Default Re: Homemade electrolyte rocks!

If I compared Gatorade as a sports drink here's how it would fare:
Gatorade:
sodium=110mg/8 oz
potasium=30mg/8oz

Homemade electrolyte:
sodium= roughly 500mg/8 oz
My sea salt reads 590mg sodium per 1/4tsp(1000mg=1 gm) and
Baking soda reads 150mg sodium per 1/8tsp(600mg if in baked food)
potasium=you could add a banana(422mg) or coconut water(about 300mg+30mg more of sodium)

If I added up the info below correctly, ideally one would want about 100/150mg of sodium per 8oz.(very close to Gatorade) or 500mg in heat( very close to the natural one)

I based the above on the following:
[i] "Most commercial sports drinks have modest sodium content in order to make them more palatable.
A person exercising in heat needs as much as 2gm [grams] of sodium per liter for proper recovery - which would make sports drinks taste like seawater (there is about 0.5gm of sodium per liter of Gatorade)."
"There is 1gm of sodium [40%] in every 2.5gm of table salt [and sea salt])"[i]

Though one could use salt I always use sea salt.
"Sea Salt vs. Table Salt
"Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market.
Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been
Stripped of its companion elements and
Contains additive elements [sometimes] such as aluminum silicate [please see note below] to keep it powdery and porous."

Since you asked about it for excersising I thought I would also post this for you:
"These drinks are not designed to be guzzled at the end of a long workout, but are meant to be sipped an ounce or two at time every 10 to 15 minutes during a workout. The sodium used in sports beverages are designed to maintain your blood volume during exercise, because it can decrease through loss of fluids, aka sweat. Plus you need make sure there is enough blood to deliver energy to the working muscles in the periphery. Sports drinks also provide carbs, which help maintain blood sugar levels to keep the brain functioning and happy (the brain is fueled by carbs). Mental fatigue can cause muscle fatigue.
You should drink a sports drink, I mean sip a sports drink every 10 to 15 minutes, if you are sweating and your heart rate is elevated, as in exercise, for over a half an hour. All you need is a sip, which is about an ounce or two — between an
Look for a sports drink that contains at least 500 to 700 milligrams (mg) of sodium per liter. Also select one you don't feel like you need to dilute due to taste, since you'll dilute the electrolyte and carbohydrate concentration as well. To avoid guzzling too much at one time since no one likes to run with a belly full of liquid, drink it in small amounts at regular intervals, every 15 to 20 minutes.
Fit's Tip: To figure out how much you need to drink, weigh yourself naked before and after a typical hour of working out. Then drink the same amount you lost. For example, if you lose two pounds during one hour of running, you need to replace about 32 ounces (two pounds) of fluid during each hour of exercise. This is the equation you should use if you are racing too. If you're consuming more than that, you're probably over-hydrating."[i]

Also if you take the following into consideration the ratio of the natural is much better for hydration:
"Athletes, professional ones, are shunning Gatorade for Pedialyte. The product has less sugar and twice the sodium of regular Gatorade. The important thing, when it comes to sports drinks, are your kidneys. Here’s a list of 6 things, according to squidoo that you should look for in a sports drink.

1. All six electrolytes (minerals) - Calcium, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Chloride. When you sweat, you lose all 6 of these. Then why do most sports drinks not have all six to replace what you lost?
2. A Sodium / Potassium ratio of approx 2.2 to 1 - this has to do with the Sodium - Potassium pump and the ability of fluids to be absorbed.
3. At least 100 mg of sodium. Your body cannot absorb fluids effectively without this!
4. At least 20 - 25 grams of carbs - but a mixture of 3 types - fast burning - like glucose so you get immediate energy - a medium burning carb like fructose - and a slow burning carb like maltodextrin so you have long term energy and prevent serious blood sugar fluctuation.
5. Should not have artificial colors or flavors - they do not improve performance and can be harmful if used consistently over a period of years.
6. Should not have any “natural” herbs or performance enhancers.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
cobluegirl (12-29-2010), delightedmama (07-27-2010)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05424 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,975KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below