View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and Prayers Re: Possibly Homeschooling

Praying God leads you in the way He wants you to go.

If patience is a requirement for homeschooling I'm in DEEP trouble because I most definitely do NOT have patience! I get LOTS of opportunities to practice that trait, but most of the time, I fail.

How much time we spend each day "doing school" varies day-to-day and season-to-season, it's more now that the big girls are bigger and we're doing preschool for Lina too. But definitely when Lexie and Ashlyn were Pre-K through 2nd grade, the time we spent "doing school" was similar to, or less than, what many of my friends' children spent doing homework. And if we had a bad day where one of the girls was just NOT handling it, we could set it aside and come back fresh teh next day. When kids are in school, they have to do stuff on the teacher's timetable, no matter how fried their brain is.

As far as behavior being better at school, part of that is that he knows you love him unconditionally, so he tests boundaries with you. But I also think, some kids, especially around that age, thrive on a routine/schedule, and knowing the rules. From the time Ashlyn was 4, she's wanted to know "what's happening next". To this day every night at bedtime she asks "what are we doing tomorrow", I don't always know, but giving her as much information as I can, helps her. When she was little I had a magnet board and homemade magnets with pictures of the things we normally did, and each morning we'd go over that board together, over time it changed to a written list (once she could read) and now, she just asks, and keeps it in her head, but still, that need to know what's expected and what to expect might be where his behavior deteriorates at home? I DEFINITELY see this with the 6 yr old who joins us for school 3-4 days per week. He needs very definite rules and structure, and then he's fine. When he first started coming over alot, I wasn't sure how it would work because I'm definitely more strict in some areas than his mom, there were days when I figured he'd be THRILLED to go home and get away from Miss LaRee who won't let me do ANYTHING, but he would beg to stay longer, and now he asks for some of those boundaries. An area that terrified me was that both him and his 3 yr old brother would ride WAY too close to (IMO), and even into, the road on their bikes. It TERRIFIED me, but their mom would just call them back and not seem concerned. When we hit a patch where I had them w/o her here for several days, I got out the sidewalk chalk and drew lines on the driveway and told them they were NOT to go over those lines. Now, if he's here and the rain has washed away the lines, he is quick to remind me to draw new lines, he likes and needs those concrete rules and boundaries. So, not sure how much of it is his personality and how much is his age, but I tend to see challenging behavior when he doesn't know what to expect. (and definitely they can figure out what the "rules" are with different people, even the 3 yr old, knows full well that he can get by with stuff if his mom's here, that he can't when I'm watching them).

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
tracierowe (07-09-2013)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05068 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,972KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)