Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) ) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=447759)

crunchymum 04-30-2012 05:43 PM

D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Spun off of the discussion of the difference between paleo and primal, I thought it would be nice to have a thread to process lots of different "diets" (as in, way of eating, not weight loss diet), be it paleo, primal, traditonal foods, GAPS, whatever. :mrgreen I find it so helpful to process through stuff and get feedback and wisdom from others who are also moving towards a healthier way of eating/feeding their families. :heart

3boysforme 04-30-2012 05:51 PM

Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

:popcorn

oh wait, not :popcorn.

:cup <---- I can still have that. :)

crunchymum 04-30-2012 05:52 PM

:haha

jujubnme 04-30-2012 05:52 PM

:cup We're getting stricter tomorrow about sweeteners, dairy and cheats, so... looking forward to some fellow journeyers. :shifty I'm expecting some initial craving and hunger. I haven't really had time to do a lot of meal planning in advance so hopefully I can just jump right in. We already do a mostly primal diet, so it won't be a complete revamp.

crunchymum 04-30-2012 06:00 PM

Tonight we made our first eat like a dinosaur meal... OH my yum!!! :yum we did rat on a stick, only we didn't have sticks, so they ended up just being little sliders. :giggle here's a pic!

I dipped mine in red curry sauce. Hoo yummy. The kids devoured everything. :giggle honestly, if there was twice as much food, they would have eaten twice as much. Which is why I'm giving up on the idea of lunch being leftovers. :lo

Then we had greens with bacon, and a brocolli slaw with dressing. l

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Oh, and here's the link to the other thread, there's so much good info there!

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=445631

3boysforme 04-30-2012 06:03 PM

That looks good!

I saw your Turkish Chopped Salad on Pinterest. I need to pin it so I remember to make it.

The hardest part is my kids. And being on the go a lot. My kids spent so much time eating heavily processed food (and really still do with daycare and school). I am in the process of sloooooowly weaning them off.

The hardest thing for me is breakfast.

jujubnme 04-30-2012 06:04 PM

I might have mentioned in another thread that ds is working his way through cooking a meal a week from ELAD. Tomorrow he's on for pork roast with sauteed apples (I forget the cookbook name of the recipe). :tu

My challenge is going to be making breakfasts and healthy to-go lunches. I have ingredients to do some kind of egg muffin tomorrow morning, if I wake up early enough...

Mother of Sons 04-30-2012 06:04 PM

That looks yummy! I love food pics.

crunchymum 04-30-2012 06:10 PM

Yeah... Cereal is SO easy! :( I'm going to miss just making myself coffee and letting them pour their own cereal. :shifty I'm hoping to figure out some premade stuff to be heated up or something. :think this morning we had green smoothie and an egg. I was going to do eggs in a nest, but what with the bacon and ground beef tonight, I may go easy on the meat in the morning. Maybe I'll just do a frittata. :think

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 4605094)
That looks yummy! I love food pics.

I love to see pics of what people are eating! :yes my sisters and I sometimes do a "what's on your plate" photo text thing, but they always catch me when I'm eating like, a tootsie roll and a Klondike bar for lunch. :rolleyes

Dovenoir 04-30-2012 06:26 PM

This year is about introducing ferments and whole foods and removing processing, added sugar and probably soy from our diets.

BarefootBetsy 04-30-2012 06:26 PM

:cup

We're trying to eat more TF/Paleo/Primal. Whole foods without too many grains - even though I know the reasons behind it, I'm uncomfortable with severely restricting any whole foods :blush

I also, um, prefer cooking vegetarian meals. Like, a lot. Cooking meat is just so greasy and messy and you can't taste it until it's cooked completely! Makes me crazy. I know part of it is that we were vegetarian when I was first learning how to cook with whole foods :sigh So I need tips about getting more comfortable with cooking meat.

sweetpeasmommy 04-30-2012 06:34 PM

I am here. Carry on. :lol

musicmama 04-30-2012 06:50 PM

pork with squishy squashy apples! it's delicious!

