Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   I need GCM so much in my life (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448279)

Amahoro 05-06-2012 05:52 AM

I need GCM so much in my life

I sometimes lose time to read through GCM, because it's just so big and each day there's like 20+ pages of new threads to read. So I leave it alone and only get back once a week or something.

But after a day of being the lone voice advocating gentle practices when it comes to sleep; speaking out against a woman who charges $3600 for sleep training babies 6 months old and over (3 days in your house, no eye contact, no cuddles, no comfort, no interaction whatsoever so they get 'tough loved' into sleep); being told I need to have a 'bad' sleeper so I know what a load of you-know-what my gentle ideas are (not that they have a single clue about how my child's sleep has been lately!); I was just so worn down and feeling like I was the only person with these beliefs on parenting and children.

Coming back to GCM has made me feel normal once more. People understand my perspective and feel the same way. People can see the risks of sleep training like that and don't think it's 'the latest way to make mums feel guilty', etc etc.

I just needed to be back here with my 'tribe'; where I'm the normal one again. I've felt so alone and like a 'freak' all day.

Thank you for all you do here, ladies - it gives me a chance to recharge into the parent I want to be and get the support I need.

:grouphug

MercyInDisguise 05-06-2012 06:42 AM

Re: I need GCM so much in my life

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amahoro (Post 4614518)
speaking out against a woman who charges $3600 for sleep training babies 6 months old and over (3 days in your house, no eye contact, no cuddles, no comfort, no interaction whatsoever so they get 'tough loved' into sleep)

:hunh I could get 9 months of prenatal care and a midwife-assisted birth at our local birthing center (complete with prenatal and postnatal massages) and postpartum homecare for that cost! And... how do you pay that much money to have someone come to your house to do what millions of parents do all the time?! (I am DEFINITELY not advocating it, but if you're going to sleep train your baby, why break the bank to do it?!) Sorry I got caught up in that part of your post, I am just :jawdrop at the whole thing!

ITU what you said about needing GCM in your life. :hug I am definitely a better wife and mother since I found GCM.

Vicki_T 05-06-2012 09:42 AM

:hug. I agree - this is such a helpful place to be :gcm

WildFlower 05-06-2012 09:49 AM

I was just going to post a thread asking for encouragement. I have been feeling so discouraged lately and like I just don't "fit in" with ANYone in real life. It is just so hard. I think part of it is my DD's age and I am getting to the point where I am just DONE night nursing but she's so not ready to be done. I can see SO many ways in which I parent differently and begin to feel weird about it and guilty like I need to defend why I am doing things this way. It makes it worse that I am a major introvert and have always felt like I didn't fit in, so parenting differently doesnt' help that any. The only place I feel like I belong is GCM. I really wish I could find find a big sister best friend GCM kind of person in-real life that I could talk to sometimes.

Mommainrwanda 05-06-2012 11:37 AM

:hug It's nice to have a place where you don't have to worry about being attacked. :yes As a bonus, when you hang out here you know you're going to learn new cool things. :tu

Stiina 05-06-2012 12:06 PM

:heart

lalaithnil 05-06-2012 12:25 PM

I feel the same way. :hug I'm SUCH a weirdo IRL and in my FOO. There's just no one like me around, except DH. It's hard. I wish GCM was the town we all lived in.

jujubnme 05-06-2012 12:51 PM

:hug Glad you're back. I just yesterday saw a reply of yours in an older thread and thought to myself that I hadn't seen you around lately.

LilacPhoenix 05-06-2012 01:45 PM

:hugheart I feel much the same...

frostymm 05-06-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildFlower (Post 4614743)
I can see SO many ways in which I parent differently and begin to feel weird about it and guilty like I need to defend why I am doing things this way. It makes it worse that I am a major introvert and have always felt like I didn't fit in, so parenting differently doesnt' help that any. The only place I feel like I belong is GCM. I really wish I could find find a big sister best friend GCM kind of person in-real life that I could talk to sometimes.

You have taken the words out of my mouth!! I am so glad to have found a GCM, a place where other Christian mums "get" the way I parent

JenniferJuniper 05-09-2012 08:49 AM

I find this place a refuge from so many discouraging people and child-trainers.
Like you, I really appreciate this place as well!

Peace,
-Jenny