Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Canning...did they seal? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=418276)

melliethepooh 07-29-2011 02:32 PM

Canning...did they seal?

:nails I canned some cherries this morning (brandied cherries...sooooo yummy). The recipe claimed that they'll keep in the fridge for a couple months without processing, but I'd like to give these as gifts so they need to last longer than that.

When I pulled them out of the water, some of the cans were bubbling. Like, bubbles coming out of the lid. And tiny amounts of juice seeped out, just enough to stain the towel. Sounds like they didn't seal, right? But all the lids eventually popped down (with a very satisfying snap) and they have that characteristic hollow 'thump' you get when cans seal.

So who thinks they sealed, and who would risk it? I might just give those jars to family members with a disclaimer. Since the syrup is brandy, wine and sugar, I wouldn't expect much to grow in there...and the recipe called for a 5 min water bath, but since we're at 5k feet I had them at 5 lbs of pressure for ten minutes instead.

:shrug3

Tengokujin 07-29-2011 03:51 PM

Re: Canning...did they seal?

They sealed. As they heated up, juice was forced out, but when the temperature dropped, like it's supposed to, the vacuum was formed and it sealed.

The Tickle Momster 07-29-2011 03:57 PM

I'd say they sealed. :yes Yum!

melliethepooh 07-29-2011 06:29 PM

:phew Thanks, I thought I'd lost half the batch!
Posted via Mobile Device

Zooey 07-29-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tengokujin (Post 4068345)
They sealed. As they heated up, juice was forced out, but when the temperature dropped, like it's supposed to, the vacuum was formed and it sealed.

Yes, this.
You can test them, if you're still worried, by pressing down on the lid. As long as it is down, you won't be able to pop it up & down. If it isn't like that, I would say, if it moves, just put the jar in boiling water & reheat it, & it will seal tight for sure. (I grew up in a house with no pressure cooker, & a grandmother who did everything in a hot water bath canner. Even:shifty meat).
Or you could, if you find one is not sealed (but I am sure they are!), put on a screw lid & use them up. Or pour pariffine[sp?] on it which will seal it for months. (Both my garndmothers did all their jams & jellies & pickles with paraffine. Never had a bad one.

melliethepooh 07-30-2011 08:05 AM

There's only one whose lid does pop up a bit...that'll be mine. And nobody else's!
Posted via Mobile Device