My kids LOVE rat on a stick :tu

Allison 04-30-2012 06:51 PM

We're doing traditional foods and I hope to do gaps eventually.

Tonight was potato soup.

Happygrl 04-30-2012 07:01 PM

I'm here. We aren't on any kind of diet but I'm working slowly to add in more whole foods, less processed (we're already pretty lean on it with the exception of things like condiments)...and more veggies. The veggies is the hardest part for me. I like so few and it literally scares me to try new ones. But I know, know, know I need to do more veggies. But, seriously, my stomach is all cranky just thinking about having to try them. :(

joysworld 04-30-2012 07:10 PM

Breakfast was the hardest for us as well. Especially since I was a cereal addict. I use to always carry cereal around with me no matter where I went. And it was for me, not the kids. It was a hard hard HARD change. We did it overnight, because if I just gradually took things away and added new things, we would have never stuck to it. It really seems unreal that we've been eating this way (GAPS) for eleven months!! And it's so surreal to see my kids walking around the house eating carrots, cucumbers, or bell peppers.

I've learned, that I cannot ever ever cheat. If I do, my whole life goes crazy. And I can't stop myself from eating crap. It's usually m&m's, coke, and Popeye's:( And when I allow myself to eat those things, I'm moody, can't focus, irresponsible, etc. It's just awful. So no cheats for me. Which is best, but sucks at times.

We still don't really have 'breakfast' foods. It's usually hamburgers, roast, or chicken soup. Although, I have started making smoothies on occasion.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happygrl (Post 4605203)
I'm here. We aren't on any kind of diet but I'm working slowly to add in more whole foods, less processed (we're already pretty lean on it with the exception of things like condiments)...and more veggies. The veggies is the hardest part for me. I like so few and it literally scares me to try new ones. But I know, know, know I need to do more veggies. But, seriously, my stomach is all cranky just thinking about having to try them. :(

I don't like veggies either. I have texture issues. I added them to my diet by pureeing them, and putting them in soups. After doing that for about 9 months, I was able to just dice the veggies to put in the soup. Still haven't managed to eat just plain veggies, except carrots, like the kids do though.

tempus vernum 04-30-2012 07:29 PM

I HAVE to buy eat like a dinosaur :rockon

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And I am totally serving broccoli slaw for dinner tomorrow :yum Looked amazing :yum

Happygrl 04-30-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joysworld (Post 4605208)
I don't like veggies either. I have texture issues. I added them to my diet by pureeing them, and putting them in soups. After doing that for about 9 months, I was able to just dice the veggies to put in the soup. Still haven't managed to eat just plain veggies, except carrots, like the kids do though.

Texture issues here, too. When I decided to start liking onions, I started with onion powder and then slowly moved up to finely, finely chopped and so on and now I eat them raw on salads, burgers, etc. So I need to figure out ways to do that with some other veggies. Lettuce, celery, carrots, potatoes & onions are about all I eat now. I'd love to like tomatoes, green beans & sweet potatoes, at a minimum. I'll eat crushed tomatoes in sauce & salsa...but I can't get past the texture of larger pieces. Green beans...I hate the inner part. If it was just the outer, I could do it pretty easily, I think.

Mamaka 04-30-2012 07:54 PM

Here's my Primal-Paleo Pinterest. I'd love to link w/others. :)

3boysforme 04-30-2012 08:03 PM

Mine has some non Paelo/Primal recipes on it, but here it is.

jujubnme 04-30-2012 08:34 PM

My Pinterest boards aren't very large, but here they are:

http://pinterest.com/andreabak/recipes-to-try/

http://pinterest.com/andreabak/recip...ied-and-liked/

crunchymum 04-30-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 4605246)
I HAVE to buy eat like a dinosaur :rockon

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And I am totally serving broccoli slaw for dinner tomorrow :yum Looked amazing :yum

It was good! I cheated and just got a bag from tj's. ;)

Here's mine: http://pinterest.com/ladyjenevive/pr...nd-paleo-eats/

LilacPhoenix 04-30-2012 09:44 PM

:cup BBL:)

staceylayne 04-30-2012 11:02 PM

DH and I have discussed doing the Whole 30 challenge. I need the sugar detox. I have a feeling DH is sensitive to something (my guess is dairy) dietary that makes him feel yucky and causes skin problems.

