View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #8
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evidently, I am terrible at dog training

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
Can I assume you have had him checked out by a vet to be sure the urination isn't a physical problem?

Also, be careful about the negative intent. 'revenge' 'pouting' might be issues related to stress and anxiety. I've had one or two of those that did work out over time. I've had otherwise 'normal' dogs who were terrified to go out in the rain. What you don't know about his early life might be critical.
We have spoken to the vet and she says there is no medical reason. At this point, I don’t need him to be not terrified of rain, but I do need him to be able to go out and do his business on a rainy morning instead of sitting and whining and then running inside and immediately peeing in my daughter’s room. Our vet suggested that we crate him and let him out to go outside, if he doesn’t do anything it’s back to the crate, and retry every 5 minutes until he has. However, that seemed to make him more anxious so I stopped doing that. Every morning we can, one of use just goes and stands with him or takes him for a long walk-but he’ll still refuse to do anything until back inside. Not always, but often enough that it’s a serious problem. In terms of positive intent-I honestly feel that revenge is one of the best descriptors since he does it when he’s unhappy with something we’ve done. We’ve told him to get down from the bed and he immediately went to our daughter’s room and peed . I do try to keep in mind that I’m pretty sure we were his first actual home. I still need tools to deal with these behaviors though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Would a rubbermaid type container with either sod or you grow some grass on dirt work for when he is inside? Thankfully our little revenge girl doesn't pee on things, but we can't trust her to not tear anything that is stuffed up...... I feel your pain.

We did by a giant 4 foot tall (for a medium sized dog) and large enough long for a crib mattress and we put a sheet over it when we want her to go 'nite nite'. She is terrified of noise and a wooden baby gate fell over, so she doesn't try to mess with our gates.

I am wondering if you are dealing with separation anxiety. Thus the crate/gate problem.

If your dog refuses to move in the harness, I would suggest starve him out.......let him pout, and place some of his favorite snacks three or 4 feet away and he will either crawl or forget how mad he is and get up to get the treats. We also do a harness..........our wild girl pulled really badly when she was younger (and if she gets scared, she will pull you to the door) One thing that I found that helps me keep her better under control and 'perfect side' was to buy myself a double handle padded leash. I think I found it on Amazon. it has a padded handle at the end of the leash and then there is a padded strap about 3 feet from where it connects with the dog harness. (Going down stairs was horrible until I got this leash........now I hold the end in one hand and the short handle in the other hand and we step each step one at a time. On the walkway she is beside me.)
He doesn’t like dirt either, so I’m not sure a container would work. He is moving more with the harness, just very slowly. Didn’t even chase a squirrel when I let him out this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Dog training is very specific. Dogs understand a select few reinforcements. Once you know what those are, almost any dog is trainable. Training can greatly reduce anxiety in many cases but not always. It is imperative that anger never factor in to your training and discipline. It's always "no" when the dog does something undesirable and always "good boy" (or whatever you use) the second he does what you want, even if you're really upset at how long he was doing the wrong thing.

If he pulled out of his collar, it was too loose. Most people have dog collars too loose. It is usually really hard to get an older dog used to a harness if he's always been in a collar.

Have you watched any YouTube videos on dog training? Or done any reading? Have you read about the hierarchy that dogs understand?

I have a friend who's a dog trainer. Here's a video she posted on Facebook that gives an example of how very well-meaning dog owners confuse their dogs about desired behavior.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...72453500949%2F

She has a few more videos on her page https://www.facebook.com/FeistyPetTr...00000123901405
I will check those pages out, thank you! I’ve read and researched as I can but a lot of the information is contradictory and sometimes very unrealistic (no matter how hard I try, I’m never going to catch him in the act 100% of the time, and I cannot just sit around the house all day every day training the dog.) I am very open to good resources and recommendations. Although I do think I need a lot of it broken down for me. The video you shared showed her having her dog “settle” and I would need to start froms scratch with something like that. The harness is actually a solution to a few different problems, although him slipping out of his collar was the big one. I really feel this needs to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
My sister is a dog trainer, she's gentle so no punishments or pushing the dog over or any crazy made up stuff like that. She has experience with highly anxious dogs. She does Skype training: https://www.amatterofmannersdogtraining.com/
I will check her out, thank you!
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-13-2018)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05715 seconds
  • Memory Usage 7,002KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end