem punitive or authoritarian, and all of the advice that is good is already known by people who read regularly here. So I think Paul Tripp parenting info could be useful with a filter, but is likely not earth-shattering to Moms here.

Maleldil's daughter 10-07-2018 07:12 PM

I came back to say, actually the video I saw on teens was pretty good - and I see someone else has already mentioned he has good things to say for the older crowd. So I amend my negative review to say that I would definitely avoid his material for the under-5 ages, but his perspective on teens is encouraging and does actually encourage connection.