Buuuuuut, we haven't done it. :bag

I'm not exactly an adventurous eater...and although I've gotten better, I don't love veggies. And I don't know what to do with the kids. They are pretty good eaters compared to most kids we know their ages, but if I took away bread and beans and cheese...well, we'd be in real trouble. And I don't feel up for the fight.

So, really, I'm here to listen in and get some inspiration to get my rear in gear. I don't anticipate going whole-hog paleo or primal long-term. But I think it would be ideal to move further in that direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happygrl (Post 4605203)

This is pretty much me. :yes And add in the fact that I'm NOT a morning person and I don't really like eggs and my kids want to eat *immediately* upon waking. :doh

HadassahSukkot 05-01-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy (Post 4605142)
... Whole foods without too many grains - even though I know the reasons behind it, I'm uncomfortable with severely restricting any whole foods :blush

Same here.

We're grilling today, and I am unsure if our bbq sauce is gaps friendly, but everything else we are having (except the bread) IS.

I'm taking our Kombucha... I won't say anything and we'll see if my inlaws like our new tea. :giggle Unless DH spoils it for me... :O

I made a stupid mistake yesterday while having a sugar low. I gave TB Mounds. It was one of those "make 'em shut up already!" moments, and I didn't think twice that "That has milk in it..." I was thinking more, make them happy so they stop squabbling about everything and whining because they're hungry and our meal at the Chinese place is going to take an additional 20 minutes.:doh

"He threw up last night", said DH. "But it isn't because he had milk"... funny how he always has excess mucus and throws up when he has milk though.. :shrug3

DH has been cheating on weekends, but that's because I just do not have enough energy to keep on top of him.

I am allowing fruits. We're doing smoothies to help with our immune system + cut down on how much excess DH eats.

3boysforme 05-01-2012 04:26 AM

Has anyone made their own coconut and almond flour? Is it very difficult? I am looking online and it seems easy. :think

If I could make my own that would certainly help with expense, and gas too because the only place that sells it local is WF and they are a good 40 miles away.

Allison 05-01-2012 04:35 AM

Pinterest

My Traditional Foods Board

My dh was eating out with the boys once or twice per week and sometimes was eating breakfast out by himself just a month ago.

I showed them all the "pink slime" to get them away from Burger King/McDonald's. That was a huge accomplishment. But, now dh just pays more for fast food. :doh Now, we eat out at Chic-fil-a and Zaxby's and a local chicken place.

We had a blow up yesterday when I told him that we need not kid ourselves that this slightly more expensive food is good for our bodies. I said that sometimes we get caught unprepared (we travel nearly every weekend for sports) and we have to eat Subway, or chicken, etc, but we shouldn't think that this food is nourishing and won't cause us problems in the long run. It needs to be in our 5-20% of unhealthy stuff.

He just doesn't get that. He thinks eating out once per week is fine. I don't.

I think occasional treats are fine. Eating out once per week is NOT occasional. :no

Oh, and I struggle with perfectionism. :shifty I do NOT want to be the food police, but dh's standards are too lax for me. (Doesn't help that he has not done any research for himself. Im convinced he doesn't truly get it.)

tempus vernum 05-01-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysforme (Post 4605616)
Has anyone made their own coconut and almond flour? Is it very difficult? I am looking online and it seems easy. :think

If I could make my own that would certainly help with expense, and gas too because the only place that sells it local is WF and they are a good 40 miles away.

I find almond flour too difficult
**too long and it turns into almond BUTTER
**too short and it has big chunks in it.

