View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #34
magpiedpiper
Rose Bush

magpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pet Peeve #5 by my own mom

DH and I talked about this some last night. I am still mulling it over. He does not speak the same way and thought I was doing it intentionally. While we were discussing, Hammy started to do something and without thinking I said something like "E can you please stop doing X while Daddy and I are talking?" She just kind of looked at me and kept doing it. I corrected myself and said "Stop doing X. You are too loud." And she said okay and went to do something else.

I think the way I TELL is too similar to how I ASK and is confusing.

Of course, then DH and I got into a discussion about first time obedience, and he thinks that regardless of how it is phrased, that the child should never say NO to the parent. We are going to talk about it more later though when we have time without distracting kids.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppinsIAin't View Post
This is another one of those grown-up things that NEVER made sense to me.

My parents did it all the time. And it drove me NUTS, because I could never tell if they really meant "please" or if they were just "being polite". Tone of voice, body cues, none of it "read" clearly enough to me, or consistently enough, and every time I thought I'd figured it out, I'd read someone wrong and get confused again. And then when *I* would use "please" as a just being polite thing, and get angry when the person said no, I would get told off for being disrespectful or getting above myself. Same if I just said "Do this, thank you." Even if it was just to my brother. I had to say please, and I wasn't allowed to get mad if the person said no, no matter what it was ("will you please get your trucks out of the toilet and go away so I can pee????" true story), but when an adult said "please", I wasn't allowed to say no. Very confusing, and all it really succeeded in doing was making me mad and obstinate out of frustration.

If you have a child that readily picks up on and understands unspoken social signals like tone of voice, body language, facial expression, then you may have more success with the "politely worded command". But if your child has any sort of hang-up in that area (whether it's age related, sensory issue, autism, etc), then he or she may a) not be able to grasp the "authority asks politely but it still means do it now" concept, or b) see right through the whole double standard of it and refuse to cooperate until the adults start to behave in accordance with their own rules! That's basically what happened in my head... I couldn't figure out the complexities of the game, so I just decided to stop playing until someone simplified the rules.

I've noticed this problem in the way I communicate too. I was so heavily conditioned to "ask politely" that I screw myself up in talking with my husband. Because he wasn't raised that way, when I say "Please think about what you want for dinner", he hears "Please think about what you want for dinner, and deciding that you don't want any is fine too." Problem is, what I really mean by that is "Decide what meat you want for dinner, go downstairs, get it out of the freezer, and put it in a bowl to thaw so that come 4pm I can cook it for you." And then 4pm rolls around, nothing's thawed, and nobody's acting like they have any intention of cooking, and I get mad because hello, the nursing mama needs to eat, people! So I'm trying to break the habit and say what I actually mean. Hopefully this will help when JJ starts getting verbal and needs me to be clear in my communication!

My childhood was JUST like that! And your second paragraph makes sense in relation to my DD1.

Now I have to think about how I always ask that Hammy say "No, thank you" if someone does something she doesn't like (ie trying to take a toy, or invading her personal space). Just a loud "No!" seems rude. Does the same thing apply here? She has a limited vocab still so I have to give her a script with words she can use.
Petie (05-16-2012)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05744 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,983KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo