View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Collected Past Posts about Touching/Grabbing Things that are Off Limits

============================================
Title: let's talk about touching and climbing
Post by: Beauty4Ashes on February 25, 2006, 10:06:12 AM
============================================

I don't like for ds to climb on the chairs on the kitchen table. I don't want for him to be touching the computer. I have tried redirecting him from both, physically moving him away. He still keeps going after the chairs and the computer. I guess the touching is more worrisome to me than the climbing because of dh. He just bought himself a new laptop so that he can watch medically relevant dvd's on it to study for the board exam. Ds's just want to touch it. About the chairs, there is not alot of space to move the chairs to another room and they are heavy to have to keep moving back and forth. He likes dh's chair or mine, the rest don't appeal to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: let's talk about touching and climbing
Post by: Embracing Grace on February 25, 2006, 10:19:32 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is probably not the advice you are hoping to hear, but I'd keep redirecting! We have the same issue with ds, he loves to climb EVERYTHING, and get into the dishwasher and the oven ( , I am ALWAYS present when the oven is on, so there is NO CHANCE of him getting in there when it's hot) and pull the racks out. He also loves the toilet.... It's pretty exhausting and frustrating to keep redirecting him, but after doing this for a loooong time, I can finally see some results. The climbing is still an issue, but he is finally leaving the dishwasher and the oven alone! I think he is finally understanding that it is futile to go after those things since I'll only pull him away and get him to do something else. So, I don't know if this helps at all, but I just wanted to share our experience and tell you that there is light at the end of the "redirecting" tunner, you just have to keep going!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: AmyDoll on February 25, 2006, 10:58:48 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd try to make sure that I was redirecting to something appropriate to climb - a step-stool, the stairs, a climbing something
As for the computer, since it's a laptop, can you put it up when it's not in use? I keep mine under the couch and my dh keeps his in the bag. At grandma's we say "that's grandma's and it needs to stay there, let's play with the blocks"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: Beauty4Ashes on February 25, 2006, 11:31:14 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They try to touch dh's laptop while he's using it. When he's not using it, it's up out of reach. With the desk top, ds1 climbs on the chair and touches the buttons on the computer or keyboard. I am thinking of bringing the keyboard (musical) from up stairs for him to play with instead because he loves plunking the keys and making music.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: ArmsOfLove on February 26, 2006, 01:20:10 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as much as possible I'd barrier the areas so they can't get to them. move chairs back from the table or put them upside down on it; close doors; block things with gates; etc. The less of a struggle it is the easier it will be to redirect

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: TulipMama on February 26, 2006, 06:49:44 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who has both spanked and redirected to enforce boundaries with toddlers, I just wanted to add in that for all the repetition I did with redirection--I did the same repetition with spanking or smacking hands.

Toddlers are bright. We know that. *grin* Sometimes we enforce a boundary once, and they get it. But the way their brains are developing, for some thing they need lots and lots of repetition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: mommy2abigail on February 26, 2006, 07:49:00 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITA with Tulipmama. We haven't spanked, dd is only 11 months, and luckily we found GBD early! But we have friends that Ezzo'd their dd, right down to the "highchair rules" (not touching their food-how dumb, how are they ever going to learn to feed themselves?!?!) Anyway, they also smaked hands for touching what she was not supposed to, and they smacked her everyday, multiple times. When we said we weren't doing that, they asked, well how will your dd ever learn what not to touch? We told them we'd just redirect, or teach her how to touch things gently. They responded, Oh our dd is way to stubborn to redirect, she would just keep going for it a hundred times. Uhh what do they think she is doing now?!?!? They still smack and spank for the same things they were smacking/spanking for three, six, nine months ago!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: milkmommy on February 26, 2006, 08:13:25 PM

those covers for the lap tops and keboards to protect from dust do a great jpb of detering little ones and protect your computer. Storing schairs upside down on the tables can also deter them, other than that redirrect redirrect and remember to reengage in something else as well to break the cycle.

Deanna

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: OpalsMom on February 27, 2006, 10:55:33 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big trick for us has been choosing what to redirect *to*. So if she's climbing on something inappropriate, I get out the stepstool and put it in the middle of the room and redirect her to that. We bought a used computer keyboard ($2, and a lot of companies have a cache of old broken ones they'll give you for free -- if your DH asks around at school he can probably find a free one), unscrewed it and clipped the cable off inside, put it back together and ran it through the dishwasher. It is now DD's keyboard. When we're on the computer we redirect her to it.

When it's my turn to use the computer, she can sit on my lap if she doesn't touch the computer (actually, she's allowed to touch the screen, gently, just not the keyboard). If she touches the keyboard, I put her down. Since this is the end of the world as we know it, this and a tiny bit of proactiveness (making sure she has something else to do, encouraging her to get "her computer" if she really wants to type) pretty well fixes the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by: Beauty4Ashes on February 27, 2006, 11:19:28 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, I think the 99 cent store even sells keyboards...It's worth a shot.
Tammy

Post by: milkmommy on February 27, 2006, 11:27:52 AM

a local good will will often have some "real ones" for a buck or so,

Deanna

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.07762 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,985KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end