Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   Instant Pot for Newbies (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521830)

Soliloquy 02-05-2017 05:50 PM

Re: Instant Pot for Newbies

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6066120)
I definitely think this regularly. However it's in direct opposite to my minimalist wannabe aspirations. :bag So that's what holds me back.

Yeah, money is holding me back. I got rid of my rice cooker years ago. My crock pot has been in a closet ever since I got my IP. So, if I get a second IP I could donate the crock pot. :think

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 6066132)
I got a second one for Christmas. It's great.

:highfive

I'm going to try and hold out until Christmas. They usually go on sale for cyber week.

bananacake 02-06-2017 07:58 AM

I used 2 crockpots and my IP yesterday :shifty

tempus vernum 02-06-2017 07:16 PM

So pressure cooker, rice cooker, and slow cooker :think

We have 2 pressure cookers and a slow cooker but.... I want another pressure cooker because I have small and huge -- I keep wondering if IP is best way to go. The huge pressure cookies is too huge to be on my stovetop all the time :think so often I could use a second not enormous pressure cooker

2sunshines 02-07-2017 03:00 AM

:yes If you're in the market for another pressure cooker, I'd definitely go IP.

I LOVE that i can use it for all the functions and I do regularly. :yes

Sundance 02-07-2017 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6065962)
I put my seal in the dishwasher if I cook something highly seasoned/fragrant. I've had mine over a year and use it 2-3x a week, no issues.

I'm really sorry you're having issues, Sundance. They definitely should send you a new seal.

Have you posted this on their social media?

Good idea!
I filed complaint & ordered new rings last Wednesday. The rings arrived yesterday (which is crazy, because this is Canada & things don't ship fast), and I haven't heard from IP, yet.
So I posted the above, basically, on their wall, saying I hoped they'd resolve it quickly. They didn't answer yesterday & when I looked through their wall, there were lots of complaints, sitting there unanswered.

There's definitely something else wrong with my IP, too. The lid is hard to put on (it's like there's pressure as soon as I put the lid on & the valve pops up. I have to wiggle and shake it down & I think that knocks the ring off track). Then when it's on, the pressure valve won't come up & pressure won't build, but it starts counting, anyways & if I'm not right there, it boils dry :(

2sunshines 02-07-2017 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundance (Post 6066368)
Good idea!
I filed complaint & ordered new rings last Wednesday. The rings arrived yesterday (which is crazy, because this is Canada & things don't ship fast), and I haven't heard from IP, yet.
So I posted the above, basically, on their wall, saying I hoped they'd resolve it quickly. They didn't answer yesterday & when I looked through their wall, there were lots of complaints, sitting there unanswered.

There's definitely something else wrong with my IP, too. The lid is hard to put on (it's like there's pressure as soon as I put the lid on & the valve pops up. I have to wiggle and shake it down & I think that knocks the ring off track). Then when it's on, the pressure valve won't come up & pressure won't build, but it starts counting, anyways & if I'm not right there, it boils dry :(

:( I have heard of a few people having big issues like this. I hope they resolve yours. Definitely keep us up to date.

Sundance 02-24-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6066369)
:( I have heard of a few people having big issues like this. I hope they resolve yours. Definitely keep us up to date.

I submitted pics of my IP & a video of it doing what it shouldn't, on my ticket.
They replied that it looked like a pressure sensor was malfunctioning & that they would send me a new base.
My IP package arrived yesterday & it was a complete new kit!!

I am quite impressed with their customer service (though it was slow at first & I did have to push a bit too have my ticket sent to their technical department)! :heart

The new pot must be an updated version, because it has a "cake" and "egg" buttons (though the model number is still the same)

2sunshines 02-24-2017 10:56 AM

Awesome! So glad to hear such a good review!

RealLifeMama 02-25-2017 05:53 PM

I am wanting to love my IP, but so far, I am just "meh" about it.
The boiled eggs came out well, but it wasn't any quicker than my regular method.
I couldn't fit my roast in, so I had to use my crock pot.

I hoped it would be a life saver on busy nights we have activities, but so far, I haven't figured out how to really utilize it.

2sunshines 02-25-2017 06:03 PM

I am an IP lover, and fwiw, I still do hard boiled eggs on the stove. :shrug3

I do use it for many things tho. For example, tonight I wanted to make mashed potatoes, and peeled and steamed the potatoes in 15 minutes in the IP instead of much longer on stove top...

I also love cooking bone broth and dried beans in the IP. HUGE time saver. :heart

Sundance 02-26-2017 10:06 AM

I boil eggs in my IP. I do a dozen or more at a time, though. But it takes about 13 minutes, total & that's much quicker than boiling them on the stove (plus I put them in and walk away...I don't have to wait for them to boil & set the timer). But we also use our own, fresh eggs & the only way I can peel them is if they're cooked in the IP

How much do y'all adjust for altitude? I found a recipe testator that recommended triple the time I usually use.... But her altitude was very high.

RealLifeMama 02-26-2017 01:27 PM

I boil eggs on the stove in 20 minutes from start to finish, (peeled and all) and my method works for fresh hen eggs, too. Then all I have to wash is a pot.

Anyway, I didn't get the pot to help me boil eggs. I was really hoping for quicker, easier dinner time solutions. I guess I just haven't found them yet, but would really like to.

2sunshines 02-26-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6070025)
I boil eggs on the stove in 20 minutes from start to finish, (peeled and all) and my method works for fresh hen eggs, too. Then all I have to wash is a pot.

Anyway, I didn't get the pot to help me boil eggs. I was really hoping for quicker, easier dinner time solutions. I guess I just haven't found them yet, but would really like to.

Srsly. Cooking dry beans and bone broth alone make the IP well worth its purchase. Do you do either of those?

Mother of Sons 02-26-2017 05:55 PM

I use it a lot to prep for the freezer. Like cooking 4 pounds of hamburger at once or shredding chicken. i can just put it in and walk away and do something else. I use it a lot for rice (daily) and potatoes. Stew is a good one here. I used to always end up with scorched stew on the stove. I can cook "fried" rice with chicken at the same time which I do a lot when i need a quick meal. Steamed bao is another hit here.

IMO most of the time savings is exaggerated. The benefit to me is that after I put the ingredients in, I'm done, I can go do something else. I could cook the same thing on the stove but have to sit and stir and pay attention to it.

What size roast did you have that it didn't fit? I always cut mine for the IP but I still prefer the oven.

camperjen 02-26-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 6070057)
IMO most of the time savings is exaggerated.

I have felt this way also. The actual cooking time might be 30 minutes for something, but it takes 15 minutes to get up to temp (especially if it's frozen meat) and then might take another 15 afterward for natural release, so then it's essentially one hour in the pot versus what people might say "cooks in only 30 minutes".

That said, I really like my pot and use it at least once a week. I've yet to get my crockpot out again since I got the pot.