View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OH my I think we might become unschoolers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We unschooled for the early years and had our eldest start traditional homeschooling for high school. With a transition year for 8th grade. So, we did the opposite.

I think it can go really, really well. It just depends on a lot of factors. Keep in mind that traditional schooling, even for kids who go to a good school, not necessarily homeschool, can go very badly. It's not a proven method by any means. I used to teach public school and saw so many kids who were failed by the system--not the teachers, necessarily, or their parents, but just that the system of education did not help them.

It's out of print but if you can get your hands on a copy of "Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves" by Alison McKee it's a great read. She unschooled her 2 kid and the book is kind of like her memoirs of those years. They both went off to college. The book isn't all roses, she is very honest about some of their struggles and how they handled them. It's very encouraging that you CAN find a way that works for your family.
I'll look into that books as I could use all the guidance, in many ways I think she would do "best" in a more traditional school setting but lately her anxiety has gotten so bad it is crippling her.. Its not the work though its the constant feeling of judgement.. (in her mind) she loves exploring, learning things, figuring out different layers of things etc.. However the idea that if she is told (based on the more traditional approach to her current schooling program)
1) listen to this 6 minute "lecture" on the feeding habits Cats
2) answer these 5 questions on the feeding habits of Cats to see if you grasped the concept...
sends her into a panic

Suddenly a 6 minute "lecture" for her turns into a 197minute long panic a good hour of her being scared to start the lesson because of all the what ifs in her head.. Then her pausing the video every 12 seconds because she over thinks what she should write down as notes..
then panic sets in answering even the most basic questions what if I get it wrong what does that mean, if I get 100% does that really mean I know the material maybe its all dumbed down and everyone is secretly laughing at me...

However she will also be the one that says.. either on her own hey I want to learn about the feeding habits of domestic house cats .. or because I happen to say hey C can you tell be something about the feeding habits of domestic cats... and then suddenly she off to the internet reading, discussing then off the the library exploring more, making appointments with petsmart and the humane society.. on Cat chat rooms debating the issue.. Planning trips to Japanese Cat islands planning to spend the spring of 2021 observing..

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04846 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,973KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below