Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   MTHFR questions (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524136)

NovelMama 11-07-2017 06:09 PM

MTHFR questions

DH is homozygous for the c677t mutation. What are some good resources for knowing how to supplement, what to cut from his diet, etc.? OR even better - someone want to just tell me what to do for him? I am overwhelmed doing the research. :(

charla 11-07-2017 07:28 PM

Re: MTHFR questions

I don't have the same MTHFR as your dh, but I have found it very helpful to supplement with methyl b vitamins. This is the brand my doctor wanted me to take and I take 1/2 pill every morning. Taking too much can cause a person to detox too fast. I try to do my best to lighten my load of toxins so I avoid fllouride, vaccines, harsh chemicals, etc. One thing I would like to do is to try some light detox like epsom salt baths or dry brushing. I think one of the things that helps is to not fill up cell receptors with folic acid, which is man-made version of folate. I suppose one would want to avoid food and supplements enriched with folic acid. I haven't quite gotten that far on my journey yet. I have a few pins on my pinterest board, but there are a ton of resources I've found on pinterest that I haven't pinned. The research is overwhelming :hugheart and I have to remind myself to just do baby steps, one thing at a time.

Soliloquy 11-07-2017 08:40 PM

www.mthfr.net is a good place to start. He has a rather long list of things to avoid or add. I'd start with a few.

Here is his protocol for c677t.

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutatio...ol/2012/02/24/

NovelMama 11-08-2017 08:14 AM

I had no idea you had to do a detox too. Thank you! And thanks for that link!

charla 11-08-2017 08:39 AM

I had high liver enzymes because my liver wasn't detoxing because of the MTHFR. My liver enzymes went back to normal, but I still show signs of toxicity. All of my reading on MTHFR seems to point to the most gentlest of detox so that the toxins can actually be released from the body instead of aggressive detox regimens which can release a huge load of toxins in the body at one time which can't be adequately processed. There is a name for that, but I can't remember at moment. :think I'm by far not an expert so maybe someone else will chime in.

Soliloquy 11-08-2017 09:38 AM

Herxheimer Reaction.

Yes, it's wise to take things slowly. Ben Lynch has info about starting supplements slowly. I'd also make dietary changes slowly. Don't cut back on everything at once. :twocents

twentysixcats 11-08-2017 03:27 PM

:cup

Following. I'm also homozygous c677t. That's interesting about the liver enzymes, Charla. Mine have been high too and my PCP didn't know why. I never thought of the mthfr connection.

I take Thorne's Methyl-Guard Plus. My midwife recommended it to me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NovelMama 11-08-2017 04:16 PM

Okay, so start supplementing immediately with the methylated B, you think? And then after a while, start the dietary changes and just do, like, one a month?

PrincessAnika 11-08-2017 05:37 PM

Charla which liver enzymes specifically? Or just overall?
I am homo a1298C and negative for c677T but :popcorn for info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charla 11-08-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAnika (Post 6115099)
Charla which liver enzymes specifically? Or just overall?
I am homo a1298C and negative for c677T but :popcorn for info.

I have 1298C, too, but only one (I can't remember that name either :shifty). I'll go look up my test which specifies which liver enzymes.

Save

PrincessAnika 11-08-2017 07:45 PM

I *think* one copy is heterozygous (sp?) and two is homozygous.....or maybe it's the other way around? :giggle compound is having both, either two of each or one of each....

charla 11-08-2017 07:48 PM

These are the liver enzymes I had tested:

SGOT (AST)
SGPT (ALT)

They were nearly double the highest normal range. I also had a liver ultrasound but it was normal. I don't know what changed the levels except that I prayed that God would heal my liver and I felt a warmth go through my body and then my next liver test was normal. I did nothing to help it, but God. :praise

Soliloquy 11-08-2017 08:01 PM

Milk thistle brings liver enzymes down.

We also take Thorne Methyl Guard Plus.

Fish oil to prevent clotting.

tempus vernum 11-09-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6115125)
Milk thistle brings liver enzymes down.

We also take Thorne Methyl Guard Plus.

Fish oil to prevent clotting.

Does cod liver oil also prevent clotting?

Essiac tea also helps liver enzymes but no clue how MTHRFR affects essiac use

Soliloquy 11-09-2017 12:10 PM

Any fish oil is good. Dh has taken krill, cod, and salmon at various times. (He's prone to life threatening blood clots in major organs because of his bone marrow mutation.) I'm drawing a blank on the name of it :scratch but there's a vegan oil you can take if you're vegetarian or allergic to fish.

Also, that Thorne supplement is expensive. At various times we've had to order a less expensive brand. Jarrow makes a good one. We think Thorne is worth it but sometimes the budget thinks otherwise. Thorne MGP is available on Amazon SnS.

Ginger baths are good.

T-Tapp is good.