I buy almond meal :shrug3 Either through country life or woodmans

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum (Post 4605436)
It was good! I cheated and just got a bag from tj's. ;)

LOL I do not consider broccoli slaw in a bag cheating :no :giggle I buy mine in a bag. Honestly, I tried making it and everyone turned their nose up at it :snooty but if I buy it in a bag, especially ds devours it :)

I bought ELAD - my kids are so excited. Looking at primal blueprint next :rockon I am loving the primal cookbooks posted to GCM :heart So many ideas :)

mommychem 05-01-2012 07:15 AM

subbing
:cup <----- bone broth :lol

LilacPhoenix 05-01-2012 08:12 AM

I'm not cutting out any food completely (other than corn for the boys and gluten, which I know we have issues with). We've been moving toward lower carb because we all feel better that way. I may do a dairy-free trial at some point but not planning on it anytime soon. Especially since we changed some of our supplements a month ago and I want to know what changes are from the supplements vs dietary changes.

The boys have been eating a TON of food since we stopped eating gluten two months ago. I'm hoping it eases for a few years before they are teens or we'll be in trouble:shifty

We can't afford "good" meat but I buy from a better quality grocery store. The quality difference of the meat is noticeable:yes

I don't buy pork:no We eat very little shellfish (but enjoyed a crawfish boil recently:tu).

I do still buy some processed foods. Mostly canned chicken for quick meals, frozen potatoes (ditto, plus the quality of the potatoes around here stinks!), and instant grits for DH (he works weird hours).

Katigre 05-01-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

I bought ELAD - my kids are so excited. Looking at primal blueprint next :rockon I am loving the primal cookbooks posted to GCM :heart So many ideas :)

I have to admit that the sugar in the cookbooks bother me :O I think sugar is WAY worse than grains :hiding BUT that said, I am not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater ;)
It's pretty easy to avoid the sugar - it's not in many recipes at all (and even then it's mostly honey which you can reduce/cut out). For a lot of the desserts in the back of ELAD it's pretty clear are their family's way out of the SAD even when they have a treat once in awhile. Honestly, from reading the book and viewing their favorite recipes you can see what flavors/foods they were used to before revamping their diet. If your family is used to lower sugar then it won't be an issue :yes.

HadassahSukkot 05-01-2012 08:38 AM

Well, we did well for the cookout. I didn't buckle and eat any potatoes, and neither did DH. We enjoyed our meal, and I drank a good bit of Kefir. Haven't had any of the Kombucha though, and the inlaws didn't try it. FIL tried a sip of the kefir but preferred not to drink it. DH complained about his, the kids kept drinking the kefir like it was better that store bought juice, though at the end of the meal asked for soda. (You win some, you lose some.) We watered it down for them.

Soliloquy 05-01-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy (Post 4605142)
:cup

We're trying to eat more TF/Paleo/Primal. Whole foods without too many grains - even though I know the reasons behind it, I'm uncomfortable with severely restricting any whole foods :blush

I also, um, prefer cooking vegetarian meals. Like, a lot. Cooking meat is just so greasy and messy and you can't taste it until it's cooked completely! Makes me crazy. I know part of it is that we were vegetarian when I was first learning how to cook with whole foods :sigh So I need tips about getting more comfortable with cooking meat.

If you're cooking with beef you can taste it, we eat raw beef and raw beef liver semi-regularly.

For poultry, if it's in a sauce, I taste the sauce while cooking, have for 15 years.

Oh, and I thaw meat at room temp, too, drink raw milk, and all kinds of other deadly things. :p

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

crunchymum 05-01-2012 09:01 AM

Is there a good online source for almond flour? What's a reasonable price?

Today I had some Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast, and then we made mini egg cups with spinach, green onion, mushroom, red pepper, and just one peice of bacon split between 12 cups.

Yum. :yum

I think we'll do tuna lettuce wraps for lunch, and spring "pasta" for dinner: http://paleomg.com/spring-pasta/

I am concerned that we won't get enough veggies in in general, with the increase of meat I'm worried about possible getting clogged up. :shifty any tips?

