View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need help w new to us house -- protective items, repairs, cleaning (very random)

We just got an offer accepted on a home. As I realize things I will post them. BUT I am hoping for tried, true and of course frugal ways to protect our investment. Truth be told, the house is in great shape and I'm nervous about a few things I'm bolding the "i need product ideas or advice" spots and filling in explanations with unbolded LOL

New to us house has a newly remodeled kitchen because Since we remodeled our kitchen I've been on edge to not ruin it because our kitchen was a train wreck for over a decade I got lazy.

I need product ideas and cleaning tips -

1. good trivets to prevent burns of pots and pans for countertops -- we cook a LOT and sometimes use counters to serve/cool/etc.
2. good cutting boards that don't slip and wash preferably in the dishwasher
3. shelf liner thoughts/ideas/preferences. I'd like easily cleanable and good protection for cheap
4. other tips/cleaning ideas to keep the kitchen really good shape? We cook a lot - we don't do convenience foods often and don't eat out.

Carpets. The entire house is carpeted except kitchen and bathrooms. We currently have about 20% of our home carpeted and We have allergies. We will likely slowly change this starting with the bedrooms but not right away. I am looking into cleaning them and found this link -- it's a local company https://blissfulchemdry.com Would love opinions on that
Other tips for carpets. We went to mostly hard wood/laminate at our current home due to allergies.

Duct work - this one has me very very confused. We have never had ducts. We have baseboard heating and window a/c. We are moving to duct work and central which I love and I also don't love cuz allergies.

Those with allergies, do you or do you not clean ducts? There are two very distinct lines of thought - some people say unless you have a reaction to your house, don't touch the ducts because it stirs things up and the way the dust and allergens settle, there isn't a lot of circulation to drive into house. They say that a good filter is important and skip the duct cleaning - thoughts? . Others say that duct cleaning is absolutely necessary. I had no visible reaction to the house (unlike the reactions I had to other houses - one I wheezed and had to leave). That usually is my first tests. Some houses I fled and said no before even looking around .

Other shelf liners/drawer liners for bathroom, built in storage - what do you use

Fireplace we will have a natural fireplace that can convert to gas. I'm aware with my asthma we may need to covert quickly. All I know is that we need to hire someone to inspect, maintain (what is a damper and how do i use it?) and teach us how to use it. We have the kind that can help heat the house if we want it to. So. . .what do I need to know and do? We were going to hire a fireplace expert to come in and tell us but I also have no clue how much we pay for that. and what to look for

walls - how do you clean painted drywall? we are not painting anything before we move but the basement living area. We will paint the 3 bedrooms quickly as possible after we've moved and then a little at a time the next year. They didn't smoke so I'm unconcerned about that but I'm pretty sure I'm not comfy using my steam cleaner on drywall. Here I just use a damp SH-mop and lightly go over it but we've painted the entire house the past 5 years and we are used to our own smell lolol

What do you do when you move to every house? I haven't moved in 19 years.

My todo list
1. rekey locks
2. reprogram garage door openers
3. change toilet seats and install bidets
4. clean everything
5 check water meter for leaks
6. shelf liners everywhere

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Oh also need help with organizing a pantry. Found this but not sure what is best for us https://decoratedlife.com/how-to-org...o...%20More%20

So I just want pantry ideas - what are your favorite organizing tips for a pantry? It's L shaped and walk in. with wood shelving along the walls

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 09-05-2020 at 08:21 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05533 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,980KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo