Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   spanking babies??? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446729)

Castle On A Cloud 04-19-2012 05:21 PM

spanking babies???

The Pearls *do* advocate this, do they not? Are there any links that actually say this? Someone online is asking, and I can't find anything...but I was sure I had heard that before:scratch

SamRose 04-19-2012 05:22 PM

Re: spanking babies???

I know Ive read they advocate spaking or hitting babies for fighting diaper changes.

saturnfire16 04-19-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamRose (Post 4585654)
I know Ive read they advocate spaking or hitting babies for fighting diaper changes.

I don't have the time or emotional energy to go searching for this right now, but this is where you could start. Search for things about diaper changes and attitudes and being "sweet."

mrsd 04-19-2012 05:29 PM

yes, they do...in one of their books they tell of 'switching' their four month old daughter for crawling too close to the stairs.

Castle On A Cloud 04-19-2012 05:29 PM

Oh dear... searching for that brings up some really questionable stuff... and not about babies. This will be fun:-/

melliethepooh 04-19-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 4585669)
yes, they do...in one of their books they tell of 'switching' their four month old daughter for crawling too close to the stairs.

Iirc it's in the intro or first chapter, should be easy to find.
Posted via Mobile Device

bec28 04-19-2012 06:06 PM

http://whynottrainachild.com/articles/review-by-wendy/

Under the heading "steps to obedience" is a quote from his book.

Llee 04-19-2012 06:07 PM

I posted a link/quotes on the other thread.

Castle On A Cloud 04-19-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:
At four months she was too unknowing to be punished for disobedience.
But she can still be hit with a switch? It’s just semantics.
this part??? Isnt this saying that the book says a 4 month old should not be punished???

WingsOfTheMorning 04-19-2012 07:00 PM

I think they differentiate between training and punishment...I'm not sure what their word is for the latter. Training is still using the switch though.

Sparrow 04-19-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 4585669)

Crawling at 4 months?

Aerynne 04-19-2012 07:09 PM

I saw something at "no greater joy" about potty training from birth and it was talking the difference between that and ec. It was all about how cool it was that your five-month-old could obey you in going on the potty. :sick Now I know why the ec people are so quick to point out we're not potty training infants.

Hermana Linda 04-19-2012 07:57 PM

You will find ammunition here.

Amythestmama 04-19-2012 08:18 PM

Their book says that you should begin spanking as soon as a child shows a temper or disobeys...and that starts as young as 4 months of age.:sick Definately should be spanked by 6 months for wiggling during diaper changes, crying when put down, touching anything you've said 'no' about, crying when you say 'no' etc. One example in the book is spanking a 7mo for what they called 'pitching a fit' - crying himself to sleep while the mother rocked him.:scratch

Hermana Linda 04-19-2012 09:07 PM

The important thing is to distinguish between spanking and training. The Pearls use this kind of doublespeak. They do not advocate spanking babies because they are too young to be punished. They advocate training babies. Now, to the untrained eye, they look exactly the same, striking flesh with a switch. But the important thing is the motive. Also, the consistency. So, once you read his book, he will explain it with his good 'ole boy, down home humor and it will all make sense. :doh Anyway, this is why Pearl followers claim that he doesn't teach spanking babies when he clearly teaches switching them. :doh

SubarbanHippie 04-19-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castle On A Cloud (Post 4585653)
The Pearls *do* advocate this, do they not? Are there any links that actually say this? Someone online is asking, and I can't find anything...but I was sure I had heard that before:scratch

Don't the Pearls also advocate yanking a baby's hair for hurting the mother's nipples during breastfeeding in TTUAC?

Amythestmama 04-19-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsJacks (Post 4586306)
Don't the Pearls also advocate yanking a baby's hair for hurting the mother's nipples during breastfeeding in TTUAC?

Yes. If they baby bites or chops or whatever, you say "NO!" and pull their hair. Its part of the training "no=pain" so they will learn early that 'no' should equal the same jerking back as say touching a hot burner. No equals pain so if you say no, they won't even reach b/c of that fear of pain.
Oh, and if the baby is bald, you should pinch their ear.:dohOf all the ridiculous things.:mad

bec28 04-20-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castle On A Cloud (Post 4585866)
Quote:
At four months she was too unknowing to be punished for disobedience.
But she can still be hit with a switch? It’s just semantics.
this part??? Isnt this saying that the book says a 4 month old should not be punished???

