Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Help me make strawberry jam! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=364944)

Buela 06-25-2010 10:33 AM

Help me make strawberry jam!

So, dd and I went strawberry picking this morning and got 12 L of strawberries! This was a first for me (and lots of fun bending over my burgeoning belly let me tell you) and now I am all psyched to make jam -- only I haven't got a clue.

Do I have to buy any special equipment (I'd really rather not!) other than jars and lids? What do I need to do? I took a peek in my BH & G cookbook and it says I need equipment, a pot with a wire rack in it? I don't have one of those.

I know it is easier to make freezer jam, and I will do that if I have to, but I would rather do the real thing and be able to give it as gifts and store on my shelves rather than the freezer.

Give me detailed instructions please! Teach me!

LeeDee 06-25-2010 10:34 AM

Re: Help me make strawberry jam!

I used to make it in a regular pot. Nothing special.

Now though, I have a bread machine with a jam setting! :rockon I just throw the ingredients in there and it makes delicious jam. Check your bread machine in case it has one. I got mine from a good will store for $3

Amber 06-25-2010 10:49 AM

I used this recipe when I made strawberry jam for the first time last year. I loved that it had step by step pictures for me to follow :shifty

Buela 06-25-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeDee (Post 3165961)
I used to make it in a regular pot. Nothing special.

How did you do this? How did you sterilize/process the jars? Handle the lids?

StumblinMama 06-25-2010 12:09 PM

The old way of doing it required sterilizing the jars and then processing after you put the jam in. The newer way of doing it (which you can see on the package when you buy your jars ;) ) Is that if the jam will process for at least 10 minutes, there's no need to sterilize them as they processing will take care of this.

Now if you're processing the jam for less than 10 minutes you will need to sterilize the jars first. To do this you need to put the jars in a big pot and cover the jars with water 1" above the top of the jars and boil for 10 minutes. Whether you sterilize or not, you should keep them in a warm oven about 225 degrees. That way you don't risk them breaking from the heat of the jam. IIRC you do not sterilize the lids.

Codi 06-25-2010 12:12 PM

:cup

We picked 15lbs yesterday! :mrgreen Im getting stuff today to make jam.

Ive been eying this recipe but also looking for other suggestions.

DoulaClara 06-25-2010 12:20 PM

Make sure to use real granulated cane sugar, NOT beet sugar, if you don't use pectin. It won't gel properly with beet sugar.

Amber 06-25-2010 03:40 PM

To "sterilize" my jars I run them through my dishwasher. I do have a "sterilize" option on it, but I also did it this way with our old dishwasher that didn't have a sterilize cycle.

crunchymum 06-25-2010 04:23 PM

i just use the freezer jam recipe on the sure-gel box. ;) amazingly delicious! i ended up lust using old jars i had. i like it because we go through jam quickly, and you don't cook the fruit much, so it's really fresh tasting. i love it on plain greek yogurt. :yum

Buela 06-25-2010 06:23 PM

ARG! So I went to the store and bought a jar lifter, magnet lid thing, jars, and racks for my pots (rather than spending $$$ on the combo) and my pots are too small :hissyfit for the jars (especially with the rack under it)

I need a bigger pot. I wish my mommy lived closer :(

Codi 06-26-2010 10:02 PM

Awww.... :pout Im sorry!

I bought one of those kits with the jar lifter, magnet lid thing, and funnel but no rack. I think you can do without the rack. :yes :hug

Buela 06-28-2010 01:47 PM

I did it!

I found a large pot in the kitchen at church yesterday and am using that! I used the site you listed Amber -- it is so helpful -- and the recipe on the box of pectin. It only makes 4 jars so I think I will make another batch tonight. I still have strawberries coming out the wazoo!

I feel so domestic!

3PeasInAPod 06-28-2010 02:24 PM

yeah! Good for you!

I always dishwash my jars & lids, & put the lids in a hot bath on the stove top - it might be overkill, but I want to know I've done everything I can to make sure I don't get anyone sick or worse......

Buela 06-28-2010 02:50 PM

yes, I sterilized my jars in the boiling water, I had to heat it for processing anyways so it didn't seem like a big deal. They were nice and hot when the jam when it so they wouldn't break either.