View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #22
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for those who have kids with mild food sensitivities

This sounds very difficult, and I will admit that I have 100% buy-in, agreement, compliance, and even appreciation from my kids. Kitten has severe allergies, and Monkey was born into an allergy-free home. Monkey has shown reactions herself, but not anaphylaxis like Kitten. Neither kid has tasted gluten.

We also talk *a lot* about nutrition and our gut heath in our home.

So, from my perspective, with the reading and research that I have done. With our experiences - I would not allow the food allergens at all.

What she has going on is a carb addiction and she has what my doctor refers to as "critters" in her gut that are controlling her brain. She is in a vicious circle. It is partly, if not fully, why she is so picky and why she is so argumentative about it. It is *extremely* difficult to fight what those "critters" do in our brains.

The problem with gluten, even a so-called "mild" reaction is that it's not just going to be a GI reaction (plus chicken skin.) It's also neurological, and that can't always be felt. I personally don't think it even matters to get a diagnosis of Celiac - though to some people, having that label makes it "click" for them that they need to not eat gluten.

It is my hypothesis (gathered from studying, and being in various online groups for food allergies, and our personal experience) that your daughter would eat a higher variety of foods, be less picky, and be less argumentative if her gut was healed. In other words, when you argue with your daughter, chances are that you are not arguing with *her,* who *she* is, but what the gluten/allergens are doing to her (and her brain.) An analogy would be arguing with a drunk person. You would be arguing with the alcohol, not the real person.

At our house, we eat GAPS. When we did this, I knew it was going to be very hard on them. So I told them that even though I have no food reactions at all, that I would do GAPS with them in solidarity. And I do. It is *hard.* But as with most things, it gets easier in time. But this does help. All meals prepared in the house are GAPS meals. DH only eats non GAPS foods outside of the house. (We all love the GAPS food - it's very good!)

I watched my very picky Monkey really open up, and she now eagerly eats and enjoys the GAPS food that I prepare. I even feel stronger and have more energy eating this way. Kitten's acne gets very clear (when she does no fruit and no honey while on GAPS.)

Sometimes, the kids talk about eating non-GAPS. We do take occasional GAPS breaks (like for our cruise, and the hurrication we took for Irma.) I watch Kitten's acne get very severe, and Monkey's anxiety/anger flares. I get bloated. They are both able to observe this.

But, we talk about the future and the kids fantasize about being able to eat junk food whenever they want. (allergy-free junk food!) I tell them this: "When you are an adult, you have to decide for yourself what you are going to put into your body. Hopefully you will know enough to make the right choices. But, while I am responsible for paying for your medical bills, you will eat what I choose for you to eat." They both think this is fair and reasonable.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-17-2017), ECingMama (09-17-2017), Maedchen (09-17-2017), MrsHutch (09-17-2017), PlateauMama (09-18-2017), Pragmatist (09-17-2017)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04927 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,976KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below