Katigre 05-01-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum (Post 4606085)
Is there a good online source for almond flour? What's a reasonable price?

Honeyville is the oft-recommended almond flour brand, though Trader Joe's almond meal works great for us as flour (I've used it in both cookies and pancakes - the cookies aren't really cookies, they're just almond flour/coconut oil/pureed banana and apple baked together - no added sugar or anything! We put nuts and sliced figs on top :yes).

Quote:

I am concerned that we won't get enough veggies in in general, with the increase of meat I'm worried about possible getting clogged up. :shifty any tips?
I have found we are eating far more vegetables (especially leafy greens) than before. I just don't make recipes that are straight meat unless there's a salad/veggie side dish attached. Otherwise I prefer to cook 'all in one' meat+lots of veg dishes and then have an additional veggie side which helps in getting more.

Ex. Sausage/cabbage/apple saute - this is from the 6 oclock scramble and is paleo and SOoooooooo good. Frittatta with mushrooms/swiss chard/onions/parsley, shepherds pie with extra veggies, soup with meat and veggies in it, etc... Primal Cookbook has a LOT Of recipes like this.

crunchymum 05-01-2012 09:09 AM

I also think I need to do a dessert of some kind tonight... To motivate everyone to stick with it. :giggle any ideas? I have coconut flour but not almond flour. I did just get a lot of fruit, I have some dark chocolate, xylitol, honey. :think I'd love to do those frosting shots, but I don't have canned coconut milk. :think

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Thanks! I couldn't find the almond meal at tj's the other day... :think

Katigre 05-01-2012 09:10 AM

The other way to stay regular is green smoothies, especially if you add kefir (you can use coconut kefir instead of yogurt kefir if you are dairy-free). That helps keep DD regular and we all love them :yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum (Post 4606098)
I also think I need to do a dessert of some kind tonight... To motivate everyone to stick with it. :giggle any ideas? I have coconut flour but not almond flour. I did just get a lot of fruit, I have some dark chocolate, xylitol, honey. :think I'd love to do those frosting shots, but I don't have canned coconut milk. :think

I would do fondue with fruit dipped in melted chocolate. FWIW, I would *not* use xylitol as a regular sweetener. That would be getting a lot more per day than our bodies can handle. Kids should have 6ish grams a day (that's 1 1/2 tsp) and adults no more than 10g. You get no additional benefit for teeth once you're beyond the 6-8 grams point (toddlers seem like 4-6g is where they get the benefit). I'd use honey instead. Xylitol is still a processed food product, far more than honey, so I'd take it for therapeutic reasons (dental health - killing off bad bacteria in the mouth) vs. replacement of sugar (I am VERY against any replacement sugar substitutes though so that's my own personal bias :giggle).

crunchymum 05-01-2012 09:12 AM

Good advice. :yes

Fondue? Just melt the chocolate, or should I add something?

Katigre 05-01-2012 09:17 AM

What kind of chocolate is it? Unsweetened, semisweet, etc...? We do 85%-90% bars of chocolate over here so I'd just melt that and not add additional flavoring unless asked (I might use some milk in it to thin it so it's not too gloppy). If you're using unsweetened then a little honey might be good. You could try adding cinnamon. If it's below 85% chocolate no added sugar is needed as it's already pretty sweet.

sweetpeasmommy 05-01-2012 10:09 AM

We had bacon and lactofermented lemon gelatin for breakfast. :giggle

Quick and easy desserts.
Nourished and Nurtured: Blueberry Banana Muffins (GAPS-legal, grain- and gluten-free)
Two Holiday Recipes: Chocolate Peppermint and Coconut Citrus Fudge | OUR NOURISHING ROOTS

I am going to write a book someday for the lazy people on GAPS. ;) It helps that C doesn't tolerate eggs and neither of us tolerate nuts so I just don't bake. :giggle We also don't mind eating very simply and find variety way overrated compared to doing other more fun things.