Thread: Solar Panels?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I'd LOVE to get solar panels! The hold back for us is the start up costs. And also whether there's enough sun here in MI to make them worth it. Sounds like there's a good program in your area? I'll have to ask my hubby if there is something similar here....
I know that options are different for different areas, but we have zero start up costs. The plan is to take out a loan to pay for the system. Once it starts up, we basically exchange paying the electric bill for the loan payment on the panels. Once the panels are paid for, then we are done paying for electricity until the panels die. (That's a little over simplified. The panels have a guaranteed life span of 30 years, but they will die a little each year. At the end of 30 years, they will be 82% effective as opposed to 100% effective when new. We also will have a nominal fee electric bill. (For us, that's about $12 per month.)

Some months we will have to pay for electricity because we will use more than we generate (summer heat.) Some months we bank credits because we will generate more than we use. But over the course of 12 months, we should pay the electric company zero for electricity. (Nominal fee for having the account with the electric company.)

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
From what I've heard, your state is actively trying to make it difficult for individuals to have solar. The power monopolies don't want to lose the business.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/07/b...lar-power.html

I have quite a few friends who have solar. It's some extra work but they are very happy with it. No roof damage. Although some of them have a solar farm (panels on the ground).

What are your options when you generate more power than you can use? Batteries or will it go into the grid?

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Also, verify independently how much power you can expect to generate. And get multiple quotes.
Our extra power will go into the grid so we can bank credits for the months we spend more than we generate. We were told that the batteries are very expensive and not worth it. You still can't run a/c. You basically can use 4 plugs on the batteries. 1 fridge, 1 portable a/c, lights, and something else is what they would recommend. But, we average 6-12 hours of power outages per year, so that's definitely not worth the cost of the battery.

And yeah, we got two quotes so far, and they are very different in what they quote we will need to generate enough power. It's hard to compare!

I asked what happens if the power company will no longer play nice with solar. They said that the power company must honor your contract during the life of your solar panels. I'll have to verify that, but that sounds reasonable that the power company would be required to honor the contract.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05962 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,973KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo