View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
charlamara

Default Re: Teacher's aid here needing some help :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
You are doing a great job. I just want to reiterate that.

Her behaviors sound like my son's behaviors when he's not meticulously managed - for us that means a LOT of sleep (he has to be drugged to sleep as much as he needs and it requires a specific routine), no dyes not in food, soap, or art supplies (he cannot touch crayons for example), and other dietary restrictions, and he is also on stimulant medication.

So I am just offering that to say that these behaviors don't always stem from abuse/neglect. I have no idea why other than food/dye sensitivities and ADHD, but dh and I both had that moment when we were sitting in foster parent training listening to the description of the abused/neglected child and then panicking that we had done something horrible to our own child

Have you talked to the parents? Are they helpful at all? I agree that it sounds like the teacher is a big problem. Can that be reported to someone?
Thank you for giving me those suggestions. If she were my child, I would try out all of these environmental things. I know that sleep helps a ton when we can get her to rest.

Her parents are extremely uncooperative and mean people. I met them once when they picked girlie up for an appointment and we had loaned her a Halloween costume. Mom abruptly wanted to know what the heck she was wearing (I answered for her). They do not show up to her IEP meetings or answer phone calls/texts. She is often brought to school filthy in PJs or clothes not appropriate for the weather. She sings and dances provocatively as if she watches MTV all day at home. Her backpack is hardly ever emptied (even clothes from accidents were left in there for days). We're pretty sure she only eats at school. She comes starving and, until I had her, would run to the share cart multiple times at lunch.

Aside from these natural signs, girlie has told us enough stories from home to fill a small notebook. We've been reporting things, but it takes time...

I am going to talk to the SPED teachers and recommend some good first grade teachers. I don't think it will be possible to have girlie moved at this point in the year, although if I were her mother, I would push for that. I am hoping that if I give some suggestions, they will pull for her to be in a different environment next year. Girlie's teacher has been observed when there was a child in the safe place (she had been in there for 10 minutes at that time), and she called the girl over to sit back down with the group. She's been there for seven years and is the only Kindergarten teacher with an ESL cert so I don't think she's going anywhere. I also really happen to like her as a person. I think she just needs more personal development. I'm trying to get Dr. Purvis to come.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.11004 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,936KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below