Sorry, I should have explained what the link was too. I posted just as I was going to bed last night :) the link was too a review of the book so it had quotes and then someone's commentary, maybe even a gcm'er? I think Hermana Linda linked to her quotes page early in the thread which is probably better :)

Aerynne 04-20-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermana Linda (Post 4586179)
The important thing is to distinguish between spanking and training. The Pearls use this kind of doublespeak. They do not advocate spanking babies because they are too young to be punished. They advocate training babies. Now, to the untrained eye, they look exactly the same, striking flesh with a switch. But the important thing is the motive. Also, the consistency. So, once you read his book, he will explain it with his good 'ole boy, down home humor and it will all make sense. :doh Anyway, this is why Pearl followers claim that he doesn't teach spanking babies when he clearly teaches switching them. :doh

Yes, because clearly what matters to a 4-month-old is what your motive is, not whether they feel any pain or what actually happens to them. :rolleyes What are kids who are "trained" from 4 months old like? I would think they'd be afraid to blink.

Castle On A Cloud 04-20-2012 10:43 AM

so, you ladies are awesome:heart
since this is a public forum, am I allowed to copy and paste responses or the link to the thread on FB?

Hermana Linda 04-20-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bec28 (Post 4586397)
Sorry, I should have explained what the link was too. I posted just as I was going to bed last night :) the link was too a review of the book so it had quotes and then someone's commentary, maybe even a gcm'er? I think Hermana Linda linked to her quotes page early in the thread which is probably better :)

Yes, she is a GCM'er And that is part of my earliest webpages. :yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castle On A Cloud (Post 4587029)
so, you ladies are awesome:heart
since this is a public forum, am I allowed to copy and paste responses or the link to the thread on FB?

You may not cut and paste, but you may link to the thread. :heart

Zooey 04-24-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermana Linda (Post 4586179)

This was one of the most appalling things I have found about the Pearls, that they are hitting babies, but they say they aren't spanking because they call it something else.:cry:mad:sick:sick:sick

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 4586576)
Yes, because clearly what matters to a 4-month-old is what your motive is, not whether they feel any pain or what actually happens to them. :rolleyes What are kids who are "trained" from 4 months old like? I would think they'd be afraid to blink.

I think they are probably :sick:cryemotionally damaged for life.:sick:cry

Tasmanian Saint 04-25-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

What are kids who are "trained" from 4 months old like?
Here's one example from HLinda's site:
http://whynottrainachild.com/2011/11...arl-parenting/

hey mommy 04-25-2012 08:00 AM

Wow.. Did you know those videos aren't available on youtube if you have safety mode on? Umm, okay. That's disturbing.

Castle On A Cloud 04-25-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hey mommy (Post 4595268)
Wow.. Did you know those videos aren't available on youtube if you have safety mode on? Umm, okay. That's disturbing.

:sick that says alot. what videos are they?

hey mommy 04-25-2012 09:02 AM

The Preparing to be his helpmeet video that Hermana Linda has on her website. The one in the link posted just above us.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint (Post 4594990)
Here's one example from HLinda's site:
http://whynottrainachild.com/2011/11...arl-parenting/

Okay, the video in this link.

SamRose 04-25-2012 09:32 AM

That video is so sad. :( Notice how she says to specify blow instead of spit because that sounds nasty? Kind of like saying train instead of hit. :sh4
Her husband got himself a "well trained" wife if she can use semantics to allow herself to be spat on 1/2 an hour into the marriage in front of a crowd. :sick

Christina+5 04-25-2012 10:46 AM

On the "no greater joy" page, they talk about smacking a six month old on the hand if the child looks like he is going to throw his food on the floor to "Train" him not to do it. But the post really emphasizes the fact that they are not promoting punishment since the child is too young for that. They don't believe in chastizing a baby...just training. :(

nessnco 04-25-2012 11:02 AM

I knew someone who smacked her 6 week old because he rolled off his nappy. :sick (This was when my kids were small so a long time ago). Still haunts me though, have often wondered how long it was till he rolled again.

hey mommy 04-25-2012 05:14 PM

My cousin smacked her 10 month old because he wouldn't bend his knees to sit on her lap. She was trying to get him to take a nap(which he wasn't ready for, she just didn't want us to hold him. It was a control thing), and she kept snapping at him 'bend your knees!" and smacking his legs when he didn't. :( It was horrifying to sit and watch.

LearningMama 04-25-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nessnco (Post 4595602)
I knew someone who smacked her 6 week old because he rolled off his nappy. :sick (This was when my kids were small so a long time ago). Still haunts me though, have often wondered how long it was till he rolled again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hey mommy (Post 4596245)
My cousin smacked her 10 month old because he wouldn't bend his knees to sit on her lap. She was trying to get him to take a nap(which he wasn't ready for, she just didn't want us to hold him. It was a control thing), and she kept snapping at him 'bend your knees!" and smacking his legs when he didn't. :( It was horrifying to sit and watch.

Those were hard to read, I can't imagine witnessing it. :(
This is a little OT but is it ever ok to step in when you see something like that, someone spanking a baby? If so what could you do or say?
I wonder if I should so a spin off.