Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Grammar for "Morning time"/circle time/together time (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526032)

RealLifeMama 09-07-2018 11:15 AM

Grammar for "Morning time"/circle time/together time

We do mad-libs during circle time, and that is fun, but most of my kids need Grammar instruction, so I am wondering if this is something we can do together. I'd like to try it, but I don't know what to do.
We have not done a lot of formal grammar at all, so I am not sure where to begin in a way that is not going to waste my older kids' time, but that is not going to be skipping too much for my younger ones.

(My 4 yo will just take in what she can, I don't expect her to follow along much.)

My school age kids are 7, 9, 11, 15 and 17. the 7 yo knows nothing beyond noun/verbs, capitalization at beginning and ending punctuation. She can sort of write sentences.

I was thinking of maybe diagramming sentences on a white board and letting the younger ones do the subject/verb stuff and the older ones do the modifiers and such, but I'd love a book like Easy Grammar to just go though. The problem with choosing Easy Grammar is that I don't know what grade to start with. I think really any level of instruction is probably helpful, but I also don't want to completely waste my DD's time as she has a lot on her plate and several things she is supposed to spend 10 minutes on.

Any advice? I have some Easy Grammar grades 3, 5, and 10 and FLL already, but we have not used them. We have a homeschool store that sells stuff on consignment, so I can pick up something else easily. Any suggestions?

ECingMama 09-07-2018 11:54 AM

Re: Grammar for "Morning time"/circle time/together time

I was going to suggest diagramming sentences. :)

Great minds :)

I saw one recommended that uses the Bible. The Amazon reviews aren't great though. Hmmm.

I'm absolutely in love with Spell to Write and Read despite its organizational flaws. It incorporates spelling, grammar, compression, and reading. My 11 year is doing a daily word list of 20 words plus the extra exercises. We'll do this piece until we get to a point where she needs more time with the list. We started on J. She's not missing words, but she's letting me learn the program.

bananacake 09-07-2018 12:09 PM

Easy Grammar has assessments on their site. But I don't know that I'd do it as a group :think We are doing Easy Grammar, but grade-specific.

ViolaMum 09-07-2018 02:27 PM

Grammarland? (By Nesbitt) We read it out loud 3 or 4 years ago and did the exercises orally. Probably isn't enough for your older kids, though. It's available inexpensively on Amazon.

My two older girls do Winston Grammar - one is still on basic, the other started advanced this year. That might work pretty well in a group, now that I think about it. The younger kids can do the easier parts of speech, the older ones the more complicated. It's quite hands-on and uses "Clue Cards" to determine the parts of speech, and kids learn through repetition.

The Sentence Family is wonderfully creative and is written for a class, I think fourth grade? I bought it directly from St Michael's Orthodox school, but Rainbow Resource carries it now. It's organized a little differently from other texts - more whole-to-parts than other programs. It starts with types of sentences and there's a character for each one that you draw. (Mr. Declarative, etc.) The details of each picture define the details of each type of sentence and part of speech. You can even act things out.

OnAMission 09-08-2018 09:17 AM

I second Winston grammar. We just started but I think the clue cards are really great and would lend themselves to group work. The beginner is likely too simple for the older ones, but there are several levels.

knitlove 09-13-2018 06:32 AM

I have only used fll. The first two years of it ateall out loud and would fit well with a morning basket. Wiggle worm loved doing it with early bird when she was 4.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

heartofjoy 09-13-2018 07:58 AM

We do Winston grammar. It will do what you are looking for. You can do a couple of sentences a day.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk