Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) ) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=447759)

shekinah 02-06-2013 10:41 PM

Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

I also throw in a handful of baby carrots, a couple chunks of celery, an onion chopped into quarters, and some garlic cloves. I strain them out at the end. I think it helps add a bit of flavour plus what you put in for the soup later.

HadassahSukkot 02-07-2013 03:28 AM

When I make bone broth, we use the bones we have, Celery root, Celery, a couple unpeeled carrots, some plant based or apple cider vinegar (gotta use up the plant one first), salt, pepper, onion, garlic, pepper slices (red/yellow/green) and sometimes something else if I have it hanging around. I let the vegs go about 24 hours and take those out, and let the bones go for another day or two in the crockpot, depending.

Stiina 02-07-2013 12:01 PM

I've asked this before in the broth thread, but Lisa you made me want to ask again. What kind of bones are you using that you can crumble? I made perpetual broth for ELEVEN DAYS and the bones were still super-hard. I got maybe 6-7 tablespoons of marrow that I was able to scrape out of the centre, but other than that there was no crumbling happening. These are bones from our grassfed cattle. I'm not sure exactly which bones they are because the butcher just puts them all in a gigantic bag for us.

marigold 02-07-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 5129152)
Ok. So let's talk about your soup making process. Here is how I make bone broth .

1. Roast bones in oven for 40ish minutes (very important but not skip this step because it has a big taste impact)
2. Put roasted bones in crock pot and fill with water. Add 2 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar. Maybe salt and pepper.
3. Cook on low for 24 hours, adding more water as needed
4. When finished cooking, strain and put in fridge overnight. Fat will solidify on the top.
5. Use a spoon to take off the hardened fat. Discard or save to use in cooking .
6. Put broth into containers to freeze or use.

My broth is flavorful and rich but not overly fatty. I also get marrow bones that I prepare in the same way as above but it makes a jelly like consistency. I freeze the narrow in ice cube trays and add one or two to a lot of soup for extra richness and nutrition.

Sent from my Android phone using Swift Key Flow

Ahh, I have never done this. What temperature do you roast them at? Should i roast the bones before I boil them again?

Stiina 02-07-2013 04:06 PM

I always make my broth plain (with acv, but no veg or spices) because then our smoothies, popsicles, and my boys' porridge won't taste like garlic. :giggle

Katigre 02-07-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marigold (Post 5130735)
Ahh, I have never done this. What temperature do you roast them at? Should i roast the bones before I boil them again?

I just did it at 350 IIRC. I dont know how it works to roast already-boiled bones. But its at least worth trying. Chalk it up to a learning experience :hug.

shekinah 02-07-2013 04:24 PM

Ya, might as well try. I don't think roasting would hurt them. I also smear tomato paste on my bones for roasting, so that ends up in the broth too.

Wouldn't want it in smoothies though. :giggle I'll have to try making some plain for that! Good idea.

Soliloquy 02-09-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 5130436)
I've asked this before in the broth thread, but Lisa you made me want to ask again. What kind of bones are you using that you can crumble? I made perpetual broth for ELEVEN DAYS and the bones were still super-hard. I got maybe 6-7 tablespoons of marrow that I was able to scrape out of the centre, but other than that there was no crumbling happening. These are bones from our grassfed cattle. I'm not sure exactly which bones they are because the butcher just puts them all in a gigantic bag for us.

Perpetual broth in the crock pot? You would probably need to simmer beef bones for weeks to get them to crumble. I do stove top. I don't typically cook beef bones until they crumble, only occasionally. I do with chicken bones, though, as it only takes 2-4 days. The acv helps soften them, so don't skip it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Luciola 02-09-2013 02:28 PM

:cup so I can go back and read this thread

Stiina 02-09-2013 07:48 PM

My crock pot runs quite hot and the broth is boiling the whole time. Not a rapid boil, though. Is that how you do it on the stove top?