Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Weeds overtaking my garden beds (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529557)

MamaMansa 06-03-2021 03:07 PM

Weeds overtaking my garden beds

Are there any natural and effective products (or methods) for controlling large quantities of weeds in garden beds? We just moved to this house a little over a year ago, so I don’t even know what most species of plants are in my beds, but we tried to dig out and eliminate one bed entirely (to plant grass) and it’s covered in weeds again. Short of buying Round Up, I’m not sure how to get rid of them. We dug them out by the roots, but that apparently wasn’t enough.

heartofjoy 06-03-2021 05:09 PM

Re: Weeds overtaking my garden beds

Probably the easiest and most natural thing to do is find something that is native to the area and that grows and spreads really well and that you think looks better to look at than the weeds. Then hope it takes over.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ThreeKids 06-03-2021 09:00 PM

My dad used to leave enough space between rows that he could go between them with the tiller. After that, he used our hands to pull weeds between plants but we didn't go overboard with that. Tilling is about depriving plants of sun over years. In soils that are worth gardening, the roots of plants that were there before go extremely deep and would be hard to fight.

derdsgirl 06-03-2021 10:12 PM

Cover the area with cardboard for a couple of months until it is bare soil underneath not just dead weeds, but they have decomposed into soil. Then sow whatever you DO want to be there at that time. This allows any dormant weed seeds in the soil a chance to sprout and then they will die once they don't get sunlight. Once all the seeds are expended then the weeds can't come back. It also kills off any rhizomes for the same reason.

Figuring out what the weed is first might give you options for faster removal, but layered cardboard will kill any plant since they cannot survive without sun.

heartofjoy 06-04-2021 06:57 AM

I just realized you may be talking about veggie garden beds not flower garden beds and my suggestion is kind of dumb if that's the case [emoji38]

MamaMansa 06-04-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6252306)
I just realized you may be talking about veggie garden beds not flower garden beds and my suggestion is kind of dumb if that's the case [emoji38]

They are currently flower beds, so your suggestion was a good one! ❤️ I am hoping to turn one area into a vegetable garden, but there are too many weeds this year to even attempt.

passthemanna 06-04-2021 01:12 PM

I like clover for filling bare areas. It looks nice, good for soil, good for bees, doesn't grow